• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free stuff on your birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While very awesome that OP was the recipient of all this pixie dust, it's definitely not the norm. We've had several bday and anniversary trips and have learned to go in expecting nothing, but whatever we buy to make it special. The thing is, even more consistent places don't always do things for guests who are celebrating. OP got no cake at CRT, but we've always gotten at least a birthday cupcake...sometimes an ice cream presentation as well. On the flip side, I remember going to California Grill one time for my birthday...everyone pumped me up, saying I'd get their standard special dessert, but I got nothing...not even a happy birthday.

The problem was with me...not them. I learned to never go in expecting more than good food and good service, and to create the pixie dust rather than expect it. We now do things like ordering custom cakes and planning cocktails for celebratory drinks.
The key lesson to note is the CM can do lots of various things to acknowledge celebrations and they get full leeway on deciding when to do something. Nothing a guest can do to be the recipient of the CM's generosity either. Probably lots they can do to be the one the CM chooses NOT to acknowledge though. So you have it exactly right, go in expecting nothing more than you would any other meal on any other day and if you really want something special, plan it yourself. Otherwise, let something special happen, or not. And most of all, don't let a meal where nothing happens spoil the meal.

I appreciate the OP sharing what happened, it's fun to see. But honestly, I think posts like these often do more harm than good because so often it prompts folks to expect the same, no matter how many warnings are given not to

On my daughter's second birthday she got SO MANY MICKEY STICKERS at the MK! And she was over the moon about it. No special food items or anything for us, she wouldn't have cared about that. But she thought the tram guy, and monorail workers, and custodial, etc were handing her real treasure. I still find them in our luggage.
We go again on her fifth birthday but I won't mention anything because who knows what may or may not happen. I figure being at disney is enough :)

Yeah you definitely got a boatload of pixie dust. My family has been going to WDW forever. We went every year for my son's birthday for probably 20 plus years and also many many years for our anniversary. There have been cupcakes, balloons, cards, well wishes etc over the years, but we have never received anywhere close to what the op received. If we really want something we arrange for it ourselves. I agree with what a lot of veteran disers have said. While it is wonderful that the op got so much it makes people think that really happens all the time. It doesn't. Please don't think this is the norm. I have never posted any "little extras" I have received in all my trips to Disney because I never want people to expect that it will happen to them. Actually this is one thing that I don't like about the internet. People read stuff and think that upgrades are given out left and right and celebrations are over the top. Makes for a lot of disappointment and imho a lot of the bad news posts.

Your mileage may vary, but I am young-at-heart thirtysomething girl, dining alone, and wearing a Happy Birthday button. On my actual birthday, I wore 3, one for each year I've celebrated a birthday at Disney, plus the Canada button, because my birthday is on Canada Day. And I wore a tiara to dinner on Saturday.
.....snipped....
Saturday dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table was quite disappointing. The add-on Champagne list said Happy Birthday, but I don't drink, and had already spent $80 on the meal. All 4 princesses wished me a Happy Birthday, and said they'd have a cake made for me (Ariel said she's have Chef Louie do it, Jasmine would ask Genie, Princess Aurora would ask the fairies, and Snow White would ask the dwarfs). But then, dessert did not include cake, because I didn't order cake. If you bring little ones to the castle on their birthday, you might wanna make sure a cake shows up, so they don't realize that the princesses are a bunch of liars.
..... snipped.....
Monday breakfast was at The Wave. Didn't get anything special.
Monday lunch was Liberty Tree Tavern. Didn't get anything special.
.....snipped.....

And for what it's worth, there were no birthday bonuses at the dessert party.

You wore 4 buttons and a tiara, and were upset because not every meal was super special for your birthday weekend? And characters are liars because they would ASK about cake, but it didn't magically appear- never mind that the characters have no control over cake?!?!
Really?!?!

Actually this is one thing that I don't like about the internet. People read stuff and think that upgrades are given out left and right and celebrations are over the top. Makes for a lot of disappointment and imho a lot of the bad news posts.
I attribute these posts, and similar reports on Facebook in general, as a major contributor to the demise of many extras at Disney, like towel animals. And also a big contributor to an uptick in the bad CS reports you hear about too.

I am going to echo the others in saying that although it is fantastic that you received so much pixie dust that this should NOT be expected as the norm. I have celebrated my actual Birthday at WDW every year for almost 10 years (always wear a button, although just one) and in total I have received: one cupcake and one glass of champagne. I think that the champagne wasn't even necessarily birthday related, as we were at Yachtsman Steakhouse and my husband had just broken his foot, and I had to change my birthday plans at the last minute (it was difficult for us to leave the resort to make our original plans and we were at YC) so I think that our waiter could tell that it just hadn't been an ideal day and took some pity on me...

I attribute these posts, and similar reports on Facebook in general, as a major contributor to the demise of many extras at Disney, like towel animals. And also a big contributor to an uptick in the bad CS reports you hear about too.

Yeah those stupid Disney articles that say CMs are not allowed to say no. If I read another one of those I might scream. CMs most definitely can say no or correct unsafe behavior etc they just have to be courteous/polite about it.

Your mileage may vary, but I am young-at-heart thirtysomething girl, dining alone, and wearing a Happy Birthday button. On my actual birthday, I wore 3, one for each year I've celebrated a birthday at Disney, plus the Canada button, because my birthday is on Canada Day. And I wore a tiara to dinner on Saturday.

Ok, so I'm going to agree with others here (sorry if I duplicate any or most of what others have said to this point).

So you're a 30-something girl, solo on a trip. Cool. Lots of fun.

You wore 3 birthday buttons, a Canada button and then a tiara? C'mon, you were diggin for freebies... Admit it. No one will get upset. If you have it marked on your resort reservation that there's a birthday while there, that's about the only way you'd have a balloon and card waiting in your room. So there's one that you pushed for and never said anything about it. As far as the restaurants? 3 birthday buttons will get anyone's attention. Side-eyeing a kids birthday dessert to the point a server felt guilty? That's sad. Also, on all reservations it can be noted that there's a birthday within the group. If this was mentioned everywhere you went, it's not hard to see why all the freebies came about.

I strongly dislike when people go to Disney expecting freebies due to the buttons. Yes, we normally go around my birthday. No I don't make a big fuss about it. Sure, I put the button on in the morning, but guess what... by the time I get into the parks, I forget I have it on and am normally confused when I get the attention, lol. I've gotten to the point that I put the button on my camera bag now.

This is not the norm for birthday gestures. Many things, I believe, were left out of this report. Sure, there are servers who pixie dust, but not every single one of them as reported pretty much above. There's several ways to emphasize a birthday, with your reservation, at check in, etc. These all seemed like they were pushed for, and part of the reason it gets harder and harder to have pixie dust moments.

OP, I would never expect to be this lucky with ANYTHING like this in the parks again.... unless, it's forced, like this seemed to be.

Last edited:
I think as many people are saying here, we are glad you had such an awesome trip and so happy for you. But truthfully, a thread like this could be dangerous, as people will go in expecting this kind of pixie dust and become agitated and possibly ask to see managers when this kind of pixie dust does not arrive as anticipated. Unfortunately, it's behavior like this that makes pixie dust happen less and less over the years. Again, I am extremely happy for you and I mean that sincerely, but please readers of this thread, do not expect that this will happen and or visit the same restaurant(s) as the OP expecting the exact same treatment!

I think as many people are saying here, we are glad you had such an awesome trip and so happy for you. But truthfully, a thread like this could be dangerous, as people will go in expecting this kind of pixie dust and become agitated and possibly ask to see managers when this kind of pixie dust does not arrive as anticipated. Unfortunately, it's behavior like this that makes pixie dust happen less and less over the years. Again, I am extremely happy for you and I mean that sincerely, but please readers of this thread, do not expect that this will happen and or visit the same restaurant(s) as the OP expecting the exact same treatment!

She was upset that she didn't get freebies at places...

Passholder went pressing for freebies on a solo trip... :headache:

I've spent 4 or 5 birthdays at WDW or DL. Other than a couple of cupcakes, one card, a Mickey Bar and a free Ice Cream Sundae at the old BW Ice Cream Shop I've received nothing. Not even ever a balloon in my room despite the birthday being noted on the reservation. So I averaged one freebie per birthday trip. One would think that at least one of those trips there might have been a balloon left in my room. At this point I expect nothing and am surprised if I get pixie dusted.

Sorry, there's one more thing I have to ask. Did you inform your server that you did not drink before she brought you the champagne at AP? If not, why were you upset? You're a grown woman, and based on your multiple buttons, were clearly advertising that it was your birthday. A complimentary glass of champagne is a lovely and not-cheap way of recognizing your celebration!

I'd have to say it was so over the top because you were alone. But hey, good for you. I have been on my bday once before and got nothing but birthday wishes, which is fine.
I'm bringing DD next month on her 10th birthday and am kind of hoping for a little extra pixie dust but I'm certainly not expecting anything more than a bunch of "happy birthday"s. Hoping, but not expecting and definitely not telling DD to expect anything.

Ungrateful and oddly obsessed with cake.

My hubs doesn't drink either but when we were gifted two celebratory champagnes during our disneymoon by a CM, he didn't tell the CM he didn't drink but can he get something else! We just smiled and said thank you. Just happy to be at Disney to celebrate our marriage and that someone took the time to recognize it!

My hubs doesn't drink either but when we were gifted two celebratory champagnes during our disneymoon by a CM, he didn't tell the CM he didn't drink but can he get something else! We just smiled and said thank you. Just happy to be at Disney to celebrate our marriage and that someone took the time to recognize it!

There's too many people anymore that want that "attention" and like the OP here, are bound and determined to get it. Like I said, there's a lot she probably DIDN'T tell us. I mean, the balloon and card in the room is a dead giveaway she was trying. Not to mention 4 buttons and a tiara...

A recurring message of this thread though, and a good one is:

Don't go expecting this.

I've witnessed others at WDW trying to push CM's into things and it didn't end well for the guest. They got offended, mad, everything under the sun because the CM's want to pick people for magical moments... not be FORCED into them.

I'm glad you had so much pixie dust. I agree w many on this thread. As a former CM, there were days that I had 100 "Birthday" guests. If possible, I also wished them a Happy Birthday, which is fun. As I was mainly in merch, I didn't really have much I could do but give them a button if they didn't have one yet (if we had them in stock, we constantly ran out of stickers). I did work in a store w a caseline but was never told that I could give pixie dust for anything. I was in the college program, so we also walked on more eggshells. I have a friend who did give out cake pops as pixie dust more often than anyone else but she has been there for years & mentioned it was fine, for her.

As a guest, I usually got Happy Birthdays at both Disney and Universal (my favorite was the cm who said I looked younger), but that's it. I recently took a trip to Universal for my anniversary and we both wore pins. We seemed to get a bit more notice by the photographers, but I also bought and wore the photo card. They also congratulated us a lot. For us, that was still very special.

P.S. I had many guests ask me why they couldn't get free admission for their birthday.

Am I the only one that thinks you were being ungrateful to the CMs that bought you champagne to celebrate? Even if you don't drink, just smile and say thank you
No, you are not alone
The way I was raised that is called being gracious and polite
I simply can not fathom turning up my nose or complaining about a gift. I'd be haunted for life by my meemaw

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter