• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ft wilderness ques- cabins/golf cart etc

SpaceMania

Mouseketeer
We will be staying in a cabin for the first time, and in have a few questions!

Is it possible to get a rollaway bed? It says it sleeps six but I can't imagine two adults sharing a double sized Murphy bed. :confused3

Is smoking allowed in the cabins? One in our party has severe allergies and leftover cigarette smoke would be miserable for that person.

Are there lights on the grounds, or is it dark at night?

Are these cabins kept as clean as the resort hotels?

How much does a golf cart run and will it hold 5 people? Would it be smarter to get a golf cart and use the bus system or just rent a car?

I am not a camper and worried about the cabin idea. Thanks for any help!

I don't believe you can have a rollaway bed really no room. My DH and I stayed in the double bed and were fine.
No smoking is aloud in any Disney resort including the cabins.
Yes the grounds are lighted.
Yes they are kept clean.
the golf carts are abut $55-65 to rent. they hold 4 adults and a small child.
For us it didn't have the camping feel because we were not in a tent. The cabin has the kitchen and the closed off bedroom which is nice. The grounds are very large and quite. You will see lots of wildlife and it is so pretty. The one thing is that if you are wanting the feel of going to the shop with ease it isn't that easy. Everything is so spread out.
If you were going to rent a car, you can have one vehicle in front of your cabin.
Hope this helped, have a great time it is so nice there.:thumbsup2

Is it possible to get a rollaway bed? - Dunno

It says it sleeps six but I can't imagine two adults sharing a double sized Murphy bed. - I'm "Pooh Sized" (aka fat) and I had no trouble fitting comfortably in either bed with my gf. If it gets a little tight, theres still a couch that of very comfy

Is smoking allowed in the cabins? - No

Are there lights on the grounds, or is it dark at night? - The roads, driveways, path to the cabins and cabin deck are all well lit

Are these cabins kept as clean as the resort hotels? - Yes

How much does a golf cart run and will it hold 5 people? Golf carts from Disney are $59/day and I think they only hold 4 people. There are other places that will rent you a cart and deliver it to the fort for you for cheaper and they also have carts that will hold up to 8 people.

Would it be smarter to get a golf cart and use the bus system or just rent a car? - Gold carts are not required at Fort Wilderness but they sure do enhance the experiance. If you are patient and don't mind waiting the bus system is acceptable as well. The advantage of having a golf cart over using busses is that if you want to leave Fort Wilderness, you can hop in the cart and drive to the main bus station or to the docks. Without a cart, you have to wait for a bus to take you to another bus which you may or may not have just missed.

Personally I never rent a car when staying at the fort. I get a golf cart and use Disney transportation.

I am not a camper and worried about the cabin idea. - Cabin "camping" is far from roughing it. I'm not a huge fan of the outdoors but the cabins are my first choice for every trip. I like the privacy of having my own building and not having people right next to or above/below me

Thanks for the responses! Makes me feel a lot better. I think we'll get the cart and squeeze. We're all pretty small so hopefully it won't be an issue :thumbsup2

Thanks for the responses! Makes me feel a lot better. I think we'll get the cart and squeeze. We're all pretty small so hopefully it won't be an issue :thumbsup2

Well a 4 person cart is only supposed to be for 4 people. Others will have to respond if they enforce it.

Cart rules and FW rules in general are a slight "hot button" here.

Just to add to other posts. You are not at all in any way "camping" when you stay at a cabin. You get the same level of service as any other WDW resort. But with just a ton more room.

Hi. Smoking IS allowed on your deck, but I have honestly never seen anyone smoking or been aware of it. Depending on your location, you can smell the campfire at the Meadows. Would that be a problem?

Internal buses run very often and in my opinion an internal to external bus at the Fort takes less time than the multiple bus stop resorts, definitely less time than the trip from the Boardwalk to the MK, with the stops at the Swan and Dolphin.

One other point, when you say "rent a car", just be aware that you are not permitted to drive within the Fort, other than to and from the front entrance and your cabin. You are allowed to drive to the Trading Post, there are a couple of parking spaces, but that's it.

We love the Fort and would recommend it above every other option.

most of your questions have been answered but my 2 cents
-the rooms are as clean as any normal hotel/moderate room
-the carts really make the campground fun to explore. i wouldn't bother renting a car. there is a lot of charm/fun to the act of driving your cart to the store or the beach, parking it, hopping on the boat, doing a day at MK then coming back at night and getting back in your cart (not a single bus was seen that day)

the biggest drawback to the cabins are the beds. my girlfriend and i are in our 20's with no kids; we really would've preferred a queen or king instead of the bunk beds and murphy beds. but i guess we aren't exactly the target audience

most of your questions have been answered but my 2 cents
-the rooms are as clean as any normal hotel/moderate room
-the carts really make the campground fun to explore. i wouldn't bother renting a car. there is a lot of charm/fun to the act of driving your cart to the store or the beach, parking it, hopping on the boat, doing a day at MK then coming back at night and getting back in your cart (not a single bus was seen that day)

the biggest drawback to the cabins are the beds. my girlfriend and i are in our 20's with no kids; we really would've preferred a queen or king instead of the bunk beds and murphy beds. but i guess we aren't exactly the target audience

I couldn't agree more! This is a great resort and provides an experience unlike an other found on Disney grounds. It would be our go to resort each trip...except for the beds. If I were Queen of Disney, I would remove the double beds and bunks and put a king size bed in the bedroom! In at least some of the cabins anyway!
:3dglasses

. . . I am not a camper and worried about the cabin idea. Thanks for any help!

1) We are not campers.
2) At least in the sense of RV's, Pop-Up's, Tents, etc.
3) My idea of "roughing it" is when the TV Remote dies.
4) But, we love the Cabins and stay in them 2-3 times per year.
. . . kept as clean as a hotel room
. . . all the utensils, pots/pans, miscellaneous one needs
. . . PLUS, THE CABINS ARE IN THE FORT
5) Where else can we
. . . get a furnished hotel room
. . . have no one but campers around us
. . . enjoy the camping life and activities
. . . meet other people who actually talk, instead of mumbling as they walk by you

NOTE: You will have a truly wonderful time at The Fort. A wonderful time, that
is IF you want a friendly guests, nice surroundings, numerous daily activities,
green-green-green everywhere.

Oh well...

So much for me asking Scupper if he wanted to tag along and tent camp Cades Cove this fall.

Oh well...

So much for me asking Scupper if he wanted to tag along and tent camp Cades Cove this fall.

Well, :offtopic: for this thread I guess, but oh how we love Cades Cove! Have ridden our bicycles around it many times, but we prefer to camp at Elkmont (but not in a tent for us though, ;)). Oh, the memories we've had, and still make there. :)

We love the cabins!! We're going back to stay in them in Nov. FW is by far one of the best resorts at WDW. Just some advice from our standpoint. There are very few negatives, but there are some minor things to be aware of. There is only one bathroom and if you're taking 6, this is pretty difficult. There are not many places to store luggage. Cots are not available. It is quite a walk to get to the meadows or trading post. Solutions to these are: request a cabin near the entrance of the 2600 loop (these are near the pool, public restrooms, and laundry); plan on stacking luggage; bring an air mattress; and rent or bring a golf cart. Now some positives! There are so many! You have a fully stocked kitchen, a grill, separate sleeping areas, plenty of space, your own deck with picnic table, and your own parking space (you can only park one vehicle here unless they are very small vehicles; other vehicles must be parked in the main parking lot). The busses do run very frequently and will take you wherever you need to go pretty quickly. You can take a boat to MK (we really enjoyed this). The marshmallow roast with Chip and Dale is great (bring marshmallows)! There is a nice outdoor movie area with a huge drive-in type screen. You can watch the fire works and electric water parade from the beach (love this!!). Trail's end restaurant is actually quite good (no cafeteria at this resort)! We haven't tried Hoopty Doo or Mickey's backyard BBQ yet, but we've walked by them and it sounds like a great time. If you enjoy nature, this is a fantastic place to enjoy it. There is a horse ranch, petting area, play ground, fishing, bike riding, hiking, swimming, carriage rides, and canoe rentals for days at the resort. If you just want a day at the cabin, the deck is a wonderful place to sit and relax (my mother is a smoker and she used the deck as her smoking area). It's a very family friendly atmosphere and it's totally laid back. As a special note, I f you're going during Halloween or Christmas, they go all out and a lot of campers decorate. It's incredible to see how some of them really go all out. We went for Halloween 2 years ago and it was an amazing time. This resort knows how to make Halloween fun! Hope this helps you! I think you're going to have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter