• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Food and Wine..and a kid?

Capang

DIS Veteran
Our flight got changed and it looks like we will have a whole day free for a park. We would like to avoid HS, we have a MK day for a party, and we want to end at AK. Is Food and wine appropriate for a 6 year old? Are there things to do for kids? It would be a Thursday, if that matters. I know she'd enjoy the rides and maybe some of the food. Just wasn't sure if I should be bringing a child there would be a good idea. Thanks!

My kids and I inadvertently stumbled into F&W when my youngest was about 6. Both of my boys ended up loving it! Kids (or adults) can get a "passport" that they can fill with stickers when they try a food from a different country. I added in an incentive of 25 cents for every new food they would try, and they were then game for just about everything! On the weekends (especially evenings) you do run into people who have been a bit "overserved," but that's definitely the exception and wouldn't keep me away with kids. Seeing as you'll be going on a Thursday, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

My kids and I inadvertently stumbled into F&W when my youngest was about 6. Both of my boys ended up loving it! Kids (or adults) can get a "passport" that they can fill with stickers when they try a food from a different country. I added in an incentive of 25 cents for every new food they would try, and they were then game for just about everything! On the weekends (especially evenings) you do run into people who have been a bit "overserved," but that's definitely the exception and wouldn't keep me away with kids. Seeing as you'll be going on a Thursday, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Thanks for the info! I am really looking forward to this!

The size of the food tastings is the perfect size for kids! Not much to "do" beyond eating though.

No one looks at a kid at the Food & Wine like it has a green head - or the parents either. It's just a addition of kiosks around World Showcase (and some in Future World) that sell food, wine and beer. Drinks are limited to two to one adult (ID should be had on person). It's not like the Festival is going in and getting drunk by everyone and a Thursday night is a fine time to relax and enjoy. It's more of an expanded World Showcase in opportunities to enjoy their countries' selections. Will you see some that have over "self medicated"? You might but it won't be any different than any other night at World Showcase.

We attend F&W a few years ago with my son who was 7 and daughter who was 5. My 7yo LOVED it and was willing to eat anything we bought (which enabled us to try more things). The 5yo is a picky eater and hated it. We are going again this year during F&W because my son, now 10, specifically requested to go to F&W. We are going to try doing the passport activity to make it more interesting for her this time, since she is still a picky eater and won't eat anything but a hot dog from Germany.

Always bring my son and they're are plenty of kids there. He's a picky eater but I found a couple of things he enjoyed. Plus he loved the Ratatouille hide and squeak. He ran around searching for Remy and I drank. Win-Win !

There is nothing kid-unfriendly about F&W. It's just kiosks set up along the way. You will be fine! Enjoy..

We have been bringing my kid since he was 6. I let him do a lot of the planning now, and he plans a day for food and wine. He is a really picky eater, but he likes the waffles and sweets.

I would also suggest there are 2 great kid activities for kids. Coloring - getting stamps on the bears (and is some worlds they write the name in the countries language). We have at least 5 bears at home, but every year he looks forward to that (and it is free). The other is the Ratatouille hunt (unique to food and wine). You get a map and stickers and have to find Remy in different places and match the ingredient on the map. My kid LOVES it. I think it cost around $12 and when you are done you show the map and they get a food and wine pin. So basically we walk around try different food/drinks (the adult fun), and then spend a few minutes at each world while he finds Remy and gets his bear stamped. It is great walking around with some food and or drink while he searches all over for Remy.

My kids were 6 and 7 last time they went during F&W. They didn't eat the food but they enjoyed getting snacks they liked from various countries (cronuts, "Japan icees" as my DD calls them). They liked browsing in the stores and really enjoyed doing the Agent P adventure. You would have to take about 30 minutes out of your festival time to do it but I think it's worth it.

My DD LOVED the chocolate booth when she was 7.....

come to think of it, it was my favorite too!

Do the Kidcot stops in every country, watch the jugglers, drummers, gymnasts, etc. as you walk around. YES it's definitely kid friendly, it's EPCOT, not a dive bar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter