Free Dining VS Rack Room Rates?

WhispyPixie

Forever A Princess
For all those number crunchers out there....

Had anyone ever calculated the value of Free Dining VS paying rack room rates? If so how much of a value is it? I would imagine it would be greater for value & maybe moderate resorts? Just wondering if all the "Free Dining" hype is worth it. Would appreciate peoples thoughts and takes on this.

It depends on the number of kids and adults in the room, how much rack rate is, how much the discount is, and whether or not the DDP itself fits a particular party's eating habits. I'm no longer booked there, but when I was at CBR, rack rate averaged $200/ night for my dates. The current discount (which doesn't even have availability for my dates) offers 25 percent off rack rate, so even if there was availability, it would only save me $50/ night. We have 2 adults, 1 child, and a toddler, so the DDP cost is around $165/ night, which is obviously a much larger savings.

A standard at Pop is $126 for our dates. The room discount is 20 percent but the cheapest category is pool view, which comes to $105, so a savings of $21. The QS DDP has a value of $113/ night. Free dining is obviously the better deal in this scenario.

Currently, we are at SSR in a 2 bedroom villa with 4 adults, 1 child, and a toddler. We were switched from CBR due to the construction so are receiving the villa for the price of 2 CBR rooms. But going off of full rack rate for the villa of $670/ night, 25 percent discount takes it to $502, for a savings of $168/ night. Cost of DDP is $305/ night for everyone. Again, free dining is the winner. Even if we only had our original party of 4 in a studio or 1 bedroom, the room discount for each would save us $126, yet the DDP for the 4 of us would be $165/ night.

The smaller the number of people in the room, the lesser the deal free dining will be, but I thought it might be interesting to provide a look at all resort categories for our particular party. Everyone's situation varies, but for us, free dining is the best deal regardless of where we stay on property.

general rule, the more in a room the better the FD deal.. if a couple share a delux, the room discount is usually better deal.. also keep in mind you are foced to buy tickets with most likely pH upgrade and min. night package. they way I calculated it over the years, a family of 4 in a moderate is the best deal.. as if you have 4 adults over 18 you pay I believe 25 per person a night?? correct if wrong, for each true adult after 2.. but 2 adults and 2 disney kids ( or kids adults) and in a STANDARD room...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter