flying first class with a 8 month old....

kseely

WELCOME! to the china club!
what do you all think of this... we have accumulated enough miles to fly 1st class both to & from orlando...our 8 m.o will be sitting in my lap, but i did not think the airlines allowed kids in 1st class, i was told it is fine...i am worried about the other passengers in 1st class godforbid something happens if my son acts up or starts to cry!!!believe it or not, these are the ONLY seats left for the flight from nj to orlando, but i feel weird about taking them with a baby? anyone else ever fly 1st class w/ a baby? and what kinds of looks/comments did you get from the other passengers???

As long as you tend to your baby in first it should be a problem. The problem in first is parents that let their kids bang the seats, run up and down the aisles, scream and cry.

If your baby is well behaved then it shouldn't be a problem. No one can stop you from sitting in first but try to keep the baby quiet if it starts to fuss.

I've flown several times with my son since he was about a year old and I don't think I'd feel comfortable in first class generally as it seems to be mostly male and mostly business travelers trying to work. You might be more comfortable in coach if the plane had seats! Of course it sounds like you are "stuck" with 1st class if that is all that is left. Bring along things your child likes - we found things like crackers to help - even if they end up feeding them to you for an hour! Ugh! LOL!

Don't get me wrong...you have every right to any seat in the plane. Just thinking that it is no fun to start out a vacation being all tense should your child have a bad flight and the people around you are not nice :( Guess the flight attendants could probably find someone to switch seats with you inflight (if they allow that) should your child be fussy. Wish I could think of more options for you! Food, toys, books!

How happy will your 8 month old really be in your lap for 2 1/2 + hours? If he is a wiggler who doesn't like to be held, you're going to have problems, and regardless of WHERE you sit on the plane, are going to seriously annoy other passengers.

If you've got a quiet and easily amused child then it shouldn't matter where you sit.

If your child acts up, is allowed to kick the seat, etc, you're going to get nasty looks regardless of where you're seated, although you'll probably get more sympathy from other parents in coach than you will in first. The upside to first is that the FA's will be more willing generally to provide you with basic assistance such as offering extra juice or snacks.

I'm a big advocate of buying a ticket for children in car seats. It's for their own safety as wella s the safety of other passengers. During turbulence a lap baby can become a projectile.

Most children know that when they are in their car seat they are limited and by eight months are generally content in the seat, making for a more relaxing ride for them and you. Most kids will nap in the car seat, but many less will nap in your lap.

What will you do with your lap baby if there is bad weather or something that keeps you circling for an extra hour or two? Will your child be happy on your lap that entire time?

Have you looked into other flights? There are so many carriers that operate from AC and PHL into MCO that I have a hard time believing you can't find a flight...and for the points you're using for first you could probably get the needed ticket for a seat for your child in coach and still have some leftover.

Anne

we flew business class London to New York a few years ago, and there was a toddler in there. He was fine, there was so much more space and his parents could get up and move around easily so it was a lot more relaxing for them, and he didn't get stressed. Also, there was no way he could have kicked a seat back, they were too far away.

Personally, I think you are welcome to take whatever seats you want, you are paying for the seats and are completley within your rights to sit in them

Bev

typing one handed...

we have done it twice...once when dd was 6 months and once at 13 months. doing it again when she will be 22 months. it is no problem. you have every right to fly fc if you want. it is challenging to fly with a lap child anywhere on the plane. dd is a good flyer but one part of our last trip she wasn't feeling well, and was fussy from MSP-SEA. we got a couple of looks, and at the end of the flight, i realized that they lady who kept shooting me nasty looks had a DOG in her purse! yeesh, ok for her to have a dog in fc, but not ok for me to have a child. whatever.

one leg of the flight from DTW-MCO, there were two boys about 7 years old flying fc, and they were making a huge mess, kicking seats, throwing food...they were much more badly behaved-if they were mine, i would have been really emabarrassed.

on her first trip, when we stood up to exit, a woman commented to me that she wouldn't have known dd was on the flight because she was so quiet.

unfortunately, i think the most looks i got were because i was nursing on the plane! on several trips, i would get looks when i popped out the boob-doesn't bother me! i would rather someone get a flash of skin than have to listen to a baby cry because her ears hurt.

I wouldn't worry about it since most people sitting in 1st class these days either received an upgrade or are using points like you. In this economy few businesses are spending the money on 1st class tickets. Those seats are also very large so you should have plently of room.

We're flying 1st class to CA in Dec using miles, although DD(almost 4) will have her own seat.

As an aside, I would recommend getting a flight vest for a lap baby. They are a god send in the event of turbulence. Here's a link: http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.js...RODUCT&iMainCat=117&iSubCat=15&iProductID=323

As Bev mentioned Virgin ...

VA is the only airline I know of that actually bans babies from FC, or actually "Upper Class" as it is known on VA. The ban only applies on the upper deck of double-decker aircraft.

Well, we are flying first class (courtesy of mom's freq flyer miles) w/ our (then) 14 mo DD, and I never even THOUGHT of it annoying the other first class passengers. Heck, if you are in first class and there is a baby screaming in coach you can still hear it... and at least you have the nice comfy seats in first class...

Personally, I'm not going to worry about it.

Go and enjoy yourself. We took our son twice to FLA in FC from NY. Upgraded same as you...and I agree that most of the other people in FC probably upgraded too. There's much more room so its easier to hold a baby. Bring some new toys/books, etc. so your baby will be interested. I even asked for several blankets and pillows, laid them on the floor and my son had fun playing on them - like his own cave down there. But that was when he was 18 mo., yours would be too young. And of course this was when there was no turbulence at all. After each of our 4 flights, other FC passengers either said they didn't even know we had a baby or that he was so quiet. Have fun, don't worry about it. If anyone complains, tell them if they wanted a silent flight, they should have rented their own plane!

Regarding the Vest...we are flying with our baby soon and I was just reading on AA or Delta's site that the vest's are not allowed and they are not FAA approved (despite what people tell you). So check your airline before you spend money on something that you can;t use.

I never would think that a chid wouldn't be welcome in first class - what do famous people who fly first class do with their children? If you are paying for the seat it shouldn't matter who is in it. I would however suggest buying a seat for your child. We did & I am so glad - it is a long time to be on a plan holding a baby - arms get tired, kids get tired, squirming, sleeping, trying to eat something. We brought the girls' carseats right on board and strapped them into their seats and I think it made it easier for them because they just felt that they were in a big car. IMHO Good luck!

i feel better know knowing others have done it, and i'm sure most people have been upgraded from miles, like us...my son has always been quiet, and entertains himself rather nicely-i live at the beach, and he is there 3-4 times a week, and very often other beach goers sitting nearby have come up and remarked on how well behaved and quiet he was for the whole day...and he does sit very well on my lap while i have parked my butt in my beachchair, so i am hoping the flight may be somewhat similar....i'll have all of the necessary things to get him through the flight, and i am certain he'll nap, he is a big sleeper and loves to sleep, anywhere, anytime! just fill his belly
& he's out like a light (typical little man!)
thank you for all of your comments!

Disnee Dad Says...........................Don't worry. You will do fine, careing about others says a lot about your character.
It's the one that cries and screams for hours, and the parent must be asleep, because he/ she does nothing, that is the problem.

If baby really starts to fuss, you can always take baby to the lavoratory. Sit on the pot, and wait. Less stimulation, the only wahh will be heard by you, everyone else is happy. With a little luck little dude will start pounding zzz's quickly.

I wish the world had more travellers like you !!

I just found this posted on another website. Just last week, a plane encountered major, unexpected turbulence and two flight attendants were seriously hurt. I'd hate to think of what would happen to a child in their parent's arms -- although I have definitely been guilty of that during my daughter's first flights. I imagine this only happens in very rare instances, but if you can find another flight with room for your child it would probably be preferable.

http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=34018

Anyways, I just saw this article after reading your post and it seemed relevant. I'm definitely not trying to be inflamatory. With the first few times I flew with my daughter, I always imagined that worst case scenerio was that we crashed. Not to seem jaded, I couldn't imagine what good a car seat would do and would rather have in my arms anyway. I never really thought about major turbulence -- since I've been lucky enough to never experience it! I now think I would bring a carseat for my kids.

Have a wonderful vacation,
Jennifer

I highly doubt if a child that small and young would be kicking the seat infront of you. Go and enjoy your trip in first class, you deserve it!

I don't want to fuel any fires but I don't understand how parents think holding a baby in their arms is safer than a car seat. It has been proven in cars that even in low speed crashes that the baby is torn out of the mothers arms. So I am sure it would be the same in the air. I just fly back this morning on a flight that was very turbulent. Glad I didn't have to try to hold on to a child on my lap.

I used to think holding child in lap was OK too - until we flew with DD at 18mos to Denver. We hit a bad bout of "clear air turbulence" - the stuff you get sometimes when approaching the mountains in clear weather. DD was sleeping at the time, but I was so scared as I could barely hold her. Actually DH and I linked arms, I bent over and held on. If the turbulence was any worse there was no way I could hold on! I cannot image what would have happened had she been awake and fussy!
The next trip to WDW - we purchased a seat, put her in the car seat and relaxed. We rec'd many comments about how well behaved she was, since she was so comfortable and familiar with her car seat.
I also worked for the airlines for many years (I should have known better) and heard many stories of people injurying themselves without seat belts on in rough air. I just wouldn't run the risk.
As far as your child in first class - I wouldn't worry about it - go ahead and enjoy, but think about using a car seat up there!

United prices a separate seat for kids up to 24 months at half of the adult's fare (including, I believe, for first class) for domestic flights. I think other airlines have similar discounts; international flights vary by destination.

It seems like people only mind babies on a plane if they cry. Parents are usually doing everything they can to avoid it but often the kid is going to cry anyway, especially if sensitive to pressure changes or the stale air in planes. People in first class do, to a minor degree, get more annoyed at crying babies but I always figured if it bothered them that much they should charter or purchase a jet. I get far more annoyed at adults who complain about something that can't be helped. Still it can be uncomfortable for the parents. I just don't see it as being much different than in coach. And my experience is that Orlando fliers are better about it than more business-oriented planes.

Artuero, my experience in first class shows that people get annoyed because parents don't do anything to try to keep their kids quiet.

I was on a flight where the kids were throwing things, beating up on each other, running down the aisle, crying, and the parents just continued talking with each other oblivous to it all. There have been other flights like this. I don't mind when you can see that the parents are doing all they can. But those are rare these days. Yes I have 3 kids so I do know how kids can act.

I had a full fare first class ticket, I hadn't been upgraded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter