Future of buffets?

I'd have no problem with typical buffets returning. We have a buffet where I live that is running just like normal. But I also wouldn't mind if there was a CM serving the food.

I would love to see buffets come back as “cafeteria style” that way there are still have a lot of options, but guests aren’t touching everything. I think eventually maybe sometime in late 2021 or early 2022, once the vaccine is well distributed, buffets will come back, probably with more hand washing/hand sanitizer stations
This! I can see why they went to family style for the time being, in order to avoid crowding in a food line, but I'm hoping that when social distancing can ease up, they either bring buffets back or convert them to "cafeteria style". Putting full glass around the food and having CMs serve the food. It will add some additional operational expense with the added staffing, but perhaps that can be offset by having fewer options or perhaps less waste since people won't be inclined to take way more than they plan to eat and portions would be more evenly distributed. They also would save by not having to do some level of construction or re-configuration to break down the buffet line in all the buffet restaurants.

I never felt grossed out by, say, Trial's End, but then I've never gone to one of those chain buffets where they don't watch what people are doing with the food.The main reason I liked buffets at DW was the diverse selections, but I don't see why cafeteria style service wouldn't work, with food behind protective barriers. I'm not a fan of family style, as again, the selection wouldn't be there. If they don't return some iteration of buffets, I'd just probably go to a regular restaurant.

*I should mention that my s/o and I have different eating habits--I'm extremely lactose intolerant while he isn't at all; he likes his salads and meat based protein (he does a lot of weight lifting) while I can't eat too much meat due to health reasons. It would be hard to get a family style dinner where one of us wouldn't have to sacrifice a desired food.

I think once 70% of the population is vaccinated buffets will be back. There’s too much money to be made to let that go.

I'd rather have them remain family style than convert into cafeterias. Cafeterias are TOO "ooh I'm in school" for me.

Because they are "floating petri dishes", many cruise lines shifted to multiple, smaller specialty stations, with staff serving the food (a.k.a. cafeteria style). This not only cuts down on cross-contamination but saves a ton of money in wasted food. Plus the smaller individual stations are less frustrating and quicker to approach when you want just one item, instead of waiting in a long line.

Although I avoid AYCE scenarios to avoid a over-indulging, I'd consider family-style as I'd rather not get up during my meal...I like to be served when dining out.

there is a reason people get more sick nowadays

I would say it has to do with people traveling between opposite sides of the earth in a handful of hours, people being able to commute to work 1-2 hours as the "norm", school districts that encompass 300+ square miles, and the fact that diseases will evolve over time in some manner and new diseases that never existed before will become a thing.

I think once 70% of the population is vaccinated buffets will be back.

So maybe in 2023? Combination of delay in getting everyone access to the vaccine in addition to people choosing to wait to see how others react to the vaccine. I am not even sure if we get to 70% when we can't even get 50% of the US to take a flu vaccine. Also will want to see how simple it is for an uninsured random American to simply walk in and get the vaccine for $0.

Although I avoid AYCE scenarios to avoid a over-indulging, I'd consider family-style as I'd rather not get up during my meal...I like to be served when dining out.

I like AYCE as you can enjoy a variety of food but completely understand about the overindulging. I am not a buffet fan normally, do like Biergarten, but prefer the Disney Cruise Line style where its actually a plate they bring (possibly with more control on serving size).

I guess maybe they do it differently since I am solo, but when I have been at AYCTE places I feel like what they have brought is pretty much one serving and then if I want more I can ask.

I would think you could ask your server for smaller portions to begin and ask for more of what you want if you want.

I'd rather have them remain family style than convert into cafeterias. Cafeterias are TOO "ooh I'm in school" for me.
Kind of comparing apples and oranges, IMO. Family style means there are fewer options and you're reliant on your server for everything, which makes it more time consuming. I think Disney favored the buffet approach because tables turnover faster and it requires less staffing. Cafeteria style would essentially be the same as buffet style, but would require more staffing. I am certain the Disney higher ups are doing some modeling to see what the best option will be from a cost perspective, and that's the route they will go. My guess is they will keep family style in place and will go back to buffets eventually, if/when it becomes socially acceptable again.

In Vegas we went to a couple of buffets (pre covid) where the food was in small dishes that were pre dished, so you just took the dish
I'm familiar with those buffets too. Its my understanding that even those buffets are not operating right now. Even though its a step above having communal trays of food that everyone reaches into, it still puts people in close proximity of the food and nothing prevents people from touching the other servings, taking one and putting it back, etc.

I'm familiar with those buffets too. Its my understanding that even those buffets are not operating right now. Even though its a step above having communal trays of food that everyone reaches into, it still puts people in close proximity of the food and nothing prevents people from touching the other servings, taking one and putting it back, etc.
I did not say they were. Here is my thought -They will come back the people that liked buffets will go back to them.

I'm not a fan of buffets. Garden Grill, Liberty Tree Tavern and Ohana have always been more enjoyable to me. So, if someone from WDW were to put me in charge for a day, I would vote for AYCTE platters brought to the tables. But, I cannot deny that some people LOVE buffets, so I don't see them going away.

I did not say they were. Here is my thought -They will come back the people that liked buffets will go back to them.
I took your post about the individual servings at Vegas buffets to imply that Disney should adopt that as an option to solve for the contamination issue at buffets. Was that not your point? I mentioned that those Vegas buffets with single servings are not currently operating as a way to say that it doesn't seem like that's an acceptable fix for buffets in the current Covid environment.

I think ( and hope) that buffets are gone for good.
Family style is the way to go.

Possibly they will have manned stations but guests won't be near the food...not sure how that would work.
I certainly don't agree. At Disney, maybe. But as we own a buffet style restaurant, I'd hate to see them disappear everywhere. I'd like to have my business and livelihood back.

I certainly don't agree. At Disney, maybe. But as we own a buffet style restaurant, I'd hate to see them disappear everywhere. I'd like to have my business and livelihood back.

Well it seems as though a lot of people like still like them, so I'm sure they will be back in some way, shape or form.

Good luck and I hope your business comes back soon.

Legit question

Have you ever thought about Family Style and from a cost perspective do you see it being more or less expensive and in what areas?

Edit - Just to add I suspect some of this might be "rebrading" for a local restaurant which might be a huge issue as people become confused regarding your restaurant compared to Disney where people filter in pretty much no matter what.

Personal Thought:
I would never go to a buffet outside of Disney or a very local steakhouse that has a small station Prime Rib buffet only on Saturdays. There likely is others that have my same thought and when we talk on this thread its about Disney not local restaurants elsewhere.

Last edited:
Legit question

Have you ever thought about Family Style and from a cost perspective do you see it being more or less expensive and in what areas?

Edit - Just to add I suspect some of this might be "rebrading" for a local restaurant which might be a huge issue as people become confused regarding your restaurant compared to Disney where people filter in pretty much no matter what.

Personal Thought:
I would never go to a buffet outside of Disney or a very local steakhouse that has a small station Prime Rib buffet only on Saturdays. There likely is others that have my same thought and when we talk on this thread its about Disney not local restaurants elsewhere.
Did you visit buffets (other than Disney) before Covid?

Buffets have never been the most sanitary model, so true germaphobes before Covid likely never visited buffets anyway. I would never expect that to change. But with the heightened cleaning protocols nearly everywhere and people in general being more cognizant about hand sanitizing and washing hands, buffets will be cleaner and safer than ever once the world is in a position where things like that can operate again. So, it doesn't make sense to me why someone who would visit buffets before would not do so again after the Covid craziness settles, especially when the vaccine is in full effect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter