"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

We are scheduled to leave the Jersey shore on Wednesday around 1/2pm. Arriving at the inlaws in Longwood, NC (just north of Myrtle Beach) to drop the pups off and a quick visit, then we are heading to WDW 5am Saturday morning. Does anyone have a useful suggestions if 95 is still closed in parts of NC/SC/GA?

Thanks!
North Carolina is the only place where i95 is closed. As of Monday at 1pm it's closed at mm73-58 and mm31-13.
If you google nc dot i95 traffic, one of your first options is the nc dot.gov traffic web site, click on there, it will give you all the update info..

I295 is a 61 mile detour around Jacksonville. You do it in 15-20 minutes Mario? Lol
If I would hit Jacks anytime other then the middle of the night or the wee hours in the morning, I'd take i295. That construction site and the width of those three lanes in some spots is a death trap. I'd love to see that at rush hour from the air, I bet nothing moves.
Exactly! I think if you compare sitting in traffic vs 295, it adds 20 or 30 minutes at least, but we move the whole time. We would hit it around noon or 1 in the afternoon so the Waze app will tell us which way to go.

Exactly! I think if you compare sitting in traffic vs 295, it adds 20 or 30 minutes at least, but we move the whole time. We would hit it around noon or 1 in the afternoon so the Waze app will tell us which way to go.
When are you guys going down again? We are going down the first week of March but we are just going to do a few day trips. We are going down to visit the in laws and one of my customers who just retired.
We are doing the two week thing again in September, worked out nice for us this past September.

See that picture on fb of south of the border? WOW!!!

Two and a half more weeks till we hit the road any recommended places to stay. We would like to get around the Santee area but using that as just a point of reference for distance. We are not familiar with these areas at all so we hope to get some ideas from the great people here. Thanks again for all the great info so far.

Two and a half more weeks till we hit the road any recommended places to stay. We would like to get around the Santee area but using that as just a point of reference for distance. We are not familiar with these areas at all so we hope to get some ideas from the great people here. Thanks again for all the great info so far.
I'm a straight through person but just about every exit has something. I hit the Hampton inns only because of points etc... when we did stop. Santee is a nice area, we have stayed there a few times over the years. Not sure how much damage a lot of these places have gotten from the storm. May want to call in a few weeks.

When are you guys going down again? We are going down the first week of March but we are just going to do a few day trips. We are going down to visit the in laws and one of my customers who just retired.
We are doing the two week thing again in September, worked out nice for us this past September.

Thanksgiving. We just can't take Lauren out of school any more, high school is too much work lol. They have off the whole Thanksgiving week. Next time back will probably be Spring 2018, school trip for band and choir to Disney.

The September trip looked fantastic, I love the fact that you're finally staying at your home resort of Boardwalk. We love it there so much, but it gets too far out of our price range for when we're going. We're doing OKW this time, had to pay FULL PRICE but got Free Dining so at least we're getting something. Also taking a friend of Lauren's so we're going to do a bunch of buffets - Crystal Palace lunch, Garden Grill lunch, Trail's End Brunch and Dinner, Captain's Grille Brunch and Biergarten. Plus Olivia's for Thanksgiving. We have a BOG lunch for 4, don't know how we're going to get a 5 instead and we don't want to give that up!!! Do you guys get the Dining Plan? This is our first time and we're hoping we use it right lol.

I guess we're going to have to take a trip to the local Cracker Barrel to see you guys! It's been way too long. I'm glad we can see you guys on Facebook at least. Our kids have grown up so fast, it's amazing to see.

Thanksgiving. We just can't take Lauren out of school any more, high school is too much work lol. They have off the whole Thanksgiving week. Next time back will probably be Spring 2018, school trip for band and choir to Disney.

The September trip looked fantastic, I love the fact that you're finally staying at your home resort of Boardwalk. We love it there so much, but it gets too far out of our price range for when we're going. We're doing OKW this time, had to pay FULL PRICE but got Free Dining so at least we're getting something. Also taking a friend of Lauren's so we're going to do a bunch of buffets - Crystal Palace lunch, Garden Grill lunch, Trail's End Brunch and Dinner, Captain's Grille Brunch and Biergarten. Plus Olivia's for Thanksgiving. We have a BOG lunch for 4, don't know how we're going to get a 5 instead and we don't want to give that up!!! Do you guys get the Dining Plan? This is our first time and we're hoping we use it right lol.

I guess we're going to have to take a trip to the local Cracker Barrel to see you guys! It's been way too long. I'm glad we can see you guys on Facebook at least. Our kids have grown up so fast, it's amazing to see.
Yes, it has been too long. It's just one thing after another. The bog, just show up with five, we had that a few years ago, one of Brianas friends who she worked with wanted to go along to bog, I just said we have five not four and they said no problem.
I was looking to book a cash reservation in March for two nights for just Tammy and I, I almost passed out!!!! When did the double the prices of rooms!! Lol Even with dvc cash discount, it was still close to a grand for a few nights. Lol
I'll just drive back and forth a couple days.

Yes, it has been too long. It's just one thing after another. The bog, just show up with five, we had that a few years ago, one of Brianas friends who she worked with wanted to go along to bog, I just said we have five not four and they said no problem.
I was looking to book a cash reservation in March for two nights for just Tammy and I, I almost passed out!!!! When did the double the prices of rooms!! Lol Even with dvc cash discount, it was still close to a grand for a few nights. Lol
I'll just drive back and forth a couple days.

Prices have really gotten crazy. That's why we're not going as often, it's just not really worth the effort for the cost. The tickets are outrageous too, at least you got that going for you, an annual pass.

Funny thing is that renting points is almost as much as direct from Disney with a discount, so we haven't gone that road yet. I think if you want a studio, it's great. Otherwise, forget it!

Seriously, maybe we can do Sunday dinner at your Cracker Barrel. We don't have one around us!

Prices have really gotten crazy. That's why we're not going as often, it's just not really worth the effort for the cost. The tickets are outrageous too, at least you got that going for you, an annual pass.

Funny thing is that renting points is almost as much as direct from Disney with a discount, so we haven't gone that road yet. I think if you want a studio, it's great. Otherwise, forget it!

Seriously, maybe we can do Sunday dinner at your Cracker Barrel. We don't have one around us!
We go either Saturday or Sunday night, just let me know.
I never did a meal plan. The numbers just never worked for us. I priced the meal plan for this past September trip, you seen where we ate every night and what we drank, we spent less on food,wine,snacks and a few souvenirs then what just the meal plan would have cost for two weeks. But, that's us. My nephew and his family, seemed to work for them.
Thank god we bought into dvc in 1999, at the way the prices are, there's no way we could go down as much as we do, even at the discounted room rates, I almost fell over. Wow!
But I say wow!! just about for everything. Lol I looked into staying at the Hershey hotel a few nights this past summer, darn near fell over. Lol. That's ok, I'll drive back home. Lol

Headin' south on Oct. 23. The posts about I-95 in NC are appreciated. But those poor folks in and around Lumberton....

All the best! :thumbsup2

I should have also posted here - copying from my thread I95

Well Monday was definitely not good for us but we made it here safe. We took I95 all the way down and were good up to/right before Dunn - it all went down hill from there. All backed up - we had to exit and take a detour. That moved very slow and had to go a little while. We get back on and were good for a little bit but......more back up right before Lumberton. We were stuck here for a long time. Emergency vehicles all over the place (we find out later they were going to evacuate people on the roofs in Lumberton). We exit and are giving directions again to detour. But somewhere we are told to go back North for about 12 exits. We then get out and were told to go one way only to find out as soon as we exit to make a Uturn and follow the signs. Guess what? There were no signs. We got to a point we had no idea where we were going. Had a map that is 40 years old and no internet or phone service. We finally started to drive 24/27W (I think) towards Charlotte to get 77. Somewhere in the middle, I could see we can go straight down to South Carolina and hopefully get to I95 in Florence. We were far enough out west that the GPS would direct us with new directions to get towards the resort.

Going through the towns not knowing where/how long/no service was not phone. Then in the town we hit another detour since there are trees down everywhere. Luckily it was not too bad getting back on the road. Anyway, we ended up taking 109 S from NC 24/27W.

(it was more frustrating because we were not given right instructions two times).

It took us 15 1/2 hours from home (NY) to hit SC and another hour to hit I95 in Florence. We were just happy to get there before dark.

Now finding a room was another problem. Every exit no power (no business) or hotels were all booked. Finally the only hotel is Howard Johnson. We pay. Get in room and walk right out for a refund. A few more exits/tries and we finally get a room at a Holiday Inn in Walterboro (sp?) SC - nine pm. 19 1/2 hours after leaving home.

Lumberton was really bad/flooded. We are hoping it's clear on the way home.

We were going to drive West form home - NJ/PA 77 to 26 I believe and then to I95 (I don't have the directions in front of me).

This morning at the resort we find out someone from NJ took that route and he said everyone had that idea also and traffic was bumper to bumper and also took extra time. He also said he never saw so many trucks in his life.

I know it's long but just wanted to share my experience. It was not good. We made it safe and that is all that matters.

SC and Florida is all open. Keep checking for NC.

Just wanted to add - we should have taken the alternate route, cancelled or just fly down. We had already cancelled our Vero portion before Disney.
If I95 is not open next week, definitely taking the alternate route.

Also - Even if I95 is open for those driving down to Florida from up north - even if power is back on.......many hotels are booked. Book a room before coming down if you can. Many, almost all sold out..........many utility people, first responders, FEMA might be putting people up in hotels, etc. are in the hotels. We saw tons of them. Just so you are aware if you plan on stopping anywhere near NC (towards SC more), top of SC.

Sorry this is sloppy and might not make sense. A little rushed here.

I should have also posted here - copying from my thread I95

Well Monday was definitely not good for us but we made it here safe. We took I95 all the way down and were good up to/right before Dunn - it all went down hill from there. All backed up - we had to exit and take a detour. That moved very slow and had to go a little while. We get back on and were good for a little bit but......more back up right before Lumberton. We were stuck here for a long time. Emergency vehicles all over the place (we find out later they were going to evacuate people on the roofs in Lumberton). We exit and are giving directions again to detour. But somewhere we are told to go back North for about 12 exits. We then get out and were told to go one way only to find out as soon as we exit to make a Uturn and follow the signs. Guess what? There were no signs. We got to a point we had no idea where we were going. Had a map that is 40 years old and no internet or phone service. We finally started to drive 24/27W (I think) towards Charlotte to get 77. Somewhere in the middle, I could see we can go straight down to South Carolina and hopefully get to I95 in Florence. We were far enough out west that the GPS would direct us with new directions to get towards the resort.

Going through the towns not knowing where/how long/no service was not phone. Then in the town we hit another detour since there are trees down everywhere. Luckily it was not too bad getting back on the road. Anyway, we ended up taking 109 S from NC 24/27W.

(it was more frustrating because we were not given right instructions two times).

It took us 15 1/2 hours from home (NY) to hit SC and another hour to hit I95 in Florence. We were just happy to get there before dark.

Now finding a room was another problem. Every exit no power (no business) or hotels were all booked. Finally the only hotel is Howard Johnson. We pay. Get in room and walk right out for a refund. A few more exits/tries and we finally get a room at a Holiday Inn in Walterboro (sp?) SC - nine pm. 19 1/2 hours after leaving home.

Lumberton was really bad/flooded. We are hoping it's clear on the way home.

We were going to drive West form home - NJ/PA 77 to 26 I believe and then to I95 (I don't have the directions in front of me).

This morning at the resort we find out someone from NJ took that route and he said everyone had that idea also and traffic was bumper to bumper and also took extra time. He also said he never saw so many trucks in his life.

I know it's long but just wanted to share my experience. It was not good. We made it safe and that is all that matters.

SC and Florida is all open. Keep checking for NC.

Just wanted to add - we should have taken the alternate route, cancelled or just fly down. We had already cancelled our Vero portion before Disney.
If I95 is not open next week, definitely taking the alternate route.

Also - Even if I95 is open for those driving down to Florida from up north - even if power is back on.......many hotels are booked. Book a room before coming down if you can. Many, almost all sold out..........many utility people, first responders, FEMA might be putting people up in hotels, etc. are in the hotels. We saw tons of them. Just so you are aware if you plan on stopping anywhere near NC (towards SC more), top of SC.

Sorry this is sloppy and might not make sense. A little rushed here.
Thanks for posting we are leaving from Long Island on the 28th hoping to make santee on day one. Hope everything is open by then. Glad you made it safe and thanks again for the post.

Oh man, what a trying experience. Obviously the main thing is that you made it safely, but holy cow that doesn't sound fun. Just for a point of reference, how long should it have taken you?

Oh man, what a trying experience. Obviously the main thing is that you made it safely, but holy cow that doesn't sound fun. Just for a point of reference, how long should it have taken you?

GPS says almost 17 hours to Florida normally (of course we make multiple stops and stop overnight - usually somewhere in Jacksonville) - left at 2 am - we finally got a room in SC at 9PM.

Posted at 4:20 pm. 10/14 on WRAL-TV station in NC

While southbound lanes of I-95 south are closed, traffic will be rerouted through Benson along N.C. Highway 242 from Interstate 40 through downtown Benson on U.S. Highway 301 before it eventually rejoins I-95 at Jonesboro Road near Dunn.

Benson police will assist in directing traffic through the detour and minimize impact on local roads. Significant delays are expected.

Once all traffic is moved to the northbound side of the highway, the traffic shift will remain in place for at least three weeks as DOT officials repair the damaged section of I-95.

Read more at http://www.wral.com/section-of-i-95...matthew-repairs/16114056/#AHDcS5FURfcmVDUi.99

Rivers cresting today (Friday) in eastern NC; I-95 still affected. [See previous post link.]

Several NC TV stations can be accessed on line.

From Eyewitness News 11 in NC:

To avoid congestion on the provided detour route, motorists entering North Carolina from Virginia on I-95 are encouraged to use the following alternate routes:

All southbound traffic from North Carolina/Virginia state line should travel south on I-95 to US-64 West. Once on US-64 West, travel west toward I-440 West. Once on I-440 West, motorists will travel to US-1 South From US-1 South, motorists will continue to US-501 South in Aberdeen/Southern Pines. Continue on US-501 South through Aberdeen toward US-74 East Motorists will then travel US-74 East to I-95 South

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter