Free Kate

20,000 text messages! Holy Toledo!

The fact is...everyone- male, female, or other- knows the law....or if they don't know the law letter by letter....they know the gist if the law...once you start heading in the 17, 18 year old age range, you have to be very, very careful with your relations. You have to be certain of ages, if you have ANY questions at all that someone might be in the dangerous age range....don't do it!

In the grand scheme of things, is there a difference in 3 or 4 years between people? No. But, there is a HUGE difference between 14 and 18. Just like there is a HUGE difference between 18 and 22.

The fact is, and this is the case with the Johnny Manziel situation....we are not supposed to look at things and apply what we think the law SHOULD be or what we think is fair...the fact is, we go by the laws in this country. If you think a law is stupid...fine, but that is not an excuse to not abide by it. You either change the law or you abide by it....or you don't follow the law and you face the consequences...that's the options.

Our local news has a new story about this girl everyday. I had sympathy for her in the beginning, but not anymore. She's digging herself a big hole.

I guess the defense of "I didn't know it was against the law" that she and her mom tried to use is out the window.
And 20,000 text messages, plus lewd photos and videos? Did her parents seriously never teach her ANYTHING? Never leave a paper trail- or a digital trail as it has become. Especially when you are facing charges.

Kate had better cash in her college fund for prison commissary credit.

Our local news has a new story about this girl everyday. I had sympathy for her in the beginning, but not anymore. She's digging herself a big hole.

Would you have sympathized if it were your 14 year old child?

I guess the defense of "I didn't know it was against the law" that she and her mom tried to use is out the window.
And 20,000 text messages, plus lewd photos and videos? Did her parents seriously never teach her ANYTHING? Never leave a paper trail- or a digital trail as it has become. Especially when you are facing charges.

Kate had better cash in her college fund for prison commissary credit.

Bolded by me. Her parents knew way back in March that the contact was happening. If I was the parent, Kate wouldn't have access to anything to do texts, phone calls, or anything to send video, especially after they knew she was violating the order.

In the court motion, the mother, Kelly Hunt Smith, contacted (texted) the child victim on March 26th, 2013 after the "no contact" order was in place.

This is from the court motion:

"From the context of the messages, the defendant's mother learned of the unlawful contact and thereafter initiated improper, ostensibly illegal contact with the child victim. In the messages, the defendant's mother tampered with the child victim. She solicited the child victim to obstruct the judicial process, instructing her to destroy the evidence of unlawful contact. Specifically, Kelly Hunt Smith texted the child victim, "Delete EVERYTHING... My # is (I am not posting the number) and my email is (I am not posting the email). PLEASE delete everything and make sure NO ONE finds out you've spoken to Kate at all."

I had sympathy for her before I heard the whole story. When I first heard about it a lot of the details were left out. I didn't actually know that her girlfriend was 14. I thought she was older, but not yet 18.

I had sympathy for her too in the beginning, but this is obviously way past the normal teen relationship. This girl has more issues than just the normal 18 year old senior that is attracted to the 14 year old freshman.

Being 18 doesn't make her a predator, being obsessed with this girl might though.

I think that most people here that have said they would not immediately press charges on the 18 year old were not talking about someone who has acted the way this girl has acted.

I disagree. It IS about homosexuality, NOT about age.

There's no way to know that these parents wouldn't have handled the situation similarly if Kate had been a male; homosexual or hetero it would be equally unacceptable to me if my minor child was involved.

Being 18 doesn't make her a predator, being obsessed with this girl might though.
I too had sympathy for Kate when the thread first started. However, Kate's obsession of the younger girl brings the scenario of "two girls in luuuvvvv :lovestruc " to a whole different level. It really does smack of predatory behavior ... the exact kind of behavior that the law she is being charged under is meant to protect younger kids from. I hope that this is a wake up call to Kate's parents that she needs help and she needs it NOW.

The younger girl's parents may have initially been angry about the homosexual relationship, but I agree with others that the older girl has not changed her behavior and, instead is displaying behaviors that would be deeply concerning to me as a parent. The fact that she did not change her behavior when ordered to as a condition of her pretrial release is an indication of either predatory tendencies or possibly a psychopathic belief that the rules don't apply to her. As a parent, I would absolutely support my child in a same-sex relationship, but I would equally absolutely worry about her or him in a relationship with somebody who didn't feel that the laws and judicial orders apply to them, regardless of the gender and sexual orientation of her/his boy/girlfriend.

The bottom line is there are not two sets of laws. Only one. It should be applied fairly to all.

20,000 text messages is not a high number for teenagers these days. I'm not sure the photos and videos are out of the norm either.

And I haven't seen this addressed yet...

The dating options for lesbians in high schools is statistically quite low. If 2% of girls are lesbians...there would be 10 in a high school of 1000. Now, not all girls are out at the beginning or even end of high school. Then you have to factor in personal preferences because obviously you wont be attracted to every other person of the gender you are sexually attracted to. So, statistically, the chances of an out lesbian high school student finding someone to date at their school is miniscule. If you had one chance to date during four years of raging hormones while everyone else around you is going through multiple relationships, would the 14-18 age difference matter in the scheme of things? Granted, my math will be off because obviously some girls are bi and some experiment...but the numbers are still pretty grim.

I still do not know of any other lesbians that went to my high school. Gays, yes...but not lesbians.

There were five lesbian students at my college of 6000. None were "out" and two of them arrived as a couple. Everyone but me was over 40. One was still married and had kids.

I was the only "out" student at my Catholic college later on of somewhere near 2,500. There were about 30 gays who were out to at least one other gay guy but zero lesbians (besides me) that were out to anyone in the GBLTQ community on campus...though I suspected there were some that weren't out to even themselves yet. There were two lesbians who were a couple and graduated the year before I arrived.

It seems a whole lot easier to tell a straight person to move on to a more age appropriate dating partner than a lesbian in this situation, because there just aren't other lesbians to date at school.

It would be nice if teens and parents knew these challenges early on so that there could be open and honest discussions about healthy dating. 14-18 seems awfully far apart IMO, but in order to stop something like that, there needs to be a healthy replacement.

20,000 text messages is not a high number for teenagers these days. I'm not sure the photos and videos are out of the norm either.

The dating options for lesbians in high schools is statistically quite low. If 2% of girls are lesbians...there would be 10 in a high school of 1000. Now, not all girls are out at the beginning or even end of high school. Then you have to factor in personal preferences because obviously you wont be attracted to every other person of the gender you are sexually attracted to. So, statistically, the chances of an out lesbian high school student finding someone to date at their school is miniscule. If you had one chance to date during four years of raging hormones while everyone else around you is going through multiple relationships, would the 14-18 age difference matter in the scheme of things? Granted, my math will be off because obviously some girls are bi and some experiment...but the numbers are still pretty grim.

I still do not know of any other lesbians that went to my high school. Gays, yes...but not lesbians.

There were five lesbian students at my college of 6000. None were "out" and two of them arrived as a couple. Everyone but me was over 40. One was still married and had kids.

I was the only "out" student at my Catholic college later on of somewhere near 2,500. There were about 30 gays who were out to at least one other gay guy but zero lesbians (besides me) that were out to anyone in the GBLTQ community on campus...though I suspected there were some that weren't out to even themselves yet. There were two lesbians who were a couple and graduated the year before I arrived.

It seems a whole lot easier to tell a straight person to move on to a more age appropriate dating partner than a lesbian in this situation, because there just aren't other lesbians to date at school.

It would be nice if teens and parents knew these challenges early on so that there could be open and honest discussions about healthy dating. 14-18 seems awfully far apart IMO, but in order to stop something like that, there needs to be a healthy replacement.

So you are making excuses for her to break the law? I don't care if she only knows one person to have sex with at her age. Kate is not above the law just because she is a lesbian. She can wait to have a sexual relationship with an age appropriate person.

Second, my DD's high school has a lot of openly gay people. Not only that, they do not have a difficult time finding a gay partner their age.

I have total sympathy with your arguemnt however, in this case, all of that is beside the point because Kaitlyn violated the terms of her pre-trial release. She's probably going to jail.

I have total sympathy with your arguemnt however, in this case, all of that is beside the point because Kaitlyn violated the terms of her pre-trial release. She's probably going to jail.

As she should.

I agree that I understand the PP's comments, but they are not, in any way, an excuse for Kate to break the law.

Well, I think that number of texts in that amount of time is crazy, but that's beside the point. She broke the pre-trial terms (and how!) and seems to have no restrain or respect for the law.

As for dating in high school...not all teens date. Lots of them graduate high school without a boyfriend/girlfriend. They survive. There's life after high school

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter