• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fun Non-Character Dining for 5 Year Old

FireflyTrance

DIS Veteran
We are going on a short trip to celebrate my daughter's 5th Birthday in February. Last trip we did 3 character meals and I am feeling really burned out on them. The only one I want to go to this time is Ohana since we have never been there and we are staying at the Polynesian. Please suggest any non-character meal restaurants that you think would be fun for a 5 year old. They can be at any of the 4 main parks or any of the monorail resorts. Thanks!

Be Our Guest is fun and you can meet the Beast at dinner (not considered a character meal), 50's Prime Time, Sci-Fi Drive In, and I'd also recommend looking at T-Rex or Rainforest Cafe if your 5 yo won't be afraid by those places.

'Ohana would have been my first pick but since you already chose that, what about Hoop De Doo? It is fun for kids but is not a traditional character meal.

ETA - T-Rex or Rainforest Cafe would be great too.

We had a great meal at Hoop De Do Review. Kids and adults laughed the entire time, they pointed out people having birthdays, anniversaries, etc and the food was pretty good. Everyone eats the same meal and the dessert (strawberry shortcake) was excellent.

So is Hoop De Do Review more fun than the show at the Polynesian? I would like to try one of these dinner shows. We have never done one before.

So is Hoop De Do Review more fun than the show at the Polynesian? I would like to try one of these dinner shows. We have never done one before.

Spirit of Aloha is nice. The first act is a bit campy and boring. The second act has all of the dancing and the fire twirling. The food is good as well, IMHO, however, HDDR is definitely the better experience! Great food, fun servers and really fun show! Plus, the WDW stables and a playground are right next door which makes the whole evening fun. If your daughter meets the height requirement (can't be above a certain height, but I can't remember what it is!), she can ride one of the ponies. You could even combine this with the Chip and Dale sing-a-long! Especially if you are doing O'hana dinner (which I think is a great choice - super fun for the kids), HDDR would be my pick as the atmosphere and food are fairly similar at SOA.

Other fun restaurant ideas - Coral Reef to see the aquarium, Biergarten to see the band, Teppan Edo, plus the ones mentioned by the PP's.

Thanks for the input! I think HDDR sounds like the most fun then, I'll just have to figure out how to get there from the Polynesian.

Hoop Dee Doo is easily the most fun we have had the last 3 trips. Always a blast. I would suggest Whispering Canyon as an alternate though.

Thanks! I will try HDDR once I am at 180 days out. Hopefully it won't be sold out.

I'm thinking T-Rex and Biergarden would also be good choices. My daughter is fearless and would probably like the dinosaurs.

Biergarten has a really fun band and dancing for the kids. We also like San Angel Inn--the "storms" are fun and the Three Caballeros are in the building.

Biergarten has a really fun band and dancing for the kids. We also like San Angel Inn--the "storms" are fun and the Three Caballeros are in the building.

Thanks, I have been wanting to try Biergarten the last few times we went, my daughter would love the dancing part :)

I would suggest Sci-Fi Drive In, it is the only place that my then 4 now 5 year old nephew asked to go back to for the trip this year. Also T-Rex is a great one, they have a fun play area while you are waiting for your table, lots to see and explore and the food is good.

I know this doesn't meet your request of the 4 main parks or a monorail resort, but Sanaa at Animal Kingdom Lodge is great. Lunch isn't crowded and a seat by the window overlooking the savanna can't be beat. Plus, the resort in and of itself is amazing to see and the kids loved hanging out at the savanna overlooks while we were there

Last edited:
I'd also recommend HDDR, and of not that Whispering Canyon. I love HDDR and greatly enjoyed Whispering Canyon.

Beirgarten is fun too. My family used to eat there every trip when my dad went.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter