• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Hi! I'm in the process of planning my 5th drive to WDW from North Jersey (guess that makes be bronze level!) and would really appreciate some advice. All my trips have been on weekdays, so I know all about avoiding the DC and Baltimore areas during rush hour. And I pretty much know the distance I can drive on a weekday - I like to stop by 5 or 6 pm. (Too much time in the car is not good for these old bones!) This time, I will be driving on Saturday and Sunday in November, so I am not familiar with the traffic patterns on the weekends.

Do you think I can plan to drive more miles each day just by the fact that it is a weekend and there shouldn't be as much traffic and slow areas? That's what I'm thinking, but I would really like to hear from anyone who has done this trip on the weekend. Usually I drive about 475 miles on day 1 and 550 on day 2. Then I have about 100 miles to go to get to our WDW hotel. I'm wondering if I could expect to incorporated that 100-mile trip into the first 2 days without increasing the drive time, just for the fact that I'm driving on Saturday and Sunday. What do you think?

The weather and scheduled pro sports in Baltimore notwithstanding, weekend drives generally are a bit better; however, an early departure is still necessary to avoid all the other folks who are aware about the potentially positive aspects of weekend drives. If you could take a couple of longer breaks (20 minutes instead of 10) during your first day behind the wheel you could make an additional 100 miles. Of course, early sunsets bring on that nighttime drive sooner than you would like. If you are during a two-day drive, it's best to drive over 50% of your total journey the first day.

All the best!:thumbsup2

The weather and scheduled pro sports in Baltimore notwithstanding, weekend drives generally are a bit better; however, an early departure is still necessary to avoid all the other folks who are aware about the potentially positive aspects of weekend drives. If you could take a couple of longer breaks (20 minutes instead of 10) during your first day behind the wheel you could make an additional 100 miles. Of course, early sunsets bring on that nighttime drive sooner than you would like. If you are during a two-day drive, it's best to drive over 50% of your total journey the first day.

All the best!:thumbsup2

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to plot my trip using your ideas and see what it looks like.

Hi! I'm in the process of planning my 5th drive to WDW from North Jersey (guess that makes be bronze level!) and would really appreciate some advice. All my trips have been on weekdays, so I know all about avoiding the DC and Baltimore areas during rush hour. And I pretty much know the distance I can drive on a weekday - I like to stop by 5 or 6 pm. (Too much time in the car is not good for these old bones!) This time, I will be driving on Saturday and Sunday in November, so I am not familiar with the traffic patterns on the weekends.

Do you think I can plan to drive more miles each day just by the fact that it is a weekend and there shouldn't be as much traffic and slow areas? That's what I'm thinking, but I would really like to hear from anyone who has done this trip on the weekend. Usually I drive about 475 miles on day 1 and 550 on day 2. Then I have about 100 miles to go to get to our WDW hotel. I'm wondering if I could expect to incorporated that 100-mile trip into the first 2 days without increasing the drive time, just for the fact that I'm driving on Saturday and Sunday. What do you think?

I am probably not the best person to answer since I tend to drive straight through, leaving early morning. I have gone on weekend days (Saturdays and Sundays) but again, early morning, but would think even later the traffic situation in general would be better than on a weekday during rush hour times. What time of day do you intend to leave? Adding another 100 miles to a day's drive is only around an hour and a half more driving, at least in some states you'll be driving in. So you would have to decide if you can do that or it will be too much for you. I am also assuming your November drive is not over Thanksgiving weekend!

I am probably not the best person to answer since I tend to drive straight through, leaving early morning. I have gone on weekend days (Saturdays and Sundays) but again, early morning, but would think even later the traffic situation in general would be better than on a weekday during rush hour times. What time of day do you intend to leave? Adding another 100 miles to a day's drive is only around an hour and a half more driving, at least in some states you'll be driving in. So you would have to decide if you can do that or it will be too much for you. I am also assuming your November drive is not over Thanksgiving weekend!

Thanks for your input! Not driving Thanksgiving week - whew! I'm going to try to get on the road at 8:00am. I'll know better as the date gets closer how long I think we can drive and work it out from there.

Yes we've done weekends during that time of year. There is no rush hour, so not likely you'll be in stopped traffic. I think there's always more traffic through DC/Virginia, especially near the big malls and shopping areas since Christmas shopping is in full effect.

Yes we've done weekends during that time of year. There is no rush hour, so not likely you'll be in stopped traffic. I think there's always more traffic through DC/Virginia, especially near the big malls and shopping areas since Christmas shopping is in full effect.

Wow, I didn't even consider that. Thanks!

Fortunately there's never any traffic at South of the Border at any time. How can that place afford all those I-95 billboards?

We have stopped there for gas and, we confess, once purchased two grilled cheese sandwiches.

All the best! :thumbsup2

Fortunately there's never any traffic at South of the Border at any time. How can that place afford all those I-95 billboards?

We have stopped there for gas and, we confess, once purchased two grilled cheese sandwiches.

And you survived to tell us about it!:rotfl2: I love those billboards but have never stopped.

And you survived to tell us about it!:rotfl2: I love those billboards but have never stopped.

We haven driven past South of the Border dozens of times at various times during the year and at various times during the day --- and we have never seen a crowd, just a handful of vehicles. How that place survives, considering its annual billboard costs, taxes, food & beverage costs and payroll is beyond us. Still, that tacky place indicates a great mile marker on a drive to WDW.

Consider it a bargain that you are paying $65 to keep your insurance record clean. The increase for the next 3 years would be far more than $65.

Still sucks but that's the way the game is played. Same game here in NC.

I definitely am happy that I won't get points on my license and an insurance rate hike- but I'm still angry because this is a scam and shouldn't be happening. I sent my money order for the court certified mail and hopefully it's over.

We haven driven past South of the Border dozens of times at various times during the year and at various times during the day --- and we have never seen a crowd, just a handful of vehicles. How that place survives, considering its annual billboard costs, taxes, food & beverage costs and payroll is beyond us. Still, that tacky place indicates a great mile marker on a drive to WDW.

One time in probably 1979 on the way home we stopped there at around 6 AM on a Sunday morning and ate chili for breakfast. Fortunately at the time I was still young enough to handle that!

Years later my children loved stopping at the gift shop and fireworks shop, and it made a good little 30 minute stretch and stop for them. It gave them something to look forward to, and was close to the halfway point from my area.

It also seems to me that the billboards are not what they were way back when, though that may be partially due to my aging too!

Would love any tips I can gain from all of you!

We drove down from CT to Disney back in mid August. Left at 8pm at night and drove through the night. Highlight of the trip was when we stopped in Southern Jersey and woke my son up and he asked if we were in Disney World. Other highlight was when we arrived at my husband's aunt's home and she had a home cooked meal ready for us after being up for 24 plus hours (I can't sleep in the car at all). Kids were bouncing off the walls when we hit Georgia. It was a long trip home.

It was the way home that was horrible. Left the resort at 10:45 (just poor planning on packing and getting out) and ending up stopping for the night in Dunn, NC. To avoid traffic through DC, New Jersey, and New York, we went through PA on the way home and it was so long and horrible.

Can anyone recommend a better way? I wanted to spoon my eyes out it was that bad. We will be driving straight down for sure and the way back we will be stopping.

I am a little over an hour from the DE Memorial Bridge and used to drive straight down to WDW (leaving 2:30 AM and arriving around 7 PM) but left later on the return trip so used to stop in VA on the way back. But I got to dread that second day on the way home, so instead have been trying to leave WDW by 8 AM and been getting home midnight or a little after. Leaving around 8 AM put us in the DC area around 9 pm, after the weekday rush.

Or of course if the DC rush is an issue, you could return on a weekend day.

I definitely am happy that I won't get points on my license and an insurance rate hike- but I'm still angry because this is a scam and shouldn't be happening. I sent my money order for the court certified mail and hopefully it's over.

I don't disagree with you that it's a scam, target Out of State drivers for revenue. They are an easy mark because they most likely won't or can't go to court to fight it. It's the same thing with Maryland and their automated "photo" tickets. No way to challenge them unless you drive there for a court date and don't get me started on their appeal process ( or lack thereof) for when they say you blew a toll booth. Their equipment at one booth doesn't pick up your EZ-Pass properly and they whack you with admin fees, max toll, etc. Mind you the Ft McHenry tunnel and every other toll booth from there on thru NY had no issues.

dvczerfs, a major record holder among 2,000+ mile round-trip drivers (see page 1, post 1), is scheduled to hit the road once again tomorrow, Friday September 9.

Safe travels!

dvczerfs, a major record holder among 2,000+ mile round-trip drivers (see page 1, post 1), is scheduled to hit the road once again tomorrow, Friday September 9.

Safe travels!

Surprise, surprise!!! Yes, it's true..... We are going to Disney World.lol
Not sure when we are leaving Friday. Pending on dw's work. We are spending two weeks at, Boardwalk in a one bedroom, just dw and I. The kid is going down the first week of October with a friend she worked with in the mk. They are meeting up with some other past and current cms.
I'm going to be heading 78/81/66/17/95/4 on the way down. Hitting the major traffic areas at non rush hour.
Way home looks like 4/95/26/77/81/78.
Weather looks good to travel, yes going straight through both directions. Vans packed and ready to go, (the last three weeks lol)
Got Sunpass in the window in case any i4 problems.I got notification of rolling lane closures tonight, tomorrow night and Saturday night. Troopers will be closing lanes as needed, they are moving beams into the construction area on i4. They are to be between 10pm and 5am but you know how that goes.
Anyway, I'll check back in with how it went.
Looking forward to the two weeks. Drive safe and always keep the shinny side up!!

Not sure when we are leaving Friday. Pending on dw's work. We are spending two weeks at, Boardwalk in a one bedroom, just dw and I. The kid is going down the first week of October with a friend she worked with in the mk. They are meeting up with some other past and current cms.
I'm going to be heading 78/81/66/17/95/4 on the way down. Hitting the major traffic areas at non rush hour.
Weather looks good to travel, yes going straight through both directions. Vans packed and ready to go, (the last three weeks lol)
Got Sunpass in the window in case any i4 problems.I got notification of rolling lane closures tonight, tomorrow night and Saturday night. Troopers will be closing lanes as needed, they are moving beams into the construction area on i4. They are to be between 10pm and 5am but you know how that goes.
Looking forward to the two weeks. Drive safe and always keep the shinny side up!!

Hey fellow, Pennsylvanian! We leave tomorrow too! Inland route all the way, but I don't think we're brave enough to go straight through. Best travels and keep an eye out for fellow Disney fans!

Oh, wanted to ask, what did you sign up for to get i4 notifications? We are bringing a sun pass too.

Safe travels, have a great time, have a drink at Big River Grille for me!

Hey fellow, Pennsylvanian! We leave tomorrow too! Inland route all the way, but I don't think we're brave enough to go straight through. Best travels and keep an eye out for fellow Disney fans!

Oh, wanted to ask, what did you sign up for to get i4 notifications? We are bringing a sun pass too.
Safe travels!! I'm in a 2016 crystler town and country. Well marked. Lol
Well, to answer your question, I have a "friend in the business". Hes also good at pointing out "slow down between this point and this point" through Ga and Fl. I get up to date text message often.
See ya on the road!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter