Frontier Airlines

Dakota731

DIS Veteran
Anyone know when winter dates will be released? Their flights are less than a third of the cost of Southwest for us so I’m getting impatient waiting!

It's a reason why they are cheaper...once you add everything in they are not much cheaper! Also, the comfort is not good and the customer service is terrible. Just had to say something because I flew them once and will not again. Hopefully, your experience will be much better! Sorry, I didn't answer your question I just seen the name and the wound is still fresh.

It's a reason why they are cheaper...once you add everything in they are not much cheaper! Also, the comfort is not good and the customer service is terrible. Just had to say something because I flew them once and will not again. Hopefully, your experience will be much better! Sorry, I didn't answer your question I just seen the name and the wound is still fresh.
we fly them. a checked bag is less than a carry on. under seat is free
not super comfortable but for less than 3 hours to Fl iit's fine. other than SW which got rid of most non stops it is heaper since you have to pay for luggage and seat selection on other carriers too. it's a bus in the sky, no frills.

We used them last year and our personal experience was great. And their one way flight is $69 compared to SWA $215 so quite a difference even with a checked bag. My husband will carry on so we save there. I just wish they’d release more flights. It’s been forever!

Worst. Airline. Ever. Have tried them twice, had nothing but trouble, not to mention they have the most uncomfortable seats imaginable. I was more comfortable on a park bench. Spirit is comparable in cost, and still offers direct service to MCO.

Have flown Frontier several times and never had any issues. Always seemed well organized and departed on time. It mostly depends on where you are traveling to/from as to which airlines offer the best arrangements/prices/non-stop/etc. If you live near a hub city for some major airline, you will typically have more non-stop choices. If you only live near a small airport, then choices tend to be limited, usually connect through a larger city and prices often higher. Popular travel destinations tend to have more airlines competing for the same customers.

With any of the lower cost airlines, have to add up the cost of ALL extras you might be using. While the 'base' price of ticket seems lower with some airlines, once you add in all of upcharges it isn't nearly the bargain it first appeared to be. With most airlines, if you don't want to pay the added charge for a larger/more comfortable seat nearer the front of the aircraft, then you will be seated further back in rows of smaller seats.

Last edited:
Ugh….never again. Anyone old enough to remember Frontier 1.0? Not the current 2.0 incarceration….much better then (but most of them were back then). We’ve been pretty happy with Alaska.IMG_1971.jpeg

I’m booked on them again for August. They’re no frills, but they fly direct to MCO from my local airport. I like that their “unbundled” pricing means I can get my family to Orlando and back for way less than other carriers. We are really good at bringing only backpacks to avoid baggage fees, and I set a reminder to check in right at the 24-hour mark. We generally get seats together, even if they are near the back. Not the most comfortable seats, but it’s only for a few hours, and the upside of not being able to recline is that no one is reclining into me. The only part that makes me nervous is if the flight gets cancelled because they don’t have a lot of other options to get me where I’m going. Haven’t been stranded yet.

I used to love Frontier, but if you haven't flown in/out of MCO recently, watch your personal item bag size. They require every passenger to check the sizing in the little guide/box at the gate when boarding. If your bag doesn't go in on its own, they make you pay $100. It can also create quite a sizable delay getting on board and a high level of frustration among all the passengers.

I used to love Frontier, but if you haven't flown in/out of MCO recently, watch your personal item bag size. They require every passenger to check the sizing in the little guide/box at the gate when boarding. If your bag doesn't go in on its own, they make you pay $100. It can also create quite a sizable delay getting on board and a high level of frustration among all the passengers.
What do you mean by “on its own”?

What do you mean by “on its own”?
So they have those little "box" things at the gate to show you how big your bags can be. They are relentless about the fact that your bag must go in and out without you pushing it in. Even if your bag is the right overall dimensions but slightly larger on one side or another, they will enforce the $100 charge. Passengers on my flight were literally putting on layers of clothing so their bags would fit.

Also, with both Frontier and Spirit, they begin assigning passengers who have not paid for seats at the back of the plane during check in. I try to wait until there are almost no more full rows available when traveling with my family. If we check in 3-5 hours before the flight, we're generally between rows 4-13.

So they have those little "box" things at the gate to show you how big your bags can be. They are relentless about the fact that your bag must go in and out without you pushing it in. Even if your bag is the right overall dimensions but slightly larger on one side or another, they will enforce the $100 charge. Passengers on my flight were literally putting on layers of clothing so their bags would fit.
Thanks for the details. A few months ago Frontier confirmed paying gate agents a $10 bonus for every bag they “catch” at the gate. I’ve seen the uptick in enforcement discussed in other forums, but it seems like some places are more aggressive about it than others.

I understand enforcing the extra fees is their business model, but there’s a difference between stopping people with bags that are obviously too big and delaying a flight because you’re arguing about a duffel bag being lumpy on one end.

We’ve always just taken school backpacks, but because they aren’t very structured, they tend to bulge in the middle, and I think I’d probably have to push to get them to flatten out to the right dimensions. Amazon has personal item backpacks that are designed specifically to fit in the sizers, so I’ll probably buy another one or two just to be safe. Paying $30 for a new backpack beats paying $100 for a nit-picky fee.

I understand enforcing the extra fees is their business model, but there’s a difference between stopping people with bags that are obviously too big and delaying a flight because you’re arguing about a duffel bag being lumpy on one end.

We’ve always just taken school backpacks, but because they aren’t very structured, they tend to bulge in the middle, and I think I’d probably have to push to get them to flatten out to the right dimensions. Amazon has personal item backpacks that are designed specifically to fit in the sizers, so I’ll probably buy another one or two just to be safe. Paying $30 for a new backpack beats paying $100 for a nit-picky fee.
They don't delay the flight. Pay or you don’t board. No discussion

Frontier still sells tickets for $1 plus taxes. The fees are their business model.

They don't delay the flight. Pay or you don’t board. No discussion

Frontier still sells tickets for $1 plus taxes. The fees are their business model.
Other people have reported boarding taking extra long when everyone is made to check baggage. And people taking out things to make bags fit, going to the back of the bag check line to try again. Others have reported slipping on with probably-too-big bags because the gate agent was distracted by other passengers holding up the bag check line by arguing with the gate agent with a whole line of people behind them waiting for the bag checker. Sometimes a flight is already delayed by the previous flight coming in, and the gate agents add to the delay by insisting everyone check bags rather than efficiently boarding everyone. I’ve definitely seen people try to get on with bags that are too big and I agree they should be stopped and made to pay, but most people’s items conform to the rules so it’s just a waste of time to make someone go back and put a purse in the sizer (as reported on another site).

I’ve flown Frontier several times with no issues.

When I used Frontier out of Tampa it was definitely passengers that were the problem not the staff. There were NUMEROUS announcements about the personal items, and the wording is all over website about personal items, and the ability to check for yourself if your bag fit long before the plane left.

Plain and simple, it was one family and one other guy throwing a fit and trying to argue their way out of the fee. They sat there with their comically large bags through all the same announcements I did. They knew.

No $10 commission would make staff want to deal with that nonsense. It was just another example of people being entitled.

Thanks for your opinion. I always fly United to MCO. Several times a year and I play the 'plane game' to keep seeing if the astronomical fare (this year is shocking!) is coming down. This Sept trip is a total nightmare and so expensive. I've never even come close to paying that ever.

I've never flown Frontier though I have heard some less than desirable comments over the years and I'm mentally trying to get a backup if UA is still insane. I've even been keeping an eye on (horrors!...) Spirit. American Airlines which I used to fly years ago to Disney has literally one direct flight now (can't believe it as it was our 'go to' airlines, and that one flight leaves far to early for my DD travel companion. And it's very expensive also. This has turned into a nightmare.

But I really, really dread Frontier (thank you for the comments) and Spirit and desperately hope I don't have to give in.
Never flew Southwest because it always left from a far from me airport. Now they fly from O'Hare but figuring out SW is so complicated for people like me who have never flown it. It's so very different for me (I'm old).

So keeping fingers crossed that UA comes down but not holding my breath. Again, I appreciate all the comments for something like Frontier that I have no clue of.

Never flew Southwest because it always left from a far from me airport. Now they fly from O'Hare but figuring out SW is so complicated for people like me who have never flown it. It's so very different for me (I'm old).
Curious what is hard to figure out with SW? I fly SW a lot so maybe I'm just used to it. You get your 2 free checked bags. Flights are super easy to change/cancel & you get credit or refund depending on what kind of ticket you booked. You check in 24hrs before the flight to get your boarding position, then board & pick seats in order. They've got it down to a science so the boarding process at the gate is quite smooth.

Thanks for your opinion. I always fly United to MCO. Several times a year and I play the 'plane game' to keep seeing if the astronomical fare (this year is shocking!) is coming down. This Sept trip is a total nightmare and so expensive. I've never even come close to paying that ever.

I've never flown Frontier though I have heard some less than desirable comments over the years and I'm mentally trying to get a backup if UA is still insane. I've even been keeping an eye on (horrors!...) Spirit. American Airlines which I used to fly years ago to Disney has literally one direct flight now (can't believe it as it was our 'go to' airlines, and that one flight leaves far to early for my DD travel companion. And it's very expensive also. This has turned into a nightmare.

But I really, really dread Frontier (thank you for the comments) and Spirit and desperately hope I don't have to give in.

So keeping fingers crossed that UA comes down but not holding my breath. Again, I appreciate all the comments for something like Frontier that I have no clue of.
SW isn’t that complicated if you just assume you need to pay for early bird check in. They let you check 2 bags free and you can bring 1 carry on and 1 personal item free.

SW lets you check in manually at 24 hours before. Early bird checks you in automatically at 36 hours. You get your boarding group (A, B or C) & position (1-60) within which is the order in which you can board the plane where you pick any open seat.

In my experience families with small kids don’t pay for early bird because SW lets those families board between groups A and B where there is usually enough open seats. You want group A to board before them. I paid for early bird last trip and got A26-29 going down and A29-32 going back.

The only other airline for direct for me is JetBlue and with paying to check bags there Southwest even with the added early bird was cheaper (and Costco sells discounted SW gift cards to bring it down even more).

SW isn’t that complicated if you just assume you need to pay for early bird check in. They let you check 2 bags free and you can bring 1 carry on and 1 personal item free.

SW lets you check in manually at 24 hours before. Early bird checks you in automatically at 36 hours. You get your boarding group (A, B or C) & position (1-60) within which is the order in which you can board the plane where you pick any open seat.

In my experience families with small kids don’t pay for early bird because SW lets those families board between groups A and B where there is usually enough open seats. You want group A to board before them. I paid for early bird last trip and got A26-29 going down and A29-32 going back.

The only other airline for direct for me is JetBlue and with paying to check bags there Southwest even with the added early bird was cheaper (and Costco sells discounted SW gift cards to bring it down even more).
You make it sound a lot easier than the website so thank you. I noticed there were 4 categories. Is it important to take at least the 2nd or 3rd one? The Boarding procedure sounded complicated because I have credit cards for both UA and AA and boarding is a given as group is auto on the ticket. So SW sounded complicated. Didn't know about the gift cards (I'm a Costco member but never looked at SW cards before as I always had fairly reasonable fares on UA especially....gone are the days).

Thank you for your help. I know I keep hearing about how wonderful SW is for changing flights and I'm sure that's one of the reasons it's so popular. Now that it flies out of O'Hare, I hope to be more knowledgeable about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter