For those who still want the redhead (POLL)

Would you be upset it was being changed if instead of women being auctioned, it was people of color?

• Total voters

MamaBelle4

DIS Veteran
I'm geniunely curious. This parallel was made several times in the old thread and no one really addressed it.

If you would be upset, what is the difference between the two? Why is one able to be portrayed humorously and one not?

I'll explain - I find all of it disturbing! :)

But looking into my own mind as a woman, I have to admit I find it much easier to take as it is now than I would if it was a person of color. It's just more socially acceptable, sad as that is.

Like I said in another thread, children/people of color we find it disturbing, women - we find it funny.

Don't even get me started how women treat each other on the subject of age! ;)

This is probably better suited to the Theme Parks Community board. Just keep an eye on it in case it disappears...the mods may have just moved it.
Thanks, I tend to just go through "New Posts" so I have a devil of a time putting things in the right place!

Is this a serious question? Comparing some red head to something that actually happened in the past?

Pirates is fake. People of color actually were auctioned off

I'm the last PC person there is and I despise it but come on.

Is this a serious question? Comparing some red head to something that actually happened in the past?

Pirates is fake. People of color actually were auctioned off

I'm the last PC person there is and I despise it but come on.

Women are being sold TODAY as sex slaves. That actually does happen now and has been for a long time. There has been an astronomical rise in women in the US being sold in human trafficking. California saw the greatest increase, Florida was 3rd.

Listen, it doesn't change the fact that zero people would think of the sex trade by looking at a redhead in that photo but 100 percent of people would if it was a woman of color and would be called racism immediately

Listen, it doesn't change the fact that zero people would think of the sex trade by looking at a redhead in that photo but 100 percent of people would if it was a woman of color and would be called racism immediately
Isn't that kind of sad that people are okay with sex trade being depicted? Shouldn't that upset people too? A person being sold is morally reprehensible, regardless of who that person is or how they look.

Yeah...it's time for that thinking to change.

The point I'm trying to make is nobody cared or even thought about it since the ride opened but you can be 1000 percent sure if it was someone of color, it would have never been included and there would have been an uproar.

So that's why I said it's not comparable.

The point I'm trying to make is nobody cared or even thought about it since the ride opened but you can be 1000 percent sure if it was someone of color, it would have never been included and there would have been an uproar.

So that's why I said it's not comparable.

But, you see, that's what I'm trying to understand. Both are wrong. Both are talking about enslaving people.

One is offensive. One is beloved and hilarious, apparently. How?

Look people - Misogyny has got to go. I am woman hear me roar...just kidding! (I knew that would be annoying ;) )

But really -This ride seems like a silly, overblown example, but it is in actuality a textbook example of an outdated way of thinking. This thread is explaining it perfectly... or imperfectly, but at least an attempt! :)

But, you see, that's what I'm trying to understand. Both are wrong. Both are talking about enslaving people.

One is offensive. One is beloved and hilarious, apparently. How?

African-American slave auctions were a pervasive part of American history, something that was upheld by the U.S. Constitution and the majority of the American public at the time. It was a vital part of American economy and culture, and millions of Americans were auctioned off in this way. Our history of slavery and its legacy is a national disgrace, and American society is still dealing with its negative aftereffects to this very day. It will probably always affect us in some way. For that reason, we can never make light of it in any way.

The white wench auction scene by pirates in the ride is something that might have happened on occasion, but it was never a widespread practice or upheld as part of the culture. (And please don't counter that women had fewer rights & were sometimes abused. Of course that is true, but I'm referring to the type of events we see in the pirate auction scene.) Yes, African-American women were sold and raped, but that experience was part of the African-American slavery experience, & one of the reasons why an African-American slave auction would never be part of a ride. It would be too realistic. Anglo-American women were not bound and auctioned off in the way represented in the ride, not in any widespread or socially-accepted fashion.

African-American slave auctions were a pervasive part of American history, something that was upheld by the U.S. Constitution and the general American public at the time. It was a vital part of American economy and culture, and millions of Americans were auctioned off in this way. Our history of slavery and its legacy is a national disgrace, and American society is still dealing with its negative aftereffects to this very day. It will probably always affect us in some way. For that reason, we can never make light of it in any way.

The wench auction scene by pirates in the ride is something that might have happened on occasion, but it was never a widespread practice or upheld as part of the culture. (And please don't counter that women had fewer rights & were sometimes abused. Of course that is true, but I'm referring to the actual events we see in the pirate auction scene.) Yes, African-American women were sold and raped, but that experience was part of the slavery experience, & one of the reasons why an African-American slave auction would never be part of a ride. It would be too realistic.

Did you read the post right above yours? Neither one is acceptable. Period.

(see, now I'm digging in my heels again)

edited to add - I misunderstood, you are trying to explain why one may be viewed as acceptable. I agree with your argument, i just don't agree that it should be viewed as acceptable.

Last edited:
African-American slave auctions were a pervasive part of American history, something that was upheld by the U.S. Constitution and the general American public at the time. It was a vital part of American economy and culture, and millions of Americans were auctioned off in this way. Our history of slavery and its legacy is a national disgrace, and American society is still dealing with its negative aftereffects to this very day. It will probably always affect us in some way. For that reason, we can never make light of it in any way.

The wench auction scene by pirates in the ride is something that might have happened on occasion, but it was never a widespread practice or upheld as part of the culture. (And please don't counter that women had fewer rights & were sometimes abused. Of course that is true, but I'm referring to the actual events we see in the pirate auction scene.) Yes, African-American women were sold and raped, but that experience was part of the slavery experience, & one of the reasons why an African-American slave auction would never be part of a ride. It would be too realistic.
Oh, I understand why it is offensive to depict auctioning people of color.

Women are being auctioned and sold NOW. And have been. Thousands of women and young girls are stolen from their homes and sold to the highest bidder to work in brothels or serve someone's perverse desires. This is happening now.

The fact that it is acceptable to make light of is terrifying to me.

Oh, I understand why it is offensive to depict auctioning people of color.

Women are being auctioned and sold NOW. And have been. Thousands of women and young girls are stolen from their homes and sold to the highest bidder to work in brothels or serve someone's perverse desires. This is happening now.

The fact that it is acceptable to make light of is terrifying to me.
But there is a much, much smaller number of women being trafficked in America today than the number of American slaves who were sold at auction in the past. It's sad that trafficking happens, but that hasn't had the massive impact on our culture that slavery has had. Slavery not only destroyed and damaged many millions of lives in the past, its legacy still damages millions of people's lives today. It has had a much bigger negative impact on our culture than sex trafficking has, as wrong and hurtful as sex trafficking is. Slavery's legacy resonates with us deeply because of its mammoth impact on American culture- that's why you'll never, ever see it referenced on any ride, but why you might see references to other evil things like a wench auction, murder, torture, etc., that do not resonate so strongly with us as a culture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter