• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FP+ (No More Paper Fastpasses)

This would mean the would need to put WIFI in the park - I believe there is still no WIFI at DL?

Wow, I wasn't aware they didn't have wifi. (WDW vet here). How long would that take to setup throughout the park I wonder?

My unused paper fp will be worth millions! JK :)
Couldn't they just have the info associated with your parkhopper/ap/etc. You already have to insert them to get a fp, so now they just keep a db and have you scan them on return. Could be problems when the db goes down though, and not as easy to give others your fp. I think a phone app is a bad idea and excludes some.

I also wonder about folks who don't have phones. I suppose that number is few and far between now. I wonder too if they can put a chip or something on a card (like the old key to the world cards) and load it into the cards for those who won't have phones... and since there won't be magic bands, do you just show your phone to the FP+ CM? Or will you have to show something scannable?

Wow, I wasn't aware they didn't have wifi. (WDW vet here). How long would that take to setup throughout the park I wonder?

I also wonder about folks who don't have phones. I suppose that number is few and far between now. I wonder too if they can put a chip or something on a card (like the old key to the world cards) and load it into the cards for those who won't have phones... and since there won't be magic bands, do you just show your phone to the FP+ CM? Or will you have to show something scannable?
They stated in one of the articles that I read that there would be kiosks in the park, like the FP+ kiosks at WDW - not located at each ride, but in a few locations across the park. They will likely read the ticket media somehow. My guess is that FPs will be able to be booked via app or the kiosk, but will be attached to the ticket so that using the ticket gets you access to the ride (therefore not having a phone would not be an issue).

I am okay with this as long as it's not exactly like WDW. I do NOT want to have to book FPs months in advance. I do NOT want some ridiculous limit, like 3 a day. Or the way they have tiers and whatnot at WDW.

If it's basically the same system but paperless, that's okay. I just hope they get wifi in the parks.

Hoping that it NEVER arrives. I haven't been back to WDW since they implemented FP+. It's bad enough you have to book dining 6 months out. But we Disneylanders like to walk into the park and then decide where to go. The last thing I want to do is pre-plan rides. The next to last thing I want to do is walk into DL and the first thing I do is look down at my phone so I can start booking FPs for rides. It steals from the visual experience and it will cause a huge glut of people doing the same thing when they walk in.

Vote no for DL FP+.
I've learned how to use the FP+ system at WDW with few issues after several trips, but I agree; terrible idea for DL

My friend is having in terrible time choosing between RNR and TSMM for their tier one ride at DHS.

Your friend should get a FP for TSMM. No question. The RNR line moves at a fair pace- we got there last July when the line ended out in the street, looked really intimidating, but we only ended up waiting about 20 minutes in line because it moved very well. TSMM took about 10 minutes with a FP, so I definitely wouldn't standby it.

I think it's great once you actually get used to it. You don't use your phone at all when you're in the park; everything is done ahead of time. I guess it's all what you're used to and the attitude you have toward change:thumbsup2

I'm sorta kinda used to it and I think it's the opposite of great. WDW MagicBands are fine, FP+ not so much.

Your friend should get a FP for TSMM. No question. The RNR line moves at a fair pace- we got there last July when the line ended out in the street, looked really intimidating, but we only ended up waiting about 20 minutes in line because it moved very well. TSMM took about 10 minutes with a FP, so I definitely wouldn't standby it.

That's what I told her. Choice of FP isn't about choosing what you like most, it's about avoiding the longest line. About half of their group likes RNR the most, the other half TSMM. But ultimately they will all do both, so they need to choose the one that will save the most time with FP.

Mostly she's just having a hard time swallowing me telling her RNR will likely be gone early in the day. She used to get 2 trips through TSMM and 3 or 4 trips through RNR. This is a pretty substantial change from their previous experience. They can't even rely on late park hours to make up for lost time. They day they are looking at in early November DHS closes at 7 PM.

Hoping that it NEVER arrives. I haven't been back to WDW since they implemented FP+. It's bad enough you have to book dining 6 months out. But we Disneylanders like to walk into the park and then decide where to go. The last thing I want to do is pre-plan rides. The next to last thing I want to do is walk into DL and the first thing I do is look down at my phone so I can start booking FPs for rides. It steals from the visual experience and it will cause a huge glut of people doing the same thing when they walk in.

Vote no for DL FP+.
Same for us. Last time we were at WDW was 2010. I can hardly get my DH to commit to a few ADR'S let alone planning every second of vacation 2 months in advance. It stresses me out just thinking about it. I hope it never comes to Disneyland!

Re: Wifi - As part of the infrastructure changes at WDW to support FP+ (really the whole My Magic + or "MM+" system) the parks were outfitted with a reliable and easy to access Wifi system. I would have to think DLR would need the same in order to make "FP+" work.

I agree with the PP that as the system was described in the linked article it does not sound very much like FP+ as it exists at WDW.

Nothing has really been said about Magic Bands but we were big fans of MBs at WDW. I am not sure how a paperless FP system could work at DLR without MBs. I mean, what would you do at a FP ride? Show a bar code from your phone? Yah right, and your phone just died after the battery went dead a few minutes ago! MBs have their own batteries which reportedly last for 2 years.

In summary I think DLR must have these things for the FP+ system under discussion:

- Pervasive and simple Wifi access
- Magic bands where you link your park entrance media (i.e., tickets/APs) and your group entrance media together

Since the currently discussed FP+ system at DLR is so different from WDW there is no big need to debate the WDW system. I found the WDW FP system last May to be pretty cool. Definitely some downsides but some upsides as well - even for a diehard legacy FP person like myself. I still can't see how the WDW system could ever work at DLR so am glad to see some modified form under discussion.

For those considering going to WDW (or returning as many of you are WDW vets) I would just say to keep an open mind about FP+. The whole system (i.e., including aspects not FP related) was an upgrade over the old way of doing things IMO. If I had to take the whole new thing MM+ vs. the previous system then MM+ wins easily. Plus the potential has hardly been realized with MM+. But I have no desire to get into any big arguments about it. I know I can get more FPs with the legacy system. But it did require a lot of effort and a commitment to rope drop most mornings.

:wizard:

Nothing has really been said about Magic Bands but we were big fans of MBs at WDW. I am not sure how a paperless FP system could work at DLR without MBs. I mean, what would you do at a FP ride? Show a bar code from your phone? Yah right, and your phone just died after the battery went dead a few minutes ago! MBs have their own batteries which reportedly last for 2 years.

I think I remember reports from a few months back where they were testing barcode scanners for FP? I would think that type of scanner technology could be used with either phones (displaying your ticket barcode in the Disneyland app to scan at a FP entrance), or the actual tickets themselves.

We did really enjoy Magic Bands themselves, even if we did not like FP+. The Magic Bands were convenient, and we had fun decorating them. We got all kinds of comments on the vinyl decals we bought to decorate them, and that was fun. But there were some pretty definitive statements made by Disney brass indicating MBs weren't coming to DLR. Even with Staggs now gone, I'd be surprised to see them backtrack on that..if for no other reason than Disney seems to be tightening the belt across the board with the domestic theme parks right now, and adding the cost of bringing MBs to DLR I would think would not be a priority, especially if they can make the system paperless with barcode technology that's already in use.

Two things....I don't want to waste the battery on my phone getting and using fastpasses. I'd rather save it for my photos. I hope they come up with another idea rather than using your phone.

And....I'm really going to miss spreading a little magic and giving away extra fastpasses to guests. I wish thing would just stay the way they are. *Sigh*

Re: Wifi - As part of the infrastructure changes at WDW to support FP+ (really the whole My Magic + or "MM+" system) the parks were outfitted with a reliable and easy to access Wifi system. I would have to think DLR would need the same in order to make "FP+" work.

I agree with the PP that as the system was described in the linked article it does not sound very much like FP+ as it exists at WDW.

In summary I think DLR must have these things for the FP+ system under discussion:

- Pervasive and simple Wifi access
- Magic bands where you link your park entrance media (i.e., tickets/APs) and your group entrance media together

Since the currently discussed FP+ system at DLR is so different from WDW there is no big need to debate the WDW system. I found the WDW FP system last May to be pretty cool. Definitely some downsides but some upsides as well - even for a diehard legacy FP person like myself. I still can't see how the WDW system could ever work at DLR so am glad to see some modified form under discussion.

For those considering going to WDW (or returning as many of you are WDW vets) I would just say to keep an open mind about FP+. The whole system (i.e., including aspects not FP related) was an upgrade over the old way of doing things IMO. If I had to take the whole new thing MM+ vs. the previous system then MM+ wins easily. Plus the potential has hardly been realized with MM+. But I have no desire to get into any big arguments about it. I know I can get more FPs with the legacy system. But it did require a lot of effort and a commitment to rope drop most mornings.

Why couldn't they link them to your actual ticket (either physical ticket or the virtual ones on phones)?

I know when we were there last October they were testing scanning barcodes on FP return slips.

I will be annoyed if they have to scan a barcode on my phone.

Won't scanning barcodes end up taking a lot of time for each and every person that gets in the line?

I will be annoyed if they have to scan a barcode on my phone.

Won't scanning barcodes end up taking a lot of time for each and every person that gets in the line?

I don't see how it won't, especially if it's on everyone's phones. We all know people will get in line and not have it ready to go. (Like the people in line at the grocery store who don't have their coupons out). It has to take a lot longer than just glancing at a set of tickets and counting heads.

I wouldn't mind the magic bands, but they would have to find a way to link them to the DLR resort hotels.

I'm kind of assuming it'll be linked to your park ticket or pass. They can't depend on everyone having smart phones.

Why couldn't they link them to your actual ticket (either physical ticket or the virtual ones on phones)?

I know when we were there last October they were testing scanning barcodes on FP return slips.

I guess that would work to have everything linked to your park entrance pass. Then somehow when you came pack to the FP return line you would show your park entrance pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter