Flying with a 4 Year Old

My son was 4 last year for his first trip. We did not bring a car seat--no need really. We made sure we had downloaded movies on my ipad and brought that with headphones. That occupied a good 1 1/2 hrs. Then I had packed all kids of fun little new things in his backpack to explore (Target $ spot, $ store, etc.). We also made sure he had his lovey with him at all times. We also packed a good amount of snacks and drinks. I also ran off a bunch of coloring pages and activity sheets and had them bound into activity books for the kids, which they enjoyed. I was nervous, but he really did great on the plane. Good luck!

We always take new books the kids haven't read. Also we Download lots of episodes into the Nick Jr. App. Bring some snacks and a couple of crayons. Our kids have done fine with this when they were much younger. Now it will be our first 10 h flight. Hopefully that will work just as well

Somewhat OT, but my DD came in this morning at 6am asking what day it was. When I told her it was Wednesday (as I told her last night it would be), she wailed, "I want it to be Thursday!!! I WISH it was tomorrow already!!!"

We didn't use any kind of seat for our 4 year old. We had him and our 6 year old fly for the first time last summer. They each had their blankie and one stuffed animal we allowed them to carry on. DD6 chickened out at sitting by the window but DS4 jumped on it. We had the kindle, their leappads and other activities.
When we were landing, every time the plane would bank, DS - with his arms out - would make play airplane side affects and had everyone laughing around us as he kept yelling "weeee this is fun!". They did a lot better than I expected and it went a lot smoother than our normal 18-20 hour car ride!

Goodness! Such good advice! THanks, everyone! (In case anyone lost track, I was the OP.) After reading responses last night I talked her through what going to an airport would be like, that was genius. It also made me realize that I hadn't yet stressed the importance of getting ready "Super Quick Style" when tell her it's Disney World Day. (Our flight takes off at 5:20 am!) I kinda hope she snoozes a bit on the plane! I doubt it, though. I think she'll be too excited.

I definitely think I'll just leave the carseat lie. She's about 45 inches tall, so we're good.

A guy at work today gave me cool advice I'll throw out for others, too: he's a sailor in the US Navy, and he's moved 3 times across the country from changing stations. He said he taught his son all the presidents, states and their capitals, and just built on it over time in the car over the years. He said now he can say a president and his son will say what years they held the office!

I would not do the Dramamine... I took the kid's version myself this past Christmas on our return flight from NYC, because I got motion sick on the outgoing flight (it was a little plane). I was knocked out for 14 hours! (but I am a small person- less than 5' tall) It was only a 1 &1/2 hour flight. I could barely rouse myself to get off the plane and into the car (thank god I wasn't driving). I couldn't even wake up enough to eat. It was crazy!

My kiddo is 4 and has flown a few times. The first couple of times when she was a baby. I'm lucky because she has always done well so far and seems to love it. She is not afraid of take off like I am- she says 'weeeee! go faster!' LOL.
I held her in my lap as a baby (during which she charmed ALL of the business men who were initially not happy to see us get on the plane. They were eating out of her hand by the end:love: :rolleyes1)and then this last flight she was about 38" tall and 32 lbs so she just rode in the seat like a grown up (which she loved). I just couldn't deal with carrying the car seat, carry ons, and wrangling her all alone. She did just fine. I hope our Disney flight in summer goes well. I think your 4 year old will do great without a car seat.

I will pack her back pack full of new activity books (all Disney themed) that she isn't allowed to open until we get through security- Imagine ink, color wonder coloring books, a puzzle book (the puzzles stay contained in the book so no lost pieces), reading books, magnetic dress up dolls, and her nobi (if I can ever find the charger) with headphones (I just bought Kidz gear- I hear they are great for planes- cancel out the engine noise and volume can be adjusted by mom to avoid her blowing out her eardrums! :rockband:). I found most of it at target and some on Amazon.

My kiddo doesn't like candy (weird kid, right?!) so I take crackers for her to munch and try to teach her about equalizing her ears (so far, it has not been an issue.)

Some TSA security lines don't seem to make kids take off their shoes so you may luck out. I'm having us both wear slip ons just in case.

Right 12 and under keep their shoes on across the board. Changed a few years ago. I think the last flight my daughter had to take off her shoes was 2010. I on the other hand sometimes fly in my crocs. Super easy.

Interesting. On the way out, she didn't have to take her shoes off but on the way back (in NYC airport) she did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter