Follow me to the Boardwalk! 10/23 - 11/7 UPDATED 4/13 BEACHES & CREAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a little hesitant about trying this one, as the idea of eating an animal's tongue wasn't really appealing. :p But I have met Chef Phillip before, as he is a friend of a friend, so I felt like I should give it a chance. I was pleasantly surprised that it was pretty good.
It looks really good. I once had beef tongue without knowing what it was until after I had eaten it. The meat was tender and flavorful. It is just the mental picture that is hard to take.

The 4th and last station in Section 4 was hosted by the chefs (Al Youngman and Mike Reitzler) from the soon-to-open restaurant at Magic Kingdom, The Jungle Navigation Co Ltd Skipper Canteen.
We will be at the WL next month and hope to get an ADR at this new restaurant, even though I have no idea what will be on the menu.

This was Crema Catalana, which is the Spanish version of the French dessert, Creme Brulee. Being a lover of creme brulee, I really enjoyed this.
This is the prettiest dessert of all.

Did you find that you had more favorites last year? It seemed to me that there were more items that appealed to me from your 2014 PFTS report, although I could be confusing that with the 2014 Swan and Dolphin event, which looked good, too.

I've been used to having tongue ever since I was a child, and even had some at a kosher deli last week. But I do remember the first time I saw it being sliced at the butcher, and a light went on over my head: "Oh, that's why they call it tongue!"

Wow, thanks for the detailed reviews, this is very interesting to me because I travel with a teenage girl and there is no way I would ever be able to do this. Let alone, have fancy or signature dining at Disney, so very enjoyable to read your reviews and check out the great pictures.

I here ya! Before I started taking solo trips I usually had one or more picky teenagers with me. Now my youngest is almost 20 and he is slowly getting better. His older sisters are much more adventurous than they used to be. The oldest one is probably more adventurous than me! :laughing: So anyway, maybe someday you will get to do the fancy dining. :thumbsup2

I love your review of the party! Your pictures are beautiful and your reviews are great!

Thank you so much, glad you enjoyed it! :goodvibes

That party food looks & sounds incredible! And great strategy to be able to try so many without filling up too soon. Love all of the pics & descriptions!

Thanks, it was definitely one of the highlights of my trip!

Great review of the Party! Debating whether to try to go when DH and I go to F&W next week. Some of the food was a bit exotic for me! Not sure I would have tried the tongue!

And I have to say that the only reason I would really go to Tony's is the zucchini fries and crème brulee. I agree it doesn't really taste like pistachio but I really like it anyway.

Looking forward to more!

I would recommend that you and Jay give it try, but only if you can get the Reserved seating. It was much more enjoyable that way then General Admission. And yes, whenever I do return to Tony's I might just get the zucchini fries and creme brulee. ;)

So much food! I would need fast all day lol.

The dessert especially look great. I really like how they feature cuisine from all Disney resorts around the world. My dream is eventually travel to all the Disney resorts so this would be a nice sneak peak.

I too would love to visit the Disney parks in Paris, Hong Kong, and Tokyo but this was probably as close as I will get to them. :laughing:

Excellent review! I would tour the party exactly as you did as it really seemed like the perfect venue to try new-to-you dishes. Hopefully they'll continue this for the next few years, I'd love to try this party.

Yes, this was the second year that they had the PFTS hosted by Disney Chefs. I also attended last year's and enjoyed it but was a General Admission guest. This time with a reserved table was much better. So I'm hoping that they offer this again next year and that they don't increase the price.

Wow, Barb! Great reviews. Thanks so much for stopping to take so many pictures (think of how much more you could have tried if you weren't)!

Stopping to take pictures was probably a good thing. :laughing:

Love the cartoon - so true for people like us - over the past few years though I think that our numbers have grown significantly ! It took a few trips, but my husband has been fully trained, on WDW trips and cruises !
:rolleyes1
Five years ago my family refused to allow me to take photos of their food on our Disney trip. Fast forward 5 years and they now volunteer to take photos of their food. They even compete against each other as to who can take the best photos! ;)

Great reviews :)

Thanks for reading! :thumbsup2

Did you find that you had more favorites last year? It seemed to me that there were more items that appealed to me from your 2014 PFTS report, although I could be confusing that with the 2014 Swan and Dolphin event, which looked good, too.

Last year I didn't get to try nearly as many things at the PFTS featuring Disney chefs. So I pretty much stuck to the normal things that I was pretty sure I would like, such as lamb, fish taco, scallop, and several desserts. Therefore I can't really compare these two parties because I really didn't try that much last year. At the second PFTS I attended in 2014 I did try several more things (probably about the same number as this year), and I think the only thing that was unusual was the Veal Sweetbread Saltimbocca. However, overall I would have to say that this year's Disney chef party was better foodwise than last year's regular PFTS.

I've been used to having tongue ever since I was a child, and even had some at a kosher deli last week. But I do remember the first time I saw it being sliced at the butcher, and a light went on over my head: "Oh, that's why they call it tongue!"

I remember giving my mother a hard time for eating such things, as she grew up in a household where no part of any animal or bird that was edible was wasted. I haven't told her yet that I paid $199 to attend a party where they served things like tongue and that I actually enjoyed most of them. I guess I don't want her to have the last laugh. :laughing:

The Party for the Senses looks AWESOME! So many things that I would not regularly eat but it's so nice that you have the chance to experience so many different types of cuisine while you're there. The price tag steered me away from it but after reading your reviews, I think it would be a worthwhile experience.

Yes, this was the second year that they had the PFTS hosted by Disney Chefs. I also attended last year's and enjoyed it but was a General Admission guest. This time with a reserved table was much better. So I'm hoping that they offer this again next year and that they don't increase the price.

The reserved seating definitely seems worth it and I would most likely only do it with a reserved seat. Disney not going up in price?!! :eek: Now THAT would be a wish come true! Everybody start looking at their stars, on your mark, get set, WISH: No inflation, no inflation, no inflation :rotfl:

The Party for the Senses looks AWESOME! So many things that I would not regularly eat but it's so nice that you have the chance to experience so many different types of cuisine while you're there. The price tag steered me away from it but after reading your reviews, I think it would be a worthwhile experience.

Yes, at $199 I thought it was worth it for unlimited wine and food plus entertainment (besides La Nouba there was also an awesome band that performed throughout most of the night). However, if they bump up the price next year to over the $200 mark, I will need to think hard about this one before booking it again.

The reserved seating definitely seems worth it and I would most likely only do it with a reserved seat. Disney not going up in price?!! :eek: Now THAT would be a wish come true! Everybody start looking at their stars, on your mark, get set, WISH: No inflation, no inflation, no inflation :rotfl:

You are soooo right! :thumbsup2

On Sunday morning, October 25th I walked around the lake and over to the Yacht Club to meet up with two ladies from the DIS for breakfast at...

The first of these ladies, Sue (Wood Nymph), I had had the privilege of meeting once before but only briefly, as she and her DH had a ME bus to catch to the airport. So I was very happy that we were again going to be at Disney World at the same time and were able to actually have a meal together. The second lady who dined with us was one that I had known for quite some time here on the DIS boards but had never met in person. So when I discovered that for the first time ever our trips would overlap by just a couple of days, I was thrilled that I would finally have the opportunity to meet Jill (jedijill).

Now on to the food, starting with the menu. I apologize though that this is not actually the menu from this visit to Captain's Grille. At this breakfast I was a little distracted by the great company and completely forgot to take a photo of the menu. Realizing this later in our meal, I decided it was no big deal because I would be back here for breakfast just 5 days later. Well, guess what? That breakfast was also a DIS meet and again I forgot to take a photo of the menu! And believe it or not I actually had one more chance to fulfill my dining review duties and failed because I was back at Captain's Grille the following day for lunch with my husband. But at least this time I remembered to photograph the lunch menu. ;)

So anyway, the following menu photo was actually taken during my last breakfast here in May 2015.

And so yes, I broke my rule and dined at a restaurant which I had just been to on my last WDW trip...and not just once, but twice on this trip. This was actually my third time having breakfast at Captain's Grille in the last 1 1/2 years. :guilty: My first ever visit to this restaurant was in May 2014 and was also a DIS meet. Though my four dining companions all chose the buffet, I wasn't feeling that hungry so ordered the Tailored Omelet served with Savory Hash Browns and a Biscuit...

This was fine but I was quite envious when the four of them returned to our table from the buffet with plates of delicious-looking breakfast food. So I vowed that on my next trip I would return to Captain's Grille and have the buffet. Well, that didn't happen because on my next trip in October 2014 I was able to get a breakfast ADR at Cape May Cafe so went there instead. Then by May 2015 I had heard about their Lemon-Ricotta Hotcakes with Blueberry Compote and couldn't resist ordering them when I had breakfast here.

These were very good! Even though I'm not a big fan of lemon curd, I still enjoyed these. However I still had the CG breakfast buffet on my bucket list to try, plus I had spotted two other things on their menu that sounded interesting. The first of these was the Citrus-scented French Toast and the other was the Lobster Omelet. So I scheduled two breakfast ADRs at Captain's Grille for this trip and figured I would decide which two of the three (buffet, french toast, or lobster omelet) I would get based on what I was hungry for at the time. At this first breakfast I was feeling the....

Citrus-scented French Toast made with Challah Bread and topped with Lavender-infused Strawberry Compote and White Chocolate Ganache

This was fine but not as good as their Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes (which btw is what Jill ordered :thumbsup2), and not even close to the delicious Maple-Vanilla French Toast that is served at the Grand Floridian Cafe.

The French Toast came with a side of bacon or sausage. I chose bacon...

This was actually pretty good bacon. Well-cooked, not undercooked and limp and not overcooked and burned to a crisp. :thumbsup2

Sue went with the buffet and I learned from her that you could special order some items (such as the gluten-free Mickey waffles that she got) and weren't just limited to those items offered on the buffet line. This knowledge helped me to make my choice on my next visit to Captain's Grille. ;)

Following our breakfast, we said our goodbyes to Sue and then Jill and I caught the boat to Hollywood Studios. I was planning to spend the day there and Jill was going there on a mission. This was the last day of her trip (she was to fly home that afternoon) and she still had to go to DHS and Magic Kingdom in order to complete her collection of Starbucks "You are Here" mugs. So I went with her to Starbucks at DHS and ended up also purchasing my first mug...

I found out from Jill that I could get a 10% Annual Passholder discount on the mugs, which ended up saving me quite a bit of money because I of course ended getting the other three mugs. :laughing: While I'm not really a fan of Starbucks, my oldest daughter is a big fan so I plan to give her this collection. I gave her the Epcot one for her birthday last month and she loved it!

After Starbucks Jill and I said our goodbyes, as I had a FP+ to get to and I think she was off to Magic Kingdom for that last mug.

So even though my french toast was nothing to write home about, having breakfast with these two great DIS ladies more than made up for it. I sincerely hope that our trips coincide again sometime in the future! :goodvibes

Next up: Meet Me at the Derby!

Looks like a great breakfast. I will eat there one of these days.

I really like the starbucks mugs. When I am there in January I will probably get at least one if not all of them.

I really enjoyed having breakfast with you and Jill. It seemed like we spent more time talking than eating. ;) I hope we can meet at WDW again. :)

Yay another DR Barb! Just joined you on instagram:simba:

Glad to have you here Maura! And thanks for following on IG too. :goodvibes

I really like the starbucks mugs. When I am there in January I will probably get at least one if not all of them.

Yes, I hadn't really paid much attention to these mugs before but when I tagged along with Jill and saw one in person I thought these would be a perfect gift for my daughter. :thumbsup2

I really enjoyed having breakfast with you and Jill. It seemed like we spent more time talking than eating. ;) I hope we can meet at WDW again. :)

The great company at this breakfast might have had something to do with my lack of interest in the french toast. ;) Anyway, I hope to see you again next year Sue! :goodvibes

MEET ME AT THE DERBY

After spending the rest of the morning at DHS, it was time to check in for my lunch at...

After a short wait I was seated at a table in the upper tier of the restaurant and presented with this menu...

I had dined at the Brown Derby fairly recently (May 2014) so this was another rule breaker meal. But in my defense, I had tried for quite awhile to get an ADR at Mama Melrose (a restaurant I hadn't been to for many years). For some reason though I was unable to get a lunch reservation on any open day during my 2 week trip. I had no idea that this restaurant was that popular. :confused3 But anyway, since I had dined at 50's Prime Time on my last trip (May 2015), I was having breakfast at Sci-Fi, and I didn't really want to eat at Hollywood & Vine, that left me breaking my rule yet again and returning to the Brown Derby. So I therefore needed to at least order something different than what I had had in May 2014, which was the appetizer portion of the HBD Cobb salad...

Then for my entree I enjoyed the Fettuccine Alfredo with Shrimp...

And for my mini-dessert trio I chose the Amaretto Flan topped with Opalys White Chocolate Whip and an Almond Cookie, Banana Toffee Cake on Cocoa Crunch and Strawberry Banana Pearls, and the Brown Derby Original! Mini Grapefruit Cake. I was also given a complimentary Chocolate Sphere with Hazelnut Praline Chocolate and Orange-White Chocolate Mousse for my birthday...

The only one of these that I really liked was the Banana Toffee Cake, the rest were just okay.

So this time I ordered this for my appetizer...

Appetizer portion of the Cobb Salad made with finely chopped greens, turkey breast, bacon, egg, tomatoes, crumbled bleu cheese, avocado, chives, and Cobb dressing. - $9.00

Yes, I had to get the same appetizer as last time because I love the HBD's Cobb salad. This was delicious once again and the price had even remained unchanged in the last 1 1/2 years! :thumbsup2

The Cobb salad was actually brought to my table unmixed, so looking like this...

Also, I was brought a basket containing three rolls and whipped butter topped with Hawaiian sea salt and sprigs of ( I believe) thyme which were very good.

I did though order something different this time for my entree. There were actually two of the special lunch entrees (listed in the enclosed box under the Entree section of the menu) that I was interested in. The first was the Andouille-crusted Chicken Breast Sandwich. However, as I was looking over the menu my server delivered the chicken sandwich to the lady seated at the table next to me. While it looked good for eating, it didn't look all that great for photographing for my dining review (and to post on my Instagram account). :laughing:

Therefore, I decided to go with my other choice...

Grilled Wagyu Beef Burger with Gruyere Cheese, Pastrami, Heirloom Tomato, Avocado, Fried Egg, and Cognac-Mustard Aioli onToasted Brioche, served with Hand-cut Steak Fries - $22.00

And a look underneath the egg...

Now this was a beautiful sandwich!! But was this burger as good as it looked? :scratchin

Sadly, not really. :sad2: Due to it's massive size I had to cut it in half and remove a few of the toppings (tomato and lettuce, I believe) just so it would fit in my mouth. My next problem was that with the grease from the fried egg and pastrami this sandwich quickly became a sloppy mess. The bun fell apart almost immediately and I gave up trying to eat it like a sandwich and ate most of it with a knife and fork...which kind of took some of the fun out of eating a burger. :worried: So though the pastrami was tasty, I would probably suggest that they replace it with bacon for a less messy sandwich, one you could actually eat with your hands. :thumbsup2 Oh, and the steak fries were not very good, in case you were wondering.

But things got better with dessert.

This time I chose the two desserts which I didn't try before plus my favorite one from last time. So here was my mini-dessert trio...

From left to right: Warm Blueberry Cobbler with Creme Fraiche and Orange Blossom Honey, Double Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee, and Banana Toffee Cake on Cocoa Crunch and topped with Strawberry-Banana Pearls

These were all very good. The cobbler was filled with a ton of plump, juicy blueberries...

But my favorite was once again the banana toffee cake...

Whenever I do return to the Brown Derby, if these three desserts are still available I would choose them again. :thumbsup2

So my lunch at the Hollywood Brown Derby started and ended well. The in- between part was a little disappointing but at least I got some pretty good photos! :laughing:

Next up: Dinner at California Grill

Another place I have never been. The burger looks good. That's disappointing it's not as good as it looks. Glad the desserts were better.

All caught up! The Party for the Senses looked amazing and you had a great game plan! I would think it would take a year or 2 to figure out the best way to try a lot of the things without getting too full.
I love the Starbucks mugs! I actually have a friend there now that I sent money with so she could try to get me the holiday mug.
Captains's Grill looked great and I love the HBD cobb salad, yum! Sorry the burger was such a sloppy mess. How was the service there? I have read some not so great things about it lately.

We are planning lunch at HBD in January mostly because of the cobb salad. And I was lucky enough to reserve the Dine with an Imagineer for Andrew and I in March. :banana: I really loved the DwaI lunch in August. DH and I had planned on sharing both the burger and the chicken sandwich. May have to rethink although I do love me an egg topped burger! ::yes:: Maybe if I go in knowing I will have to eat it with a knife and fork!

Whatever we choose for lunch, those desserts look great. The one thing you missed is the martini flight! I'll be sure to have one for ya! :p

I've wanted to try that famous HBD cobb salad forever, but I booked MM for the F! package [which is why I booked it,never got the F! package.I hope it's worth it] Might have to switch-again!:rotfl:

I absolutely love Cobb salad, so the HBD's is on my list to try someday. Always looks delicious. I'm sad to hear your burger wasn't as good as you'd hoped - I have seen a few people post pictures of it before and it always looks so delicious. The dessert looks like it made up for it though. ;)

Another place I have never been. The burger looks good. That's disappointing it's not as good as it looks. Glad the desserts were better.

My first choice for lunch at DHS is still 50's Prime Time Cafe, but the Hollywood Brown Derby is a solid second choice. :thumbsup2

All caught up! The Party for the Senses looked amazing and you had a great game plan! I would think it would take a year or 2 to figure out the best way to try a lot of the things without getting too full.
I love the Starbucks mugs! I actually have a friend there now that I sent money with so she could try to get me the holiday mug.
Captains's Grill looked great and I love the HBD cobb salad, yum! Sorry the burger was such a sloppy mess. How was the service there? I have read some not so great things about it lately.

The service was good. No issues here that I recall. :thumbsup2

We are planning lunch at HBD in January mostly because of the cobb salad. And I was lucky enough to reserve the Dine with an Imagineer for Andrew and I in March. :banana: I really loved the DwaI lunch in August. DH and I had planned on sharing both the burger and the chicken sandwich. May have to rethink although I do love me an egg topped burger! ::yes:: Maybe if I go in knowing I will have to eat it with a knife and fork!

Whatever we choose for lunch, those desserts look great. The one thing you missed is the martini flight! I'll be sure to have one for ya! :p

Ahh yes, I remember that you are a fan of HBD's martini flight! ::yes:: I'm not a fan of martinis but I might have to try their margarita flight sometime. ;)

I've wanted to try that famous HBD cobb salad forever, but I booked MM for the F! package [which is why I booked it,never got the F! package.I hope it's worth it] Might have to switch-again!:rotfl:

I can't really comment on Mama Melrose since I haven't been for many years. I tried to get an ADR there on this trip but for some reason had no luck. But whichever one you choose, I hope you have a great meal! :thumbsup2

I absolutely love Cobb salad, so the HBD's is on my list to try someday. Always looks delicious. I'm sad to hear your burger wasn't as good as you'd hoped - I have seen a few people post pictures of it before and it always looks so delicious. The dessert looks like it made up for it though. ;)

Yes, between the salad and the dessert trio, I left the HBD quite satisfied. :thumbsup2

Such great reviews! Thank you for sharing. :flower1:

Thank you and thanks for reading! :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter