"Freebie" visits?

msmom595

Earning My Ears
We are looking at doing a very quick, impulsive trip to Disney in February, for one week. :cool1:

Right now we each have one day left on our PHP's (two adults, one 9 yr old, and the baby (11 weeks) will be free, obviously.)

I'd like to do one more day at the parks, in addition to the one we have already.

But for the other days, where can we go without needing a ticket into a park? I read that we can go to the Rainforest Cafe near Animal Kingdom without a ticket, since it's not actually in the park.

Are there other things we could do/see without theme park tickets? We would be staying at Fort Wilderness, so we'd be on property.

Also, Is it worth it to get tickets for a waterpark in February, or will it be too cold? I'm thinking my 9 yr old would like Disney Qwest, but if it's warm enough, DH and DD would like the waterparks more.

Thanks for any help - this board is a treasure trove of Disney info!! :)

Since I live in Florida, we always only go for one day. I know around here it's unheard of, but we know people and get in free. Anyway, we normally make a 3 day trip out of it. We will be there from Friday morning, thorough Sunday afternoon. Friday we will spend some time at the hotel pool that night, go to the the campfire singalong and movie at Fort Wilderness, which is free. Saturday we will go to the Magic Kingdom, and then Sunday we will probably spend a little more time at the pool and go to Downtown Disney before going home. I realize that in February, you may or may not be able to swim. I guess that one is up to your tolerance and the whether. I wouldn't waste money on a water park though. There is also the boardwalk. YOu can make an afternoon (or morning) out of walking around there and stop at beaches and cream for lunch and ice cream and play games at teh arcade. You can also ride the monorail around or tour the resorts, there is so much to do at disney, I could stay a week without going into a park and stay busy!

Thanks, Christina! So, the Boardwalk is free to enter/visit? And what about Downtown Disney? I thought I needed a ticket or plus option to get in there?

The boardwalk is free and so is Downtown Disney. You have to have a ticket or plus for Disney Quest. I've never been, so no comments on that. But Downtown Disney has 3 sections: Westside which has DQ, movies, etc, Pleasure island, which is clubs adn all, and then Marketplace, which is the only place we really go. It has lots of shops/restaurants, etc. A lego store, toy store, lots of fun stuff to look at to kill the day. Oh, and i h ear they just opened a store where everything is under $10. Sounds like where we will do our souvineer shopping this year!

ooohhh, Downtown Disney sounds great - just the type of stuff I'm looking for! I'll add it to my list. Thanks!

There are lots of fun things to do that are free around Disney. You can use Disney transportation (bus from Ft. Wilderness) to go to Down Town Disney. There is a Lego Playground that my kids loved. There is also a McDonald's for a quick inexpensive meal. My children love the Once Upon a Toy store at DTD. They have Disney exclusive toys and a Fill Your Own Mr. Potato Head box deal. We love walking around and looking. From Ft. Wilderness you can take a ferry boat over to Wilderness Lodge and look around. The Whispering Canyon Cafe is a GREAT place to eat. They have a nice gift shop and the lobby is amazing. You can always take a ferry to MK and hop on the monorail for a ride. There is a resort monorail that takes you around to the Grand Floridian, Contemporary, etc. You could get off and explore the other resorts. Ft. WIlderness itself has some great FREE activities. Theri is a nightly campfire get together with Chip and Dale where you can toast marshmallows and watch a Disney movie. HAVE FUN!

Definately Downtown Disney will keep you busy quite awhile and it is absolutely free!! Stores, stores and more stores. :)

I always say I'm going to take a day and just do Downtown so I don't have to rush but alas, it never happens :(

How lucky are you to actually get a whole day. Oh, and as the OP stated, walking the boardwalk is free too.

By the way, welcome to the Dis! :wave:

Thanks for all of the ideas! I am writing them down to research and help us plan.

Are we able to just wander into the lobbies of the other hotels? We'd like to check some of them out for future trips. And are we able to use the pools/swimming beaches of the other hotels? If not, is there a good place to swim that has sand? We'd like to get a little bit of a beach experience and I don't think we'll have time to make it to one of the coasts. (plus, I want to get some cute beach shots of the baby! :) )

You will only be able to use the pool at the hotel (Ft. Wilderness) you are staying at. They do not allow swimming in Bay Lake, so even though Ft. Wilderness has a beach, you are not suppose to swim in the water there. The pools are heated, so if you happen to be there during an unseasonably warm day, you might want to swim at the Ft W pool or go to Blizzard Beach (TL is closed during Feb).

You are free to visit any and all of the resorts. Each of them will have gift shops and restaurants. Some of the larger ones also are nice just to walk around and enjoy the atmosphere (CBR, Poly, etc).

The Boardwalk has several shops and restaurants ... especially in the evening you might also find some sidewalk entertainment (free) and there are also a few carnival games ($$).

Don't forget the minature golf places - one near the Swan/Dolphin and one next to Blizzard Beach.

Lot's to do on property without going into the parks.

Thanks, everyone! I am really hoping we can squeeze this trip in!

FortheloveofDisney: Thanks for the welcome. I read the boards a lot, but don't post much because I don't have enough Disney knowledge to be of much help, and most of my questions are covered by other posts!

RE Disney Quest--
is your 9 year old a boy or girl? Do they like video games? My 8 year old DD is only interested in the arcade games, which you have to pay extra for, while my son at the same age could have opened and closed DQ and never surfaced.

Check out mousesavers.com and she has a listing of "free things to do in WDW". It's great! We print it and take it every time we go! :cool1:

Just an FYI: the lego store in DTD is being rehabbed so it might be closed when you're going.

FW has the campfire program - that's free (if you bring your own smores kit) and you get to meet Chip and Dale.
AKL has tons of kids' program and so does WL. Just ask for a sheet at the front desk.
At Once Upon a Toy in DTD you can make your own Mr. Potato Head on a computer and then print it out. Nice free souvenir for the kids.

The beach at WL has a playground right on the beach, and I've never seen it busy at all. There's also a nice beach at the poly you can use to watch Wishes at night.

Ride around in the monorail from TTC to Epcot and back. That's always fun.

Go to POR at night and you can catch Bob Jackson perform in the lounge. He's a hoot and of course it's free if you don't buy drinks.

Go to AKL and watch the animals, either during the day or at night. At dusk, they also have storytelling by the firepit.

Take the boat from DTD to POR and play in the POR playground or go fishing at the fishing hole. It's not free to fish but not expensive either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter