• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For those who fly with toddlers - How do you sit?

disny_luvr

DIS Veteran
DH and I will be flying with our twin two-year-old sons in May on SW. I think all SW planes have a 3/3 configuration. I can't decide if it would be best for DH and I to split up, each taking a child and trying to sit in two different rows (one behind the other) so that each child can (if possible) get a window seat or if we should sit 3/1. I'll probaby be with the kids and DH would be across the aisle. I'm thinking this would be better so we could have a whole row to ourselves, but I'm just not sure. Neither DH nor myself are frequent fliers - we haven't flown since 2005. So for those of you who fly frequently, especially with toddlers, how do you sit?

I'm also starting to get a little stressed about picking our seats. Both boys are pretty attached to me and I'm afraid that if DH and I can't sit together (if we have to split 2/2) that the son with DH will start to get fussy since he isn't with me. Please reassure me that everything will be okay!

There can only be one lap child in any one row. There are only 4 oxygen masks (should they be needed) in any one row per side. Your best bet is to sit aisle/aisle.

IF your flight happens to be really empty you could sit Aisle/EMPTY MIDDLE/Window. I wouldn't count on an empty flight to MCO. All the flights seem to be jam packed without a single empty seat.

If you purchased seats for your kids (EXCELLENT CHOICE!!!!) then how you sit is dependent on whether you are doing car seats. If you aren't doing car seats I would do a 3 x 1 combo. Your boys will have a bit of space to spread out. Put the twins in the window/center and a parent as the aisle blocker.

If you are putting them in car seats then car seats need to be in the window position. Your only option would be two combos of window/center.

There can only be one lap child in any one row. There are only 4 oxygen masks (should they be needed) in any one row per side. Your best bet is to sit aisle/aisle.

IF your flight happens to be really empty you could sit Aisle/EMPTY MIDDLE/Window. I wouldn't count on an empty flight to MCO. All the flights seem to be jam packed without a single empty seat.

Since the twins are two, I'm going to assume that the OP bought seats for them (since they cannot be lap children), so the issue of more than 4 people in the row is moot.

OP - are you children going to have car seats? If so, they need to be in the window (or window/middle if there are two in one row), with an adult (you or DH) beside them (not sure if SW enforces this rule, but it is definitely a recommendation). If they are in car seats, I'd do 2 and 2 (window/middle).

If they are not in car seats, you are more flexible. I might be tempted to do 3 and then 1 across with the twins window/middle and then you and DH in the two aisle seats. Otherwise, in order to give your kids window seats you'd be window/middle with a stranger in both aisle seats.

Since the twins are two, I'm going to assume that the OP bought seats for them (since they cannot be lap children), so the issue of more than 4 people in the row is moot.

OP - are you children going to have car seats? If so, they need to be in the window (or window/middle if there are two in one row), with an adult (you or DH) beside them (not sure if SW enforces this rule, but it is definitely a recommendation). If they are in car seats, I'd do 2 and 2 (window/middle).

If they are not in car seats, you are more flexible. I might be tempted to do 3 and then 1 across with the twins window/middle and then you and DH in the two aisle seats. Otherwise, in order to give your kids window seats you'd be window/middle with a stranger in both aisle seats.
Is there an echo? I said the exact same thing.

Is there an echo. I said the exact same thing.

Not originally. When I posted my response you hadn't edited yours yet. I quoted your original response, which merely told the OP that she had to worry about the number of oxygen masks.

Yes, I bought the twins tickets so they will not be sitting on our laps. We weren't planning on taking car seats, but would you recommend we do? Our thinking in not taking car seats is that we aren't renting a car while there so we really don't have a need for them and we also feel like it is one more (we'll in our case - two more) things to carry along.

Not originally. When I posted my response you hadn't edited yours yet. I quoted your original response, which merely told the OP that she had to worry about the number of oxygen masks.
Well my edits were almost 10 minutes before your response. Glad to see we agree.

Yes, I bought the twins tickets so they will not be sitting on our laps. We weren't planning on taking car seats, but would you recommend we do? Our thinking in not taking car seats is that we aren't renting a car while there so we really don't have a need for them and we also feel like it is one more (we'll in our case - two more) things to carry along.
Are your kids complete and total wiggle worms who won't stay seated during taxi and takeoff? Only you can answer this question. Since you have seats for both kiddos you may be better off doing aisle/middle and aisle/middle so you can swap the kids off easily if one is having issues. Don't worry about having a window. Once you takeoff there isn't much to see. If you sit aisle/middle then I wouldn't even point out the window. Make it a game and entertain them with little small handheld toys. Sitting in the window sounds good, but then you are kinda trapped if you sit two sets of window/middle. I would rather have rescue help in the form of the other parent if one child has a meltdown.

I just finished posting a comment on a new thread where someone asked pretty much the same question, so I'm cheating and just re-pasting my response:
There is no law/rule stating that you need a car seat for your child. However, if you do bring your car seat, you child needs to be buckled into whenever the seat belt sign is on (take off, landing, turbulence, etc.).

As in a car, your child will be safer buckled into a car seat (rather than depending on the lap belt) and some parents find it easier to have their child in the car seat (if the child is used to traveling in a car seat when in a car, they may be more relaxed on the plane, and easier to keep seated, if they are in a car seat there).

Some parents find something like the CARES harness a good compromise, if they aren't planning on driving in Orlando (or wherever they are going) and, thus, don't want to lug a carseat.

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

There are, apparently, places from which you can rent the harness (rather than buy if you aren't planning on flying often).

In your case, an extra consideration is the restrictions placed on you in terms of seating combinations if you use the car seats.

I usually sit with MY twins (age 6 now) in one row and my DH sits across the aisle from us. Sometimes we switch seats half way through the flight. It works out great for us especially since I know where I've packed everything in my kids' carry-ons.

We've never brought car seats...as I understand it (and I could be wrong as I haven't researched this in years) the seat needs to be FAA approved (stated on the seat) or it can't be used/won't fit.

Check in with SW 24 hrs. in advance and you shouldn't have a problem getting in the "A" group so you shouldn't have a problem sitting together. In fact, I didn't check in early enough on my last flight and was in the "B" group and we found 3/1 seats together and would have had no problem sitting 2/2.

I only skimmed the responses so if I've "echoed" anyone else responses, I apologize.

Hey there! We have taken my twin boys who are now 3 1/2 to Disney twice now. Last time we were on SW and I had one at the window, one in the middle and I sat on the aisle. I have two other kids so they sat in the seats in front of us with dh.

I brought carseats both times and will do so when we fly to Ft. Lauderdale in April. We did not rent a car either time, but I felt they would behave better strapped in. It made my flight so relaxing and not stressful. I also had a portable DVD player and having them sit side by side allowed both to watch a movie. Good luck and have fun on your trip!

Since all three of my boys want a window seat (DS, DS, and DH!:lmao:) we usually sit 2 and 2 with two middles and two windows in two rows one behind the other.

when my kids were 2 and 4 we sat window 4yo, middle me, aisle 2yo, aisle dh... it worked very well... now we're window baby, middle me, aisle 12yo, aisle 14yo, aisle behind one of us dh...

ergo, i would go w/the kid/mom/kid aisle dad configuration, putting the child who needs the most potty breaks on the aisle (near dh!)...

initially, i would have voted for our personal favorite of configurations: two behind two. but your statement that the boys are more attached to you changes everything.

i would definately try for the child-you-child configuration, with dad in the adjoining aisle seat.
& try to get those boarding passes right on the 24 hour mark, so you won't have a problem getting the seating you prefer :)

Do you have one of those portable DVD players? You can get them fairly cheap these days. I think what we are going to do is that if the seats are 3 to a row, both kids will sit together with me (so they can both watch a movie on the DVD) and my husband will sit alone. The kids are usually fine as long as they have their snacks and can watch a DVD.

If you travel alot by plane, I would invest in the CARES FAA-approved child harness. Especially since you won't be renting a car, no sense in lugging the car seats. I use this with my DD4 and its good to know she's secure in her seat. I would seat the kiddos together with a parent blocking the aisle if they are willing ... otherwise child-parent-child .... parent across the aisle. If you do window/mid x2 .... you would have to step over a stranger ... if you need to take the kids to the restroom.

If you travel alot by plane, I would invest in the CARES FAA-approved child harness. Especially since you won't be renting a car, no sense in lugging the car seats. I use this with my DD4 and its good to know she's secure in her seat. I would seat the kiddos together with a parent blocking the aisle if they are willing ... otherwise child-parent-child .... parent across the aisle. If you do window/mid x2 .... you would have to step over a stranger ... if you need to take the kids to the restroom.

It has a strap that goes all the way around the seat. Does this interfere with the tray table or TV screen of the passenger behind you?

I have a pair of Britax Marathons and a pair of Graco Turbo Boosters. The kids fit fine in either one. Does anyone know if I will have an issue with using either one of these? I usually use the Britax for vehicles with just a lap belt, like the RV or my older project car, since it has a built-in 5-point harness. Is just a lap belt in the Graco Booster safe for kids 3 and 4 years old?

Two and two. Find out who the kicker is and sit dh in front of that child :)

Why does it always have to be us? ;)

We have not flown since we had children 15 months apart a few years ago. Our flight came down to SW as a 3+3 or AirTran as a 3+2. Thankfully, we went with Airtran and paid for assigned seats, 2+2 with one DD at the window per parent in the aisle.

I'm not sure if SW gives the option of preassigning seats, so showing up and having to split up would have been devastating for my DDs, as they will probably need both parents nearby for their first take off. Getting online or showing up early to get a low letter/number boarding pass would have been impossible for us anyway.

If we went with SW, we had decided to do the 3+1, with the parents in the aisle. Everyone could see each other and communicate, and no one would be blocked in by a stranger.

I don't recall us having issues of the CAREs restraint being in the way of the person behind us. It is FAA approved, so they must have taken the TV and tray table set-ups into consideration. We've used it about 10 times .... no problems ..... best investment ever.

For the plane, the car seats have to be FAA approved. If they are, it should be indicated somewhere on the car seat. Label possibly? I'm pretty sure that the boosters cannot be used on the plane.

I looked long and hard for a car seat alternative when flying .... I'm petite, so carrying a car seat around anywhere is not an option. :rotfl:

From what I've seen (someone in front of my was using one), it goes around the seat, between the seat back and the tray table. So, the mom put down my table, but the straps around her child's seat and then put my table back up. It didn't effect my use of the table at all.

I have read stories of issues on certain planes where the tray table is recessed into the seat back. In these cases, the straps couldn't go between the seat and the tray table and would prevent the person behind you from opening up their tray table. I think, though, that these types of trays are rare (I think the poster who spoke of this was flying Delta, but I'm not sure). I don't remember the last time I saw a tray table that recessed into the seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter