• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free Dining . . . I want it . . . help me!

Good idea. I do need a 2 bedroom though. Isn't renting about $10/pt? I don't think I'd get enough for the room, although I haven't looked, that's just off the top of my head. I'd rather Disney just give us free dining if we meet all other qualifications.
But you don't meet all other qualifications. The qualifications are 1) go during a certain time of year 2) pay rack rate to stay at a room 3)buy 2 day park hopper or water park and more tickets

Yes! But so many of the posts about it seem angry to me, as if people shouldn't even want benefits.
You have to understand that in almost every case, people who post this question are coming at it feeling entitled. It simply shows that they don't understand what's going on with DVC or "free" dining either one. It's like those that were upset if the AP special didn't work for them or those that couldn't understand why the valet parking was taken away. The reason it's not offered to DVC members is that it has cost and the members would have to pay for it in one way or another. All perks that are non contractual are basically free to DVC itself other than some management costs which we pay for. Members can have the FD, they just have to go the cash route to do so. Or they can pay for it, usually coming out ahead by doing so.

deedisneydream97 said:
We stayed in a studio for one night before moving to a one-bedroom, so we were able to purchase the deluxe dining plan for the one-night stay.
We've only tried the Dining Plan once -- but did the same. A 'split stay' is a good excuse to add a Dining Plan for 1 or 2 nights.

Other than that, we've made good use of TIW and its earlier manifestations.

Deluxe resorts get the regular plan, same as moderate resorts. That makes it even less of a "deal" however you look at it.

Wow! What snack are you getting for $6? That's a great deal :goodvibes

Okay, my bad. I thought a few years back that the deluxe resorts got the deluxe dining.

The pricier snacks at Epcot are during Food & Wine and Flower & Garden. We got ones priced from 6 to 6.75. Actually $7 at F&W (lobster roll). Fisherman's stew is another one that is more than $6. I cringe when I see people using their "snack" for a bottle of water.

Dining plan is okay for one night....I just could not eat like that for 7 days.

It never ceases to amaze me that people cannot seem to grasp the concept that free dining isn't free at all. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Ever heard that one before?

If somebody got something for nothing, somebody else got nothing for something.

Free dining (for the umptenth billioneth time) is nothing more than a game of misdirection. Put something over in this hand so he doesn't see what the other hand is doing.

You simply cannot get something for nothing. Somebody paid for it. Guess who that somebody is when it comes to free dining. Here's a hint. I wasn't Disney. ;)

Why people can't seem to grasp this simple concept is beyond me.

In case you guys haven't noticed, free dining is being gradually diminished as to the times it's available anyway. It was simply a ploy in a downed economy to get guests to the parks and resorts. When it's not needed anymore, it'll be gone like free valet parking for DVC members.

The way I see it, Disney gives everyone various choices. For many of the free dining dates, a person could choose a room only discount.
30% off for a room or free dining.
DVC used to advertise up to 70% off future vacation savings. I think they now advertise up to 50% savings for new buyers at today's prices.

Is it better to save 50% on the room and pay for the times a person dines out? Up to each person to decide.

Back in the early days of the dining plan, it was a tremendous deal. Appetizer, entree, dessert, beverage, taxes, and tip were all included. Today, I see the dining plan as not nearly the same value.

OP, since you need a 2BR, consider looking at TIW and decide if you will spend $500 on sit-down meals (group together). If so, Tables In Wonderland will save you money.
A benefit to TIW is that you are not forced to book specific dates like free dining. During free dining, many report long waits at restaurants and poor service.

When free dining was originally offered back in 2004/2005, it was a tremendous deal, especially if you stayed at the values. We would stay a couple nights and keep the one day pass you had to buy for the next years annual pass. It included everything, including appetizer, desert, and tip. I think it was $35 per person per day. Then it started going up in price and less being offered, and, being one who vacations during free dining, have seen the quality and options during that time decline somewhat. I agree that you do better with the discounted annual passes and tiw, which includes whatever you want to eat (and drink). Tiw was also good last year at the swan and dolphin, which opened up a whole lot if additional options for us.

You're 34.7% right. I was hoping for someone to give the typical frothing at the mouth response about how we are owed nothing except blah, blah, blah. I don't understand the hysterical responses sometimes to people wanting free dining. I get the impression many on these forums would be angry and turn it down if Disney offered it.

Now if someone feels entitled to it, yeah, that's dumb.

But no, I'm not entirely just trolling, I'm looking for an honest rational conversation about it.

I would like a unicorn to pick me up and take me to the parks each day. Being a DVC member and wanting Disney to magically give you free dining even though you don't qualify for it is just as realistic a desire.

It never ceases to amaze me that people cannot seem to grasp the concept that free dining isn't free at all. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Ever heard that one before?

Free dining (for the umptenth billioneth time) is nothing more than a game of misdirection. Put something over in this hand so he doesn't see what the other hand is doing.

You simply cannot get something for nothing. Somebody paid for it. Guess who that somebody is when it comes to free dining. Here's a hint. I wasn't Disney. ;)

Why people can't seem to grasp this simple concept is beyond me.

In case you guys haven't noticed, free dining is being gradually diminished as to the times it's available anyway. It was simply a ploy in a downed economy to get guests to the parks and resorts. When it's not needed anymore, it'll be gone like free valet parking for DVC members.

There are so many thousands of people who have never been on a vacation to the Walt Disney World Resort before and don't know all of the in's and out's (of promotions like free dining) like those of us who have been going for many years. Also - Disney never claimed to be a non-profit organization!

OP - definitely let Member Services know your concerns whenever you speak with them! Maybe they'll give us DVC Members a dining discount someday? :flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter