• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For the weather pros out there - Tropical Storm Danny?

I live in Florida, and here is the update our emergency manager - who has done this for 30 years - posted today:

The season's fourth Tropical Storm is on the map as Danny is named in the Atlantic and he's looking healthier by the hour! The forecast track slows the intensifying storm and makes it a Category 2 hurricane with 100 mph winds by week's end. Models are in good agreement that it will reach the Lesser Antilles (outer islands) by early next week and cross into the Caribbean Sea. At that point we'll have to see how he fights off increasing wind shear. Remember, this storm is thousands of miles away and no threat to the U.S. at this time. It is however a reminder that we are approaching the peak of hurricane season and the half-way point is still over a week out!

BTW: Wind shear are known to rip storms apart, and there is a bunch of it out there according to the very smart guys. If it were me, I would keep an eye on it, but not worry too much about it. At this point the odds of it hitting Florida are low, and if it does hit Florida, the odds of it doing anything more than rain in Orlando (a common occurence anyway) are extremely low.

024741W5_NL_sm.gif

I wouldn't worry much about it. At worst, you'll get a day of really bad rain. Maybe a short power outage. Take a deck of cards and only of those phone battery chargers and you'll be fine.

This, of course, is assuming that the storm doesn't bring a Sharknado. I saw a documentary on TV a few weeks back where a storm hit Universal Orlando and sharks were dropping out of the sky and attacking people. Not sure how it missed Disney.

First of all, IF the storm hits Orlando, WDW is the best possible place to be. :)
They will take care of you perfectly well and you won't have the worries that the locals have of no power for many days, little accessiblity to water and grocery store shelves being picked clean.
If Danny (my 12 year old is a Danny too and a separate force of nature in his own right) happens to come to our area, I might consider hanging out at a Disney hotel for a few days myself. lol

First of all, IF the storm hits Orlando, WDW is the best possible place to be. :)
They will take care of you perfectly well and you won't have the worries that the locals have of no power for many days, little accessiblity to water and grocery store shelves being picked clean.
If Danny (my 12 year old is a Danny too and a separate force of nature in his own right) happens to come to our area, I might consider hanging out at a Disney hotel for a few days myself. lol

I'm not concerned about safety, I know Orlando is not a usual place for a hurricane to hit. I'm just hoping that our vacation isn't a wash out. I have no problem with the normal August storms, we throw on our ponchos and go.

It's something to keep an eye on, but I wouldn't be too concerned about it. IMO, Based on it's current path, it would have to do some major dancing in the Atlantic or hook around in the Gulf like Wilma did in 2005 to be a threat to Orlando. The longer path stays south of the DR/Cuba the better for Orlando/WDW. However, being from Louisiana (and the 10 year anniversary of Katrina approaching) we watch anything that develops in the Atlantic.

Disclaimer: I'm NOT a meteorologist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I always follow the hurricane centre updates for the 2 weeks leading up to my vacation, which is now, so I can be prepared to do a last minute flight change, if needed.

I also just like to watch the different models for these storms - I find it interesting. Everything I'm reading and seeing so far is saying this one will likely start lessening in strength in the next 5 days (after it peaks to hurricane status later this week).

Still too early to know for sure, but I'm not seeing anything in the stuff I've been reading to cause me any concern yet. If you are interested in getting more detail, just google spaghetti models for TS Danny and you'll find tons of info.

I lived in California for 40 years and whenever I would mention that fact to anyone who didn't live in California the first word out of their mouth was earthquake. Now that I live in Florida if I mention that to someone who doesn't live in Florida the first word out of their mouth is hurricane. It doesn't matter where you live, every place has natural disasters. I learned a long time ago not to worry. However the sharknado has me scared poopless.

I've lived in Michigan (born and raised), the Ala Gulf Coast (direct hit Ivan, fringes Katrina, evac but miss by Dennis) for five yrs, and then 7 in western KY.

No extreme weather can compare as far as I'm concerned to W KY. Catastrophic droughts, catastrophic flooding (consecutive yrs), emergency inducing Ice Storms that were exactly like quiet hurricanes and even more devastating leaving everyone powerless with no heat (unless you had gas, we didn't) for weeks in 18 degree weather in the mid of winter. Very dangerous especially for older ones. Oh yes, my car got totalled in a Hurricane Ike's landmass left overs, altho we never had any damage of our own wih a direct Cat 3 Ivan on the coast. We would have one town across the river wiped out by tornadoes in 75 degree storms in Nov only to have it drop to 30 and ice rain and then ten inches of snow just over a week later! I would often hear the sirens, put my dogs harnesses on and belt them to me and hide under a mattress cover in the pantry.

I'll take rain any day! (Altho I would prefer NOT another Charlie! That was pretty crappy for Central FL!)

I'm not concerned about safety, I know Orlando is not a usual place for a hurricane to hit. I'm just hoping that our vacation isn't a wash out. I have no problem with the normal August storms, we throw on our ponchos and go.
Your vacation won't be a wash out - at most there would be 12 hours of bad weather - so as long as you're there more than a day, you'll be fine.

What our local weather guru is saying as of today:

The track is beginning to indicate a path towards the NE area of the Caribbean. This lessens the chance for a storm that enters the Caribbean and stays south. It raises the chances for a storm that either impacts the US coast or stays out to sea as a fish storm. Regardless, I expect dry air and the strong shear environment of the Caribbean to take a toll on Danny once closer to the N. Lesser Antilles. With that being said, I would expect it to get stronger in the near-future then weaker near the NE Caribbean before seeing what this thing is going to do with regard to possible Bermuda Triangle passage. One thing is for sure, if it does head into the Bermuda Triangle, there is no shortage of warm water and low-shear factor which means a favorable environment for re-intensification. Still to early to sound any alarms. We can only take computer guidance day by day.

I've lived in Michigan (born and raised), the Ala Gulf Coast (direct hit Ivan, fringes Katrina, evac but miss by Dennis) for five yrs, and then 7 in western KY.

No extreme weather can compare as far as I'm concerned to W KY. Catastrophic droughts, catastrophic flooding (consecutive yrs), emergency inducing Ice Storms that were exactly like quiet hurricanes and even more devastating leaving everyone powerless with no heat (unless you had gas, we didn't) for weeks in 18 degree weather in the mid of winter. Very dangerous especially for older ones. Oh yes, my car got totalled in a Hurricane Ike's landmass left overs, altho we never had any damage of our own wih a direct Cat 3 Ivan on the coast. We would have one town across the river wiped out by tornadoes in 75 degree storms in Nov only to have it drop to 30 and ice rain and then ten inches of snow just over a week later! I would often hear the sirens, put my dogs harnesses on and belt them to me and hide under a mattress cover in the pantry.

I'll take rain any day! (Altho I would prefer NOT another Charlie! That was pretty crappy for Central FL!)

I live in NJ, and of all of the weather we get here, without a doubt, I am most terrified of the ice storms. And they come generally without warning here so it's not even like you can just stay in that day.

We leave August 30th until September 5th. I'm not concerned about having inclement weather there. As someone else mentioned though, I do not want delayed flights. We have been there when we had torrential downpours every single day of our trip before. Nothing stops the Newman Family vacation:D

According to wunderground we are looking at a cat 1 on Friday who will be getting weaker to a tropical depression again on Monday. If you want to really get into the details check our their wundermap. It's interactive and awesome!

I live about 25 minutes from WDW, and I'm not too concerned. I seriously doubt it is going to hit us as a hurricane. At most, we'll have a few days of rain. It's been a pretty wet August so far though, so a few more days of rain wouldn't be unusual at this point. I would say pack ponchos and try not to worry too much!

We leave August 30th until September 5th. I'm not concerned about having inclement weather there. As someone else mentioned though, I do not want delayed flights. We have been there when we had torrential downpours every single day of our trip before. Nothing stops the Newman Family vacation:D

Yeah, flights are the problem. I always say, we just have to get there (who cares about getting back ;) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter