Food prices at Aulani INSANE

The grills were closed in December. Maybe call to check when you plan to visit.

I don’t think the pizza place you inquired about is there anymore. There’s an ice cream place on the corner next to Monkeypod.

Strongly recommend Mad Bene Italian for a nice restaurant (but not fine dining) experience. They’re located in the same shopping center as target. Get the market price gnocchi of the day! Freshly made and melts in your mouth!! Wonderful Al dente pasta and Naples style pizza.
So many of the restaurants in Kapolei seem like holes in the wall in older outdoor malls, with zero ambience, but this place looks great, and the menu looks very nice. During our Feb trip, if we have a rainy afternoon, which we probably will, we’re going to go see a movie at the Regal and then try it out. It’s right next door. Good suggestion!

Well, I'm not sure what class hotel Aulani is considered (just googled....it's a four star resort)...but we're going to Hawaii for the first time ever....for our 25th wedding anniversary. Our trip has morphed a bit, at first we were doing Maui and Kauai, then just Kauai, but now we're spending 5 nights on the south shore of Kauai at a 4 star Ko'a Kea in the Ocean Front One Bedroom Suite. And five nights on the BI at Auberge's 5 star Mauna Lani in an Ocean Front room (the room is nearly 700 sq ft though...so it's a big room), and we're spending 15K on our 10 nights...taxes and resort fees included.

Then you start looking at excursions...etc....and that's all really expensive as well. I booked us for a deluxe valance helicopter tour....that alone was $714 each! I've looked at some of the menus of restaurants that we've booked...and again, almost all are 30-50% more than we just paid on a 5 star vacation in Costa Rica.

Obviously, I think you can spend *way* less to travel to Hawaii if you stay in less fancy hotels, or Air BnB it and cook in your unit....etc. But we've just concluded it's just a very expensive place to visit. But...we're excited to be going :).

I'm also booking a two week trip to South Africa....5 days in Cape Town, 9 days at Safari Lodges....all transport, excursions in Cape Town, all meals except for lunches and dinners in Cape Town included (and obviously the safari game drives are included)....and that trip is coming in at 30K (no flights included). But still....on a daily rate with excursions/entertainment/food/ground transportation included...it's definitely a cheaper trip than Hawaii.

Well, I'm not sure what class hotel Aulani is considered (just googled....it's a four star resort)...but we're going to Hawaii for the first time ever....for our 25th wedding anniversary. Our trip has morphed a bit, at first we were doing Maui and Kauai, then just Kauai, but now we're spending 5 nights on the south shore of Kauai at a 4 star Ko'a Kea in the Ocean Front One Bedroom Suite. And five nights on the BI at Auberge's 5 star Mauna Lani in an Ocean Front room (the room is nearly 700 sq ft though...so it's a big room), and we're spending 15K on our 10 nights...taxes and resort fees included.

Then you start looking at excursions...etc....and that's all really expensive as well. I booked us for a deluxe valance helicopter tour....that alone was $714 each! I've looked at some of the menus of restaurants that we've booked...and again, almost all are 30-50% more than we just paid on a 5 star vacation in Costa Rica.

Obviously, I think you can spend *way* less to travel to Hawaii if you stay in less fancy hotels, or Air BnB it and cook in your unit....etc. But we've just concluded it's just a very expensive place to visit. But...we're excited to be going :).

I'm also booking a two week trip to South Africa....5 days in Cape Town, 9 days at Safari Lodges....all transport, excursions in Cape Town, all meals except for lunches and dinners in Cape Town included (and obviously the safari game drives are included)....and that trip is coming in at 30K (no flights included). But still....on a daily rate with excursions/entertainment/food/ground transportation included...it's definitely a cheaper trip than Hawaii.
I was just in South Africa for thanksgiving- it was so amazing!!

DVC use of Aulani is a good deal and people can cook in the rooms etc. But for cash rooms I don’t really get it for all the reasons you say.

I was just in South Africa for thanksgiving- it was so amazing!!

DVC use of Aulani is a good deal and people can cook in the rooms etc. But for cash rooms I don’t really get it for all the reasons you say.

Right, I think DVC use of points for Aulani makes sense...as a cash room, I looked at a "deluxe suite"...which I guess is a studio...with an ocean view. For our dates with tax it worked out to about $950 a night. And those rooms aren't ocean front, and are 1/2 the size of the rooms we booked at the 4 and 5 star hotels we've chosen.

Aulani sounds great for families (obviously)....but it's also a huge hotel with 350 rooms/suites and another 400+one/two bedroom set-ups. We were looking for something a bit quieter, and don't mind kids, but didn't want a "kid-centric" hotel if that makes sense. But completely get the sticker shock aspect of all of Hawaii as I have gone along booking hotels, excursions, transport, restaurants etc.

Am looking forward to Hawaii for sure, but the South Africa trip is the bucket list one for sure. We're not going until September of 2024, and had to switch from one of the lodges we chose to another because it's already completely booked. Hard to believe, but some of the lodges have only 10 suites/tents...etc, and so tour groups can sometimes book up some of these lodges for weeks at a time as they bring groups through. Some of these lodges book 2 years in advance. It's nuts.

So many of the restaurants in Kapolei seem like holes in the wall in older outdoor malls, with zero ambience, but this place looks great, and the menu looks very nice. During our Feb trip, if we have a rainy afternoon, which we probably will, we’re going to go see a movie at the Regal and then try it out. It’s right next door. Good suggestion!
It was quite the find. I was reading one of the spa magazines while waiting for my treatment and it was a full page ad. I said, wow that looks amazing and googled the location.

Being from Vegas—where all our local restaurants are in strip malls—I’m less phased by gems hiding out in them.

We have a toddler so we eat on the earlier side, but when we left the place was packed. I’m still dreaming of that gnocchi appetizer. Seriously one of the best and most memorable things I’ve eaten in years.

We will usually do takeout from Kapolei restaurants because of the zero ambiance. So many nice spots at Aulani to picnic.

The grills were closed in December. Maybe call to check when you plan to visit.

I don’t think the pizza place you inquired about is there anymore. There’s an ice cream place on the corner next to Monkeypod.

Strongly recommend Mad Bene Italian for a nice restaurant (but not fine dining) experience. They’re located in the same shopping center as target. Get the market price gnocchi of the day! Freshly made and melts in your mouth!! Wonderful Al dente pasta and Naples style pizza.
I will have to try out Mad Bene. I was initially turned off by the $30+ price tag for chicken parm and pasta.

Some reasonable options here. I think pizza at Ulu for dinner is $21 and families seem to split it or couples get it and have leftovers. Sandwiches and salads like $15. Breakfast wrap (like a burrito) $14 and also substantial enough that we split it. As someone who travels all over the world I have seen worse. Chicken tenders and side of fries or salad at pool service were $18.

Some reasonable options here. I think pizza at Ulu for dinner is $21 and families seem to split it or couples get it and have leftovers. Sandwiches and salads like $15. Breakfast wrap (like a burrito) $14 and also substantial enough that we split it. As someone who travels all over the world I have seen worse. Chicken tenders and side of fries or salad at pool service were $18.
Off The Hook and The Olelo Room are of course pricier, but not off the charts.

Right, I think DVC use of points for Aulani makes sense...as a cash room, I looked at a "deluxe suite"...which I guess is a studio...with an ocean view. For our dates with tax it worked out to about $950 a night. And those rooms aren't ocean front, and are 1/2 the size of the rooms we booked at the 4 and 5 star hotels we've chosen.

Aulani sounds great for families (obviously)....but it's also a huge hotel with 350 rooms/suites and another 400+one/two bedroom set-ups. We were looking for something a bit quieter, and don't mind kids, but didn't want a "kid-centric" hotel if that makes sense. But completely get the sticker shock aspect of all of Hawaii as I have gone along booking hotels, excursions, transport, restaurants etc.

Am looking forward to Hawaii for sure, but the South Africa trip is the bucket list one for sure. We're not going until September of 2024, and had to switch from one of the lodges we chose to another because it's already completely booked. Hard to believe, but some of the lodges have only 10 suites/tents...etc, and so tour groups can sometimes book up some of these lodges for weeks at a time as they bring groups through. Some of these lodges book 2 years in advance. It's nuts.
So right on Africa - we had some intention of doing Kenya/Tanzania at first but basically couldn’t get into the Giraffe manor over months - so we put that on the back burner. It was all for the best because SA was so amazing! But the planning is bonkers!

So right on Africa - we had some intention of doing Kenya/Tanzania at first but basically couldn’t get into the Giraffe manor over months - so we put that on the back burner. It was all for the best because SA was so amazing! But the planning is bonkers!

Glad to hear it! We also looked at doing SA and Botswana, but Botswana makes the 5 start in the Greater Kruger in SA look cheap! And so tough to plan for because Botswana limits tourists to such a great degree ( a good thing in my opinion), but makes it tough to plan for sure). So, for our first time out it will be Cape Town and lodges in the Greater Kruger. From everything I've read and seen....can't imagine well be disappointed :).

CNN reported that the price of 1 dozen eggs in Hawaii is $10.99. There was no specific location given. The price of eggs is up everywhere due to chickens dying from Avian Bird Flu, but Hawaii is the current highest price.

-Paul

CNN reported that the price of 1 dozen eggs in Hawaii is $10.99. There was no specific location given. The price of eggs is up everywhere due to chickens dying from Avian Bird Flu, but Hawaii is the current highest price.

-Paul
Yikes; that’s terrible. And probably really frustrating to locals who have chickens running everywhere 😂 A 12-pack of canned Cokes was $12.50 at Walmart when we were there this summer; that’s over double mainland prices. I think folks who’ve never traveled to AK or HI are just, in general, oblivious to how much it costs to get many food items in those places.

Yikes; that’s terrible. And probably really frustrating to locals who have chickens running everywhere 😂 A 12-pack of canned Cokes was $12.50 at Walmart when we were there this summer; that’s over double mainland prices. I think folks who’ve never traveled to AK or HI are just, in general, oblivious to how much it costs to get many food items in those places.
We’ve shopped at the state’s largest Whole Foods, in Ward Village near Waikiki, and noticed that the prices of most items are about equivalent, or only a little higher, than Whole Foods in LA. Of course I didn’t check particular items, and Whole Foods to begin with is pricey.

My fave type of restaurant is a hole in the wall with zero ambience! That's how you know the food is delicious. That and places with locals piled in.

My fave type of restaurant is a hole in the wall with zero ambience! That's how you know the food is delicious. That and places with locals piled in.
Yeah, good point. It’s just hard to find the good ones, especially if you don’t live there. Are you referring to a place near Aulani? If do, what is it?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter