FP+ "Problems" - I Just Don't Get It

cakebaker said:
I've figure out that the great thing is- You don't have to get it! Just enjoy that it works well for you and you're able to get all the rides and attractions that you need to have a great trip!

Good point.

OP, you don't have to" get it". Be happy you have no reason to" get it" and enjoy your successful trip.

I also don't get it. Here now and during our 1st park day we managed to use our 3 FP+ at DHS and then park hopped to AK and got a 4th (Kilamanjaro Safaris), 5th (Kali River Rapids) and 6th (Dinosaur). We didn't try for EE, because DH didn't want to but the standby was only 15 minutes if we did. It didn't take me more than 1 minute to get each additional FP+ from the time I walked up to the kiosk to the time I left, and it felt like every time we needed a kiosk there was one right there. I don't understand all the haters...we are loving it! 2nd park day coming up today for MNSSHP!
Know what I don't get? I don't get how anyone can love broccoli. It's way too green, and the little beady parts on the end have an absolutely horrible feel as they're rolling around on my tongue. How can anyone want to eat that stuff? I really don't understand. If I hate it, then everyone else should hate it too.

I've figure out that the great thing is- You don't have to get it! Just enjoy that it works well for you and you're able to get all the rides and attractions that you need to have a great trip!
:thumbsup2

If 1 million people use MBs and book FP+ and 1% have problems that represents 10,000 people. If 1% of those are looking to complain you now have 1,000 people and if 1% of those decide to post here you have 100. So posts here may in fact be representative of a small number of people who do not link or have problems with MBs and FP+. It is very possible that the experiences posted here are not reflective of the majority of people using MBs and FP+.

I'm compelled to ask this question because last night I secured some FP+ reservations without any problem whatsoever. Not only that, but I changed some times and swapped a few experiences. In and out in 30 minutes, a week's worth of FP+ reservations secured and tailored, everything we could have wanted available, got everything we desired.

Now, before you say 'sure, that could be...if you were making reservations for an off time', let me clarify. These were for the week between Christmas and New Year's, THE busiest time of the year at WDW. You might say 'ok, great for you, you got REALLY lucky'. But this is the third time I've had no problem securing anything and everything we wanted with the FP+ system. 'But you are making reservations for a small party' you might say! No, I've been equally successful for 2, 5, or 12 people.

Here's the thing about the time period you're booking for. There is absolutely every last ounce of FP+ reservation capacity dumped into the system for those last two weeks of the year. The resort hotels will be more busy than usual, but the real uptick in guest numbers come from offsite -- people you aren't in competition with for FP+ reservations at this point.

I just wanted to share in my experience with Fastpass+. We will be at Disney from December 28th through January 2nd. I did not stay up until midnight to make my fastpass selections, I logged on at around 8:00 a.m. and was able to secure all of the ones that I wanted for the time we would be there. I am traveling with two 15 year old girls, so I didn't need any of the character meet and greets or parades but I did want, and got, 7DMT, Space Mountain, Rock n' Rollercoaster, Test Track, and all the big rides they wanted to do. I also didn't try for first thing in the morning as they are 15 years old and will probably want to be at the parks until closing so most of my selections were made for later in the day. But there were open times for almost the whole day everyday.

We are Disney regulars and DVC members, this will be our 4th trip this year, but it will be the first trip we have taken during this very busy week so I admit I was a bit apprehensive about whether I could get fastpasses for the rides I wanted. And this is the first trip for one of the girls traveling with us, so I wanted to get as many of the rides that I could for her. But I really had no issues at all.

I'm not saying that anyone who does have issues is not telling the truth, I just wanted to share my experience so that some out there who feel there is no hope during this busy week, will have a little bit of peace of mind knowing that it can be done. :)

The system is glitchy even the people at guest services and concierge have trouble with it. I am here now upgraded at MK to a annual pass walked over to the gate couldn't get in. But at least this time the very nice cast member walked me back over to guest services to figure it out 15 minutes later all ok. I like magic bands i like fastpass+ I like standby I like everything. But the number of people I observe having problems is something I hope they can fix.

While my confusion over how people can have such severe problems securing FP+ reservations is sincere......I am somewhat guilty as charged on the pot stirring front. Hey, I knew I'd fail at being delicate, even warned you. You guys also have some good points regarding availability for off-site guests and such, and that I don't need to 'get it'.

Incompetent liars? Well, I purposely didn't say that. That would be unkind and uncalled for. I do have what are likely unpopular opinions though.....

First let me say that the DIS is no different than any other forum. People come to share an interest, glean tips, share information, entertain and be entertained. Those are great things. The added reality is everyone on a forum has beliefs or an agenda of some sort they want to get across. Yes, everyone. You, me, everyone. That said......

I think (you can say you don't care what I think, but yet you read on) there are a variety of factors that lead to many of the FP+ complaints regarding ability to secure reservations. Some of which are valid, some of which are not. Am I wrong? I could be.

Incompetence? No, people don't have to be incompetent bed wetters incapable of feeding themselves to mess up using the MM+ system. I think some people get it wrong and assume it's the system when it's probably something they did or assumed in the process.

Liars? No, but on that agenda front....I think some people take the opportunity to take a minor problem or slightly limited availability of a FP+ reservation.....and use that to rail against a system they just don't like, because like others have said, it isn't perfect for everyone. Has anyone ever gone so far as to fabricate a problem? Ok, maybe fabricate wasn't the best word...but I'll bet there is at least one detractor out there who has taken an issue out of context to create a 'problem' for the purpose of knocking a system they just don't like.

So, my point (or agenda) is that, while a tour of these boards could lead some to think that the MM+ system is rife with problems, an utter fail, I think the actual problems are not as prevalent as some would have others believe. Yes, there are some legitimate problems, and I do feel for anyone who genuinely experiences one. However, too often I think hyperbole and rhetoric take over, and that is never a good thing.

Let the bashing (of me) continue......

I'm pretty much a FP+ supporter, but your experience is not typical.

Getting SDMT and A&E during the busiest week of the year is indeed absolute luck. I am going two weeks earlier when crowd levels are less than half of what you will experience, and I can't get either or TSMM.

As for user experience, how is this a user friendly system.
Log on at midnight
Select one attraction you really want.
Get assigned that attraction at a time you do not want and 2 other attractions you do not want.
Return to start page and change time of first selection after clicking over to another page.
Return to start page to change experience #2 after clicking to another page.
Return to start page to change experience #3 after clicking over to another page.

That is as non-user friendly as any tech I have dealt with in the past decade, and I would be described as a techie.

Again I like the concept of FP+ just not the logistics of it.

Good point about the system being glitchy. Yes, it happens. I'm sure it can be upsetting. Hopefully most glitches are resolved. However, sometimes in that situation the rhetoric takes over and someone deems the entire system a failure. That always bugs me, just like people who take a relative minor problem that ends up getting resolved and complains that it 'ruined their vacation'.

I'm on the anti-rhetoric platform!

So, my point (or agenda) is that, while a tour of these boards could lead some to think that the MM+ system is rife with problems, an utter fail, I think the actual problems are not as prevalent as some would have others believe. Yes, there are some legitimate problems, and I do feel for anyone who genuinely experiences one. However, too often I think hyperbole and rhetoric take over, and that is never a good thing.

:thumbsup2

You weren't lucky. You were typical....at least Disney hopes so. Those of us who did not have that kind of luck are likely not the overwhelming majority, but things still happened to make our experience with the system blow chunks. Your experience doesn't negate the ones who didn't fair well as the ones who didn't fair well don't negate your positive one.
Very vocal - well, verbal - minority, though :)
I stayed up to midnight to book my FP+. I was able to get everything I wanted ... but one wasn't even available till 7:30 that night as the rest were taken.
I didn't want the popular meet & greet or the parade FP+'s and it was good I didn't as they were all gone before I got my chance to book at midnight.
I enjoy not having to RD every day to ride some rides but I dislike trying to plan my complete day 60+ days in advance.
Ah, if your avatar is right, you could have started booking at 11 PM Central time :(

My guess is that the OP booked at 60+(something big like 10). Of course, if you had preferred booking status, why would you complain?

What I don't understand is why can't the OP understand it. The VIP entering a hot nightclub through the VIP entrance can at least see the long standby line.

Incompetence? No, people don't have to be incompetent bed wetters incapable of feeding themselves to mess up using the MM+ system. I think some people get it wrong and assume it's the system when it's probably something they did or assumed in the process.

Incompetent, incontinent, need help to eat, the sys is fine - it's user error......

I did my FP+ last night for a 2 day trip - Dec 27 & 28.

Even though I had read the tips in advance, in the excitement of booking FP+, I forgot the cardinal rule - book the times YOU DO NOT WANT first. I was stressed/excited and I forgot that. No availability for 7DMT until the evening hours. I ended up with a 9:50PM FP+. I think if I had done it the "correct" way and chosen times I did not want to start with, some morning FP+ would have opened up. Someone else booking dec 27 FP+ the same time said she got the morning slot.

I had similar problems with Toy Story for the evening of the 28th. After some tweaking I got what I wanted. I wanted Star Tours for 5:45 - 6:45 and the closest I could get is 5:35 - 6:35. My next FP+ is for 6:45pm. I know its stupid that I was stressing over 10 minutes, but my timing for that one is a little tight and I have a feeling I might end up in the 15 min grace period.

Anyway, I KNEW better but completely forgot all the tricks I had learned the day I did my FP+.

My take on it: FP+ is OK. Like legacy FP, it has its quirks and it will just take us all some time to learn the quirks and how to use the system for our families. I enjoyed legacy FP and knew how to maximize it. FP+ does have its advantages - nice to be able to show up at DHS at 6pm during Christmas week and have my FP+ in hand for Toy Story at 6:45pm.

DisneyKidds said:
While my confusion over how people can have such severe problems securing FP+ reservations is sincere......I am somewhat guilty as charged on the pot stirring front. Hey, I knew I'd fail at being delicate, even warned you. You guys also have some good points regarding availability for off-site guests and such, and that I don't need to 'get it'.

Incompetent liars? Well, I purposely didn't say that. That would be unkind and uncalled for. I do have what are likely unpopular opinions though.....

First let me say that the DIS is no different than any other forum. People come to share an interest, glean tips, share information, entertain and be entertained. Those are great things. The added reality is everyone on a forum has beliefs or an agenda of some sort they want to get across. Yes, everyone. You, me, everyone. That said......

I think (you can say you don't care what I think, but yet you read on) there are a variety of factors that lead to many of the FP+ complaints regarding ability to secure reservations. Some of which are valid, some of which are not. Am I wrong? I could be.

Liars? No, but on that agenda front....I think some people take the opportunity to take a minor problem or slightly limited availability of a FP+ reservation.....and use that to rail against a system they just don't like, because like others have said, it isn't perfect for everyone. Has anyone ever gone so far as to fabricate a problem? Ok, maybe fabricate wasn't the best word...but I'll bet there is at least one detractor out there who has taken an issue out of context to create a 'problem' for the purpose of knocking a system they just don't like.

Let the bashing (of me) continue......

That's a pretty deep hole you're digging LOL.

So, I'm thinking luck has nothing to do with it, and the 'problems' are either exaggerated or fabricated. How else do you explain it? Discuss amongst yourselves.......
Well, I could explain it but it probably wouldn't be nice.

But, what the heck, you just called anyone having problems getting the fastpass they want either liars or morons, right? :furious:

I didn't stay up until midnight. Maybe that was the problem. But I did get up pretty early the next day. Sorry, but I had to work, and staying up until midnight, then getting up for work at 6 didn't sound like a good idea.

I ended up with a fast pass to Toy Story, but missed out on Mine Train.

If you would like to see a screen shot of my fast pass reservation, I can PM you. No, I am not a liar.

And since I managed to snag Toy Story passes, I don't seem to be a moron.

So maybe it is the other way. Maybe the problem is you? Which are you? Fabricating or exaggerating?

(Oh, and I am not one to say that FP+ has to go away. My opinion is, that you win some and you lose some. At least my husband doesn't have to go sprinting across the park for that first fast pass)

Yep. The system is so intuitively easy to use and glitch free, that all of these threads and posts asking for help or complaining of problems they've encountered are all coming from morons or liars. Nice, OP. Very nice.

I have to go find some Band-Aids. I made the mistake of trying to walk and chew gum at the same time.

I'm pretty much a FP+ supporter, but your experience is not typical. Getting SDMT and A&E during the busiest week of the year is indeed absolute luck.
Perhaps, but I really struggle to see how my multiple experiences can be so atypical, so lucky. Hey, maybe I was just lucky last night when the A&E meet and greet showed up for December 30, perhaps the second busiest day of the year after NYE? The reward for being in at 12:00:01? Well, no, because I just went in now and I can still pick it up. I guess I have to drop my own rhetoric and try and be objective.

There are things I just don't understand about how the system work, I'm sure. You are generally a FP+ fan. You know how to use the system. I bet you can even feed yourself. Yet, you were unable to get A&E. Still confuses me, but I accept it.

Someone had a good point about the percentages. Likely the percentage of people who have any kind of problem is very low overall. However, if a good chunk of those rare problems are experienced by people who post here, negative posts being more common than positive ones, it can lead to an impression that problems are widespread.

As to your point about the user-friendliness of the system, I hear you. Could it be easier? Sure. Is it difficult now? Honestly, even though it's a multi-step process as you described.....no, it's not difficult. I spent 25 minutes securing a week's worth of FP+, then 7 more minutes tailoring the times to my exact liking. At least you can call the system less than ideal on the user-friendly front, but you don't use that to impeach the system as a whole. There are others who would bring up the same 'inconvenience' and state that the system is a total fail that ruined their vacation. I guess I have lost my patience with those types.

.......just like many in this thread have lost their patience with me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter