Free animation class?

mommasharn

Earning My Ears
Read somewhere that at Hollywood studios there are free classes that teach you how to draw animated characters. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it still offered? If so, where is it? Thanks!

Yes it is! It's one of my favorite things to do at Hollywood Studios.
animation_zpse6b50cb9.jpg

This is where it's at. If you go in, it's immediately to the right. If you get to the character meet and greet you've gone too far. They offer the classes once every half? hour. I believe, and there's a list to what they're drawing each day. There's a waiting area outside of the class, and there's always a cool CM outside. Chat them up, and you won't be disappointed.

I just did this on Thursday. The animator let us choose from three characters and then the class voted. We were offered Buzz Lightyear, Mickey Mouse, Dopey and Jiminy Cricket. The class voted on Buzz. What a fun and different thing to do. I will do it again when I go back. (Maybe more than once!)

Note space is very limited. They have maybe 26 desks in there.

We arrived at 10.10am and by about 10.20am the line for the 10.30am session was closed. I do however think they shovel some standbys in at the last minute as not everyone in the studio elects to draw.

I think the first session was at 10am.

We got to draw Tinkerbelle - that was difficult!

I love doing this! Last time we were there, the CM in charge asked people to shout out characters that visitors had only done there before, so after narrowing down his list, we ended up drawing one of the dwarfs!

I love doing this! Last time we were there, the CM in charge asked people to shout out characters that visitors had only done there before, so after narrowing down his list, we ended up drawing one of the dwarfs!

We did this three times last weekend. Twice the animator picked the character (Stitch and Elsa) and once the class chose (Eeyore). The choices to vote on we're Dopey, Snow White, Rapunzel, and someone I'm forgetting.

I just did this on Thursday. The animator let us choose from three characters and then the class voted. We were offered Buzz Lightyear, Mickey Mouse, Dopey and Jiminy Cricket. The class voted on Buzz. What a fun and different thing to do. I will do it again when I go back. (Maybe more than once!)

That's good news!!!!:woohoo: We can't wait to do this again in August!:cool1:

Does anyone know when the last class of the day is usually offered? We're going in June and will probably get seats for fantasmic around 8pm.

Not sure if this was mentioned already or not but The Art of Animation Resort also has a free art class.

Does anyone know when the last class of the day is usually offered? We're going in June and will probably get seats for fantasmic around 8pm.

In Feb. we did the last class at 7:00 when HS was closing at 8:00. Not sure if that's the regular deal, but maybe last class is 1 hour before park closing??

We LOVE this class! Of the 4 of us, only DS12 can actually draw lol, but all of our pictures come out decent - most of the time much better than expected! After many trips we finally discovered this in May of 2012; did it 5x then, and another 6x in Feb!:goodvibes Only one character twice too, Mickey. Sometimes the Animator just tells the class who we're drawing; other times, like pp's have mentioned, the Animator gives the class a choice of a few and has them vote, sometimes asking who has drawn which of those characters and picking the one the least # of visitors have drawn before. They don't post a list outside of who you'll be drawing at HS but they do that down at DisneyQuest; however, it's computerized there and you have to pay for your drawing. Still cool, though:thumbsup2

One word of caution for anyone doing this for the first time with younger kids: the pencils don't have erasers. Might be frustrating for some.

Quick tip : tuck a few empty paper towel rolls in your suitcase ... 1st time we came home with creased drawings, next time i slipped them inside the rolls and POOF looked so much better when we got home :thumbsup2

Quick tip : tuck a few empty paper towel rolls in your suitcase ... 1st time we came home with creased drawings, next time i slipped them inside the rolls and POOF looked so much better when we got home :thumbsup2

Wonderful tip Jacqueline! I'm going to have to remember that because I know my kids are going to want to do this class (probably more than once)!:rotfl:

One word of caution for anyone doing this for the first time with younger kids: the pencils don't have erasers. Might be frustrating for some.

This is REALLY good to know! I will make sure and pack a couple art erasers! (becuse i KNOW I ca't draw!)

I have seen people base their entire trip on doing as many classes as possible. Neat idea, but not when you are traveling all the way from Canada.

Thank you Donald. This class is on our touring plan and I've added your tip to our packing list

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter