FOOD FRENZY: 21 Days of disney dining with pics! -COMPLETED!

taylorl25

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

I just got back today after 21 days at Disney with the free ddp! God that was a lot of food, I haven't braved the scales yet but whatever I've put on but it was worth it! We had some fantastic meals and I remembered to take pictures of almost all of them.

Table service restaurants I'll be reviewing are:

Spoodles
Capt'n'jacks
Mama Melroses
Citricos
Boma
Kona Cafe
Coral Reef
Jikos
Le Cellier
Chefs de france
Flying fish
Garden Grill
Raglan Road
California Grill
Artist Point
Wolfgang Puck Cafe.

I'll also review the counter service restaurants we ate at which include POFQ and POR foodcourt, WPE, Tangerine Cafe, Pizzafari, Columbia Harbour House and Restaurantsaurus.

As well as all these meals we also sampled quite a bit from the F&W festival which I'll include pictures and reviews of.

Before we start I'll just give a brief introduction of myself and DH.

Me: 27 year old foodie who'll try anything once. The only issue I have is I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to spicy food.

DH: 35 year old vegetarian of 10 years, again loves to try new foods as long as they don't contain meat or fish. This shaped a lot of our ADR choices as I tried to pick places that had some different vegetarian options than the standard pasta dish.

Oh and we were staying at POFQ this trip which I really enjoyed. Ok on with the reviews!:cheer2:

I'm looking forward to this. I'm due to eat at some of these restaurants so value reports and pictures particularly.:)

We were up ridiculously early after arriving early the previous evening so went down to POFQ food court at 7:15. Unsurprisingly it was pretty empty and we decided on a Mickey waffle with berries to share. It was good, hot and fresh and the berries were ripe and tangy.

POFQ_waffle.jpg

We headed to Animal Kingdom for rope drop and after a morning of rides and shows we decided to grab lunch. Animal Kingdom has limited options now with tusker house being closed, and for a vegetarian flame tree wasn't really an option. Therefore we headed to Pizzafari around 11:45, the place was already pretty busy but we managed to order and find a table. We split a Cheese Pizza and an Apple pie. The pizza was standard disney pizza and the apple pie was actually better than I was expecting, pastry was nice and filling had a nice mix of apple and cinnamon flavour.

Pizzafari.jpg

I kind of forgot to take the picture until we'd almost finished the pizza, but you can see the apple pie!

I'll put spoodles in the next post as this is the first time I've tried posting pictures and I want to make sure it worked ok!

Can't wait to hear about the F&W Festival. I'll be up there in a few weeks to sample it myself.

I'm subscribing!!! Can't wait to see the pics and read your reviews!

Looking forward to the TS reviews! You have a few down there which we're thinking of doing next year :teeth:

Glad you also liked POFQ as that's the one we've chosen to stay at next year!

I picked spoodles because there was a variety of vegetarian appetisers for DH and I really like tapas style food. We arrived about 15 minutes before our ADR and were seated at our reservation time, this was one of the only restaurants I seen that were accepting walkups.

We ordered a pitcher of sangria to share which was really good, not too strong but there was probably too much of it for two.
Sp_sangria.jpg

I ordered the mediteranian dips, I really enjoyed this. The houmous was really good, as was the tzatziki and the feta cheese style dip. There was absolutely loads of bread and dip and didn't come anywhere an near eating it all.
Sp_dips.jpg

DH ordered the four cheese flatbread which he declared one of the best garlic breads he'd ever eaten.
sp_garlic.jpg

There was no vegetarian entree but our server said they had a gnocchi dish they normally made. Because this was a special dish there was quite a gap between our apps and entrees but that was fine with me as I like a leisurely meal. The gnocchi was actually very good, the dumplings were well cooked and the sauce had just the right amount of tomato and cheese. However it was an absolutely huge portion, and DH ate less than half.

I chose the Tuscan-pressed Cornish Game Hen which was just ok. The chicken was moist and the potatoes were quite good but the sauce was really thin and not exceptionally tasty. However I was full from the appetiser so I was actually quite glad this wasn't great, it meant I didn't stuff myself.
sp_mains.jpg

For dessert we ordered the sampler platter, which had chocolate apricot cake (rich and not dry at all, just the right amount of apricot filling), almond gelato (pretty bland), chocolate orange cake (too much orange and too little chocolate for me) and crem brulee (nice classic brulee).
sp_desert.jpg

Overall I enjoyed this meal, service was good, ambiance of the restaurant was noisy but the tables were nicely spaced out so we weren't right on top of our neighbour as we were at other restaurants. I'd rate it as 3.5/5.

Thanks for your comments so far.

Chobie- I really enjoyed the f&w festival, all the samples we tried were pretty good, and we did quite a few wine seminars as well which were really informative and enjoyable. Hope you enjoy it as much when you go. In case I don't get round to that part of my review before you leave our favourites were the escargot and the tomatican manchego from Argentina.

Today was our epcot day and we skipped breakfast in order to make rope drop, (jet lag was catching up with me a bit today). Mid morning we were starving so on the way to Soarin we grabbed a Cheese danish from Sunshine Seasons with a snack credit.

SS_danish.jpg

Again I forgot to take a pic before I started eating, but it was a pretty good danish.

We then headed over to world showcase for lunch. I think Tangerine cafe has one of the best counterservice vegetarian options out of all of the parks, so we grabbed a vegetarian platter and baklava to split. I really enjoyed this, the houmous was nice and creamy, the tabouleh was fruity and tasty. The green salad was kind of strange, with a vinegary dressing but still good. I don't like olives so DH ate all of them. The baklava was tasty and sticky and all in all a really satisfying lunch.

tang1stvisit.jpg

Tonight we had an 8pm ADR at Capt'n'Jacks. When we arrived it was very busy and they were turning away all walk ups. We were seated within about 15 minutes and got a nice window table. First impression of the restaurant is it was very loud, with lots of very young children dining.

For appetisers I ordered the crab cakes. I really enjoyed these, there was just the right amount of breading, the crab was tasty and the slaw it was served on was very fruity.
CJ_crab.jpg

DH ordered Spinach & Artichoke Dip served with tortilla chips, this was a big portion with loads of chips but he enjoyed it and said the dip wasn't too strong tasting.
CJ_dip.jpg

For my main I ordered Salmon Shank" - with caper-white wine sauce. It honestly wasn't very good at all. The salmon was so overcooked, it tasted like frozen salmon which had been cooked in a microwave, the rice was fine and the beans were just ok. I ate the rice and beans and a little salmon.
CJ_salmon.jpg

DH ordered Penne Pasta Alfredo, this was a much more reasonable portion than yesterday but not as tasty. Pasta was slightly undercooked and it seemed like it had been left under a heat lamp for a while, the sauce was good though.
CJ_pasta.jpg

For dessert I had White Chocolate and rasperry cheesecake, there was only a faint taste of chocolate but the rasperry swirls were nice and tangy.
CJ_cheesecake.jpg

DH ordered the double chocolate cake, it was served cold but it was a nice moist chocolate cake, good dessert.
CJ_choc.jpg

Overall the experience was decidedly average, service was really good and the crab cakes were fantastic but the rest of the meal was below par, so I'd rate it as 2.5/5.

Me too...wow 21 days!! I am interested to see if there was a day when you said "We have to eat *again??". We were there 10 days last year and hit that wall about day 6!

21 days and all that food.
I would be so scared:scared1: to weigh myself.
So looking forward to reading all your reviews,:coffee:

Love the reviews, great pics too. Can't wait to see more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter