Four Seasons or Poly

yolie912

DIS Veteran
Hello,

I am torn between these 2 resorts. Which one would you pick. They both look so nice??

Hello,

I am torn between these 2 resorts. Which one would you pick. They both look so nice??
I'm interested in hearing answers to this... I am seriously considering splitting my time at YC CL with the 4 seasons (for the price of the room at YC CL ($700/night) currently rack rate/ Nov 2017) I am thinking surely I could afford the 4 seasons, and maybe even get a better rate! Interested to know how others like this resort, ease of getting around to the parks, dining options, pool, rooms etc....I'll be anxiously awaiting some reviews :)

Having stayed at the Poly (but not the Four Seasons) the Poly is nice, but you will get a true luxury experience at the Four Seasons. You won't get Disney Transportation and the on-site perks (60 day FP bookings, EMH, etc.) but it will be pure luxury unlike Disney Hotels, which are really just overpriced hotels all around (even in the Deluxe category). It depends on what you want. For us, the convenience of the Poly can't be beat and I really enjoyed the resort. But, if you're looking for a truly nice, luxury hotel, you need to stay off property.

I love, love, love Four Seasons properties. We've stayed at the Four Seasons Budapest, Costa Rica and Nevis and they were all amazing. That being said, I will most likely never stay at the Four Seasons Orlando and it has nothing to do with the quality of the resort. We've stayed at both the Ritz Carlton and the Waldorf Astoria in Orlando and while they were both lovely, the hassle of getting to the parks was too much. We go to WDW often and we have found the key to our family enjoying the trip is convenience to the parks. WDW is so vast and it takes forever to get anywhere. We would so much rather spend our time doing what we want to do than sitting on a bus or a cab.

If you are looking for luxury in an on-property resort, I would actually recommend GF over the Poly. While I love the theming at Poly, the GF will offer you far more amenities (more restaurants, recently refurbed rooms, turn down service each evening). GF won't be as luxurious as Four Seasons, but getting to MK quickly by monorail is priceless.

You may even want to consider the Contemporary since the rooms there are larger, you are one stop from the Epcot monorail and can walk to the MK.

Yeah that's what is holding me back. The monorail, inside Disney, perks. But on the other side four seasons has a slide and lazy river. So torn

I agree with the idea of a split stay. We did this last year to test out Four Seasons, we did Four Seasons followed by GF. It was like two different vacations, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. Loved the Four Seasons. Crazy nice pool, room was huge and the bathroom beyond wonderful, and the view from Capa for fireworks was incredible. More relaxing than I expected, much less bustle than Disney resorts. We went in summer so we were able to get a really good rate.

The downside to Four Seasons is transportation and being too far from the parks. I love onsite Disney transportation. I love hopping between parks on a whim. I know I can always get back to my resort with little effort. Four Seasons has a nice coach bus, but inconvenient schedule. Essentially you are at a Four Seasons and "oh yeah, there's Disney World nearby."

If we do Four Seasons again it would be split stay, first relax at FS, then Disney resort as the anchor of the trip.

Which one would you pick?

Well, here's my two cents worth. (two cents buys a lot from me, even if you don't give me two cents)

Well, I've stayed at both.

Four Seasons:
An elegant hotel, unlike any other Disney hotel. Four Seasons hotels vary their designs from hotel to the next. The 4S here in Orlando is a beautiful, minimalistic design. You might call it contemporary, though it doesn't have a muriel of Native Americans. (never understood how that fit in the actual Contemporary Resort)

4S rooms are fairly spacious, with a layout that is quite functional. King rooms have a couch and a desk. The closet is located between the room and bath so one can get dressed without bumping into each other, or the door that opens to the hallway.

The bath spacious and has a walk-in shower stand alone tub, along with two sinks a potty room with door. (though the one we had was glass, so mind your hand gestures) This is a big deal. I've never been in any standard Disney room that has a walk in shower. Best bathroom layout and size over any Disney room I've stayed in.

Each room has a balcony. Something you will not find at the Poly and some other deluxe resorts. One side of the hotel faces the parks, the other faces Orlando. (or Golden Oaks, as they call it) On the park side you can see the Magic Kingdom fireworks as well as Epcot. The park side has a nice morning view, since the sun is rising behind you. (see Space Ship Earth on the left and the Contemporary on the right)

IMG_2263.jpg

Price? Well, a single room king the 4S the first week of March is $439/night. That's 20% off for pre-paying over 90 days in advance. $549 if you don't pre-pay. Compared to the Poly? Well, the Poly is booked up for that week. It took me several tries to actually find a room, end of April it's $549 at the Poly. That's a smaller bathroom, no closet dressing area and probably no balcony unless you're either on the 3rd floor, or walkout first floor room where little Jimmy from next door is always looking in your window.

They have three restaurants and a lobby coffee/quick breakfast/sorbet place. Capa is on the top floor. A dark ambiance, with a Spanish influence, wood grill place. Whether or not you eat there, you can hang out outside to view the fireworks from the highest spot in Disney. I think it's the 17th floor.

Ravello on the first (bottom) floor is a brighter and a more casual feeling place, with an Italian influenced cuisine. Both are excellent, though we prefer Ravello, especially for it's Stratiatella (sp?) desert with and extra side of the coffee infused dark chocolate, cut it with a knife syrup stuff you can literally pour over anything and make it better.

There is a character breakfast at Ravello. Which is interesting, since it's not a Disney hotel.

PB&G is the Pool Bar and Grill, which of course is out by the pool. Also very good food, such as the lobster sandwich. This is all outdoors, no AC.

Then there's the pools. Up to this point, the Beach Club was the best pool in Disney World. The 4S pool complex is big, and lots of fun for all ages.

They have a really nice adult pool. Which is great if you don't have kids, or you simply like to leave your kids for the day with somebody else's parents, that you don't know. I've been here several times and have never seen young kids in this infinity edge pool. Food service is from PB&G. Don't go looking for towels here (well, you can) they have someone that will bring one to you. They'll set up your lounge with a towel on the lounge and a rolled up one for your head.

There's also a big family pool with lots of lounges AND lots of umbrellas (like one for every other lounge) to keep out of the sun. It has a zero entry for the the little kids and us old folks. (greater than 29) They have a big TV screen at this pool and they show movies on it at night.

They have a huge splash zone pool. Really shallow throughout, with lots of fountains. Perfect for the little kiddies.

They even have an 11,000 sq. foot lazy river with inner tubes to float in. Take that Typhoon Lagoon.

They even have a 242 foot water slide. Take that all the other water parks.

In the middle of the pool complex is a big play area that has volleyball, hoops, table tennis, pool tables, bocce ball and stuff. Past the pools is a very nice game room. Not coin operated, but like XBOX games.

They have a big (13,000 sq. foot) spa. (not the Poly) I didn't use it, but my wife got her nails done there. They have golf too. (who has time for that?)

They even allow pets! I did not tell my dog, he'd be pee-ohed if he new I left him behind when he could have been pampered at the 4S.

Sounds like an awesome place. So what's the downside?

Probably the one (big?) issue is getting to the parks. I've stayed here a couple of times, but had a car each time. So I didn't use their bus. That's right, 4S has their own bus to get to and from the parks. I have no idea if they have one or more busses. But they do seem to run less frequently than the Disney busses. The 4S is basically on property. It's between the camp grounds and Port Orleans Riverside. So, it's a fairly short ride to the MK, Epcot and HS. It's a lot closer to MK than the AK Lodge is. So you might have to plan around their (published?) bus schedule.

If you want to spend all your time at the Magic Kingdom (and it seems like everybody does, cause it's always crowded) then the Poly is more convenient. Or if you prefer Epcot and the four remaining attractions at Hollywood Studios, then the Epcot resorts might be better.

The Four Seasons is a beautiful hotel. The staff is excellent, as good or maybe better than your average Disney Cast Member. The pools are really great, with or without kids. The restaurants are excellent. The views, in either direction only get better, the higher your room. And the rooms aren't really any different in price from the Poly, at least from what I can see. Plus, you can probably get a room at the 4S, as opposed to the Poly which quickly books up.

Full disclosure, I love the Poly.

Thank you for the great and detailed report. Loved reading it. I can't do a split stay because it's only 4 nights, plus I live in Miami so not much of a drive. I will have my own car to drive but the transportation is what is holding me back from the 4S. It's great to just jump on the monorail. We are going to the parks but this trip we are more focused on the pools etc and not so much the parks.

Thanks for this excellent review. I had been hoping the podcast would add the four seasons to their list of resort reviews. From what you've written it seems the room is on a par with the rooms at the grand Floridian with the exception of what sounds like a magnificent bathroom and conveniently placed large closet. Like others here convenience to the parks is a big factor for me. Thank again!

I love Poly. But if room size (Poly studio villas will sleep my entire family, 4S will not) and cost were not concerns, Ido Four Seasons. And I'd use Uber to get to and from the parks everyday. Who needs public transportation if your staying at a 4S?

I'm interested in hearing answers to this... I am seriously considering splitting my time at YC CL with the 4 seasons (for the price of the room at YC CL ($700/night) currently rack rate/ Nov 2017) I am thinking surely I could afford the 4 seasons, and maybe even get a better rate! Interested to know how others like this resort, ease of getting around to the parks, dining options, pool, rooms etc....I'll be anxiously awaiting some reviews :)

In your case, I would go with the Four Seasons. The YC is nicely themed, but nowhere near $700 a night. I don't care how close to Epcot it is. I paid about $200 for one night and thought it was overpriced! Now, paying that money for one of the MK resorts, that is understandable. The rooms at the YC were wonderful (I thoroughly enjoyed it) but not near the quality as the GF (which averages about $700 a night rack rate for an outer room).

I love Poly. But if room size (Poly studio villas will sleep my entire family, 4S will not) and cost were not concerns, Ido Four Seasons. And I'd use Uber to get to and from the parks everyday. Who needs public transportation if your staying at a 4S?

I uber to/from the parks and I stay on property! Most rides were $7 - 9 bucks when moving from HS to GF or Epcot to GF.

Hey there!! :wave:

I honestly couldn't imagine paying $700/night at YC. It's one of our favorites but wow!! We paid $338/night YC CL and that seemed just right...

I love having the fully immersive Disney experience and the convenience of getting around via Disney transportation so the Poly would be my choice, hands down. It really depends on what you value on your trip. The Poly has the best transportation on Disney property in my opinion bc you can ride the monorail to MK in minutes and can walk to the TTC to ride the monorail to Epcot. We spend most of our time at MK so getting there quickly is awesome and worth it for us. I'm sure the 4S will offer a more pampering experience and might be the right choice if the Disney Parks are more of a "side trip" to your stay. But the Poly will be a more convenient and immersive Disney experience if the Parks are a big focus on your trip.

We love Four Seasons so much we would never want to stay anywhere else. The pluses of that resort far outweigh the minuses.

I wanted to stay Four Seasons, but my kids said, "No way!" We want total Disney. I couldn't say anything to that so the Poly it is for us, at least until they are all grown. I want to enjoy seeing them Disnyfied 24/7 while I can.

Four Seasons... there is nothing about a Disney Resort that is "luxury." I wouldn't worry about the monorail (with the ever constant changing schedule) or the buses. You have your own car, so just take that...it is not that far, right by Fort Wilderness.

Poly is my favorite, but it is nothing like the 4S.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter