Fort Wilderness Cabins??

Disneyfan819

Earning My Ears
We are a family of 6 (youngest will be 1 year) and are really trying to decide on a resort to stay at during our February. We are contemplating Fort Wilderness Cabins as it affords the room for all of us. Looking for feedback on the resort itself and if anyone has stayed in the Cabins recently since they were refurbished. How comfortable are the beds? (This is most important on a Disney trip☺️) How have you found the transportation to the parks to be? Is there a quick service restaurant on property as I haven’t been able to find that info? Any feedback would be most appreciated! TIA!!!

Last edited:
We enjoyed the cabins. Didn't have trouble with the buses to the parks, but the internal buses were an issue for us. They took forever. I'd highly recommend a golf cart rental. The Boat to MK is AMAZING! it was peaceful and quick. The quick service dining was Eh. VERY limited options. Mostly BBQ type food. We only ate there once, for dinner. I don't know the breakfast options as we ate breakfast in the cabin every morning. I REALLY enjoyed having the outside deck for the kids to use while getting ready in the morning. It was so nice to have space to spread out and room to make some meals. We can't wait to stay here again.

We stay in the cabins and love them. The kids enjoy the little critters they see in the campground and it is very quiet and peaceful. The bussing is a drawback because you usually have to get on one campgrounds bus to get to either the regular bus depot OR to the dock to get a boat to MK. Pain in the butt.

Our bed was comfortable enough, nothing special. It’s s normal hotel bed. The kids liked their bunk beds.

They do have quick service, PJs southern take out. You can also get quick to eat food at the trading posts. The issue is really getting there. I found it was easier to eat breakfast in our cabin and then eat in the parks or elsewhere. When we did eat on site it was planned because it is near the MK boat dock.

The cabins are great for privacy, parking right at your door, cooking in the unit and the extra bedding for a young family.

It's one of the nicest campgrounds you will ever stay in ... but it is a campground, a large one. Transportation was just too aggravating and after the long commutes the first couple days, we opted to drive everywhere. Since you can't drive inside the campground and it's way too big for us to want to walk to the dining etc options .... we decided to eat all our meals at parks or in the cabin. I'm just not going to rent a golf cart on top of the rates for the cabins. Now our family camps in their own RV and they have their own golf cart ... that is different ... but even they have stopped due to the costs, and just book hotel rooms.

We learned we prefer to stay at a hotel or resort where we can walk to food court or pool in a couple minutes and don't need to do transfers on transportation to a park. And I agree with PP the Internal Bus was the pits. We had to walk to it, wait, usually have to stand as it was always crowded, especially with strollers as it seems lots of young families choose the cabins.

We have two toddlers and find the cabins perfect for us. It’s nice to have the standalone cabin for quiet time after the parks. We also rent a golf cart so can’t give any advice on the internal busses. We take the boat to MK or to the Contemporary Resort and walk over, and it is so pretty and easy! The kitchen works for us too for breakfasts then we usually eat in the parks (or bring snacks) and eat at FW in the evening. They have a food truck with sandwiches and goodies at the nightly chip n dale sing along, trading posts that sell packaged and refrigerated foods, p&j southern takeout (QS) or Trail’s end restaurant (TS). We also have a rental car and drive to the other parks. Overall it fits our needs perfectly, so you’ll have to weigh what works for you!

We are a family of 6 (youngest will be 1 year) and are really trying to decide on a resort to stay at during our February. We are contemplating Fort Wilderness Cabins as it affords the room for all of us. Looking for feedback on the resort itself and if anyone has stayed in the Cabins recently since they were refurbished. How comfortable are the beds? (This is most important on a Disney trip☺️) How have you found the transportation to the parks to be? Is there a quick service restaurant on property as I haven’t been able to find that info? Any feedback would be most appreciated! TIA!!!
we have done the cabins with 4 adults and 2 kids. main drawback was only one bathroom. as I have said on other post the 4.5 year old cried when she found out that the buses were not going to be taking her home and she had to leave them at Disney. as for counter serve there is one but it is part of Trails End. does serve breakfast but have not done that. dinner was mostly chicken and sides. do not remember what the kid choices were as they were not with us at the time. we did not have to fold double stroller on boat to MK

Had our first stay at Cabins in June-we loved it! So nice to have space to spread out, morning coffee on private deck. We rented a golf cart form offsite vendor. Loved loved having the golf cart, and oh my- so nice to take Resort launch from MK at end of night instead of long long line for bus or monorail. Parked golf cart near launch to MK and able to drive golf cart right back to our door.

I took bus one morning to AK by myself (rest of family being lazy poos) and didn't think the bus was bad at all.
We ate breakfasts in room, sometimes lunches or dinners (we had groceries and leftovers from table service).

Echoing most everything that was said above. We love them - will have a hard time ever going back to a basic hotel room again. So nice to be able to close the bedroom door while someone sleeps in or naps. Nice kitchen, living room and deck for extra space.

I would only stay here if I could rent a golf cart though. I wouldn't want to tangle with the internal bus system. The cart was part of the fun for our family. But even that gets to be a bit of pain, you can't just walk downstairs to the pool or restaurants. It can be hard at the end of the night to keep kids upright for the golf cart ride back to the cabin when they are passed out! We also learned to keep a towel tucked under a seat in case it rains - otherwise your bums will be soaked during the ride back. :)

LOVE the boat ride to the Magic Kingdom. That is a fun ride in itself. We also love the beach area and play ground.

Quick service is fairly limited; no big cafeteria. We've ordered chicken take out a few times. Pretty good. We enjoy Trails End as our first meal each visit, nice buffet. There is also a food truck by the campfire - not sure how often it is open. Kids loved the Chip and Dale's campfire and movie. We loved it because it is free :) You can buy sticks and marshmallows (or entire smores kit) to roast.

Beds were very comfortable (never tried the pull out). Kids loved the bunk beds.

Just a fun, family friendly atmosphere. Still Disney but not as chaotic. GL with your decision.

Hopefully the horrible dog "experiment" will be over in October; which means we can once again enjoy the cabins without worrying about ticks, fleas, and assorted dog odors, etc !!!

Loved the cabins, we had a car so we only used the transportation to the magic kingdom and pools. Having a kitchen was great, we never needed the quick service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter