Frosty Towels, are they worth it?

TravelMommy

DIS Veteran
princess:Hi, saw Frosty Towels on a vlog and I see they sell them in the parks during the summer. I have a friend traveling to WDW in August (yikes!) are Frosty Towels worth it??, and does anyone know how much they sell them for in the parks? I am thinking, may be able to get a better deal online? TIA!!! TM

Ours were a life saver last Aug & are getting packed again this year. We were a party of 6. I bought 3 & cut them horizontally to save some $. Worked like a charm.

I cut ours down too! They are HUGE. I notice Disney actually had something similar at the snack stands last summer. But they were, of course, way more than you'd pay in the real world. I think ours were $9 at Dick's and Academy Sports (Dick's didn't have pink!).

princess:Hi, saw Frosty Towels on a vlog and I see they sell them in the parks during the summer. I have a friend traveling to WDW in August (yikes!) are Frosty Towels worth it??, and does anyone know how much they sell them for in the parks? I am thinking, may be able to get a better deal online? TIA!!! TM
We found ours at Ross. $5.99 for one. I bought both!!

They're all fairly similar, and basically the same as synthetic chamois. It's a thin "sponge" of PVA (polyvinyl acetate) with a stronger backing that helps keep it from ripping. You can buy any PVA drying towel or "chamois" in the auto-parts section. However, they tend to cost about as much as a cooling towel, though the ones for drying are bigger and might make two towels if you cut them in half.

You can also use a microfiber towel or even a cotton towel. They just will dry out faster because they don't hold as much water.

Sounds like something my friend and I might want to have for our September trip.
I'd just like to ask, do you cool them with cold water before you leave for the park and then they just stay cool or do you bring maybe a bag of ice and wet them as needed? How do you keep them cool?

TIA,

Karen

Sounds like something my friend and I might want to have for our September trip.
I'd just like to ask, do you cool them with cold water before you leave for the park and then they just stay cool or do you bring maybe a bag of ice and wet them as needed? How do you keep them cool?

They cool via evaporation. When water evaporates, it absorbs a lot of heat, cooling the surrounding area. It works better when the humidity is lower, and when there's a breeze, because both of those increase the evaporation rate. On a very humid day they might not work much at all, but luckily it's usually low enough humidity in Florida that the towels stay cooler than the surrounding air.

When they dry out enough that they aren't very cool, you just wet them again in a sink or water fountain.

They cool via evaporation. When water evaporates, it absorbs a lot of heat, cooling the surrounding area. It works better when the humidity is lower, and when there's a breeze, because both of those increase the evaporation rate. On a very humid day they might not work much at all, but luckily it's usually low enough humidity in Florida that the towels stay cooler than the surrounding air.

When they dry out enough that they aren't very cool, you just wet them again in a sink or water fountain.

Thank you dmunsil.

We took them last August and loved them. I kept each one in a ziplock bag with a little water and stored them in the fridge in the room overnight.

Sorry for sounding dumb, but can if you have them wet and keep them in a bag or the holder can you take them on your carry on on the plane?

Sorry for sounding dumb, but can if you have them wet and keep them in a bag or the holder can you take them on your carry on on the plane?
They need to be a little moist just to be flexible enough to roll up or fold. If you let them dry completely they get stiff as a board (like a sponge, which is what they are). So I would think you could have them moist in there. If they were sopping wet they might show up as liquid on the scanner, but moistened shouldn't be a problem.

I purchased a number of the FrogTogg brand at one of our major wholesale outlets two years ago, to give as holiday/birthday gifts for some folks traveling in our Disney party that year. I later purchased a few, more-inexpensive off-brand cooling towels from an online outlet. Those who remembered to pack them found them to be lifesavers, even in October/April, while the others stared enviously and learned their lessons. Wish I'd first thought of cutting them in half as that great idea would have been a prudent $ saver! Each brand I purchased was certainly large enough to do so, and each brand was just as good as the next for their purpose. I store mine in a zip-lock bag vs. using the plastic tube some come in. Saves packing space and keeps the towel "properly" hydrated. I also have laundered mine, repeatedly, with excellent results. As an aside: My brother-in-law (whom I'd purchased one for) later made me aware that some blue-collar, industrial type employers who operate a lot of heat-producing machinery in their production shops provide these very-same cooling towels to their staff, and expect them to be single-use items to dispose of after their shifts. Given that they launder like a charm, he informed me that he had a dozen or two he might have sold to me for a slight fee...:P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter