Fuel rods?

Boardwalk III

DIS Veteran
Not sure if this is the right forum to post in, but could someone provide a brief overeview of fuel rods and how they work? Can you only get them in the parks or can you buy them online in advance etc. While I have an extra charger for my Iphone it’s fairly bulky and heavy, and with Genie’s need for all day phone usage (ugh) I think I need to find another solution for our trip which is in 2 weeks!

Many thanks.

Buy one in advance from the Fuel Rod website, to save $5. They are $20 on the website, plus $5 shipping.

You can see where the kiosks are in parks and resorts on the MDE app, under Guest Services.

One note, they are lousy chargers. I do use mine, because I bought it years ago, and swaps are still free. I also know where the kiosks are, so I just swing by and get a new one when it is convenient. But they will only charge your phone part way. Great in a pinch, and they are super light and small, but don't count on one to charge a smartphone fully, much less more than one.

Better to buy a new more powerful charger somewhere else. Some are now quite small.

Buy one in advance from the Fuel Rod website, to save $5. They are $20 on the website, plus $5 shipping.

You can see where the kiosks are in parks and resorts on the MDE app, under Guest Services.

One note, they are lousy chargers. I do use mine, because I bought it years ago, and swaps are still free. I also know where the kiosks are, so I just swing by and get a new one when it is convenient. But they will only charge your phone part way. Great in a pinch, and they are super light and small, but don't count on one to charge a smartphone fully, much less more than one.

Better to buy a new more powerful charger somewhere else. Some are now quite small.

OK good to know, Hadn’t seen a couple of the responses when I first replied.

Also sold on amazon.

Thank you, I was able to get a 3-pack on Amazon (as we have a large party traveling together) for $45, free shipping with prime etc. Other people must have the same idea as shipping is at least 10 days out. 😂 I’m also going to buy myself a new full-power portable charger, hopefully smaller/lightweight. If anyone has recommendations I’m open to them! Thanks all.

Also, be aware that in addition to not being able to charge a phone fully, they also get very hot while charging.

Good to know. I’m hoping just use these as back ups as we have a party of 12 traveling together, And I’m guessing not everyone will think to bring chargers 😊

These are third party, not Disney, and many times they run out. Please don't yell at the CM's if it is out of rods or isn't working properly (speaking from experience) 😟

Just my opinion. I purchased an Anker 20000 mah power bank new for $25 on eBay. It’s bigger and heavier than the Fuel Rod, but can charge several devices on one charge. still fits nicely in my mini-backpack. There’s smaller cheaper ones too.

I debated getting the Fuel Rod, but for the price they seem to be more work than they are worth.

I got a similar one on Amazon, it works great and I can get two or three charges for my new phone (one+) and it charges it totally to 100%. I did have to buy a separate cord since the one that comes with it is for Apple. I bought a really short one so I can just put the charger with cord attached to my phone in my pocket or hold it in my hand no problems. Mine has little lights on it that indicates it's charge level and I just recharge it at night when it's getting low. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GQS8R3...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

For security, I put it in my hand along with my phone when I go through. Some have said you don't have to and some have said you do. The one time I didn't, I got flagged and had to empty my bag, which just had the fuel rod and a poncho in it.

As far as Disney charging for exchange the fuel rods, I thought if you bought a new one, they charged for the swaps but if you bought one before they started charging and registered it, you could swap for free. That was what they were doing last year but they may have changed it back.

Not sure if this is the right forum to post in, but could someone provide a brief overeview of fuel rods and how they work? Can you only get them in the parks or can you buy them online in advance etc. While I have an extra charger for my Iphone it’s fairly bulky and heavy, and with Genie’s need for all day phone usage (ugh) I think I need to find another solution for our trip which is in 2 weeks!

Many thanks.
If I were you I would look into a case for your cell phone that has a backup battery built into it. I've used this for my iphone and it is **much** easier then carrying around a spare charger. Basically the case goes over the existing charging port, and when you charge your phone at night, you charge it through the case. Here's an example of one I use for my iphone 8: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QFPWLRX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There are a ton of different brands and they make them for all models of the phone. Much easier then having to fumble with a spare charger and wires in my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter