Freaky Friday with a 5 y.o.?

KIS

DIS Veteran
Has anyone seen Freaky Friday? In your humble opinion, is it reasonable to bring a 5 year old girl, with both parents?

From what I saw on the entertainment description (my internet access provider has a link to a entertainment section), it is PG13 because of "theme related material" (whatever that means) as well as "language". My guess is it's a teeny booper type movie and that the language is not horribly graphic, violent, nor erotic. I don't quite know what theme related material is, but my guess it's about dating and, I hope only goes as far as kissing...

Is this correct? Has anyone seen it?

KIS

I haven't seen it but here is a very detailed review of the movie. This site is really great because you will know exactly what to expect. The only downside would be because it is so detailed it may ruin the movie for you. The site gives great detail such as how many times you see the actors drink, smoke, say "bad" words, have bad behavior , etc.

http://www.screenit.com/movies/2003/freaky_friday.html

HTH!!

Dear Aunt Minnie:

This is great website. However did you find it?

At first glance, it's going to be the imitative behavior around disrespect and the sexual suggestive talk that will trouble me in taking my daughter. I might not do it. Thanks. It did not ruin the movie for me at all. And it really helped. I

mean, the child is 5, not 9. We let her watch the old musical 1776 even though it had some references to war and to slavery because if she had questions, we knew we could discuss it. But, this is right in front of her. I'm letting my husband read it know.

It's like with Rugrats. I waited until she was old enough to understand that Angelina was not to be imitated because she is not respectful.

My husband thinks we can tell her in advance that the girl is not being respectful and that this is part of the problem in the family.

But, the sexual references... I have to think about it. He's fine with it because he said we could just say what we've said all along that teenagers are too young to get married and to have babies, in case it gets too suggestive of such matters.

I'm going to have to think that one through. May be she won't go.

Anyway, this website you've provided the link to is most helpful. I'm going to have to remember it.

KIS

I saw it with my daughter, who is 8. The sexual references are not that suggestive, in my opinion.

After seeing it, I will let my 5 Y.O. see it when it comes out on video. I would not have let her go see it when we went though, because I needed to check it out first.

Every 5 Y.0. is different, but most of the references will prob. go over mine's head.

Good luck in whatever you decide.:D

I took my 5 and my 8 year old.. There was some typical teenage angst type thing, but nothing even sexual I could think of.

There was no sexual connotations, and in fact Jamie Lee Curtis (playing Anna) said " I can't kiss him!"

My DD (the 5 year old) figured out that Jake like Jamie playing Anna, but he didn't do anything, just sang to hear and looked googly in her eyes... (thats what my DD said)

The only thing I could think of that is semi objectionable was when Jamie playing Anna was at the TV appearance. THe producer was very excited as she left.. and said to someone "Look she signed my butt!" They show the signatures, but it isnt on the butt cheek or anything like that,but more of the lower back like where your waistband would be.

I never heard a curse word, just some angry type things. Yes, Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan don't get along at first, and they do have a pretty major fight in the Chinese restaurant.

One other thing I could thing of is when that one girl in high school comes over to hug Lindsey Lohan and takes off her shirt.. she has a sweatshirt on, and you see a black tank top type thing, not a bra/cami.

My daughter enjoyed it, and personally I thought it was rated PG. I have seen much worse PG movies.

Both my kids enjoyed it, and didn't seem adverse by it.

thank you guys. it sounds pretty safe. when i actually read the screenit write up, the rude behavior was more a concern than the sex, which as you say as well was pretty tame. They mentioned some test at school where there was foul play. But, I think those are things to talk about.

kis

The school foul play comes in when one girl asks Annas character to look at a standardized test.. (really a note and not a cheat type thing), and then tells the test proctor that Anna is cheating.. where she actually wasn't.

Then Anna takes the other girls standardized test and erases all her answers! Jake tells her that erasing her answers wasn't right

I actually took my daughter to it. I just mentioned beforehand that the daughter and her friends sometimes behaved badly and were mean.

After one scene which had some sexual innuedos, I thought I was going to get an aside from her in the form of a question. But no, she wanted to whisper that she loved the fountain (it was on the screen at that moment).

Afterwards, she said she liked the music and the dancing and did not like the fact that the mother and daughter had their bodies switched. She wanted to know how the parents agreed to have "that music", that is, the daughter's band play "like that" at their wedding. See, she's been to a few weddings and I guess she can't imagine anyone sanctioning such rock music.

I'd say she fared pretty well.

Thanks all the same to everyone.

KIS

We took my 5 yr old nephew and he LOVED this movie, he laughed and laughed so hard people were laughing at him. I say go for it:)
Aimee

I did go for it and now I wonder what was my concern. She enjoyed it.

KIS

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter