Flight Seating Suggestions

emilita423

Earning My Ears
Hi all!
We are headed to Disney in May and it will be myself, DH, my son who will be 3 and my youngest son will be 14 months. We are flying and my question is what would be the best seating arrangement? We originally were going have my youngest be a lap infant but he is far too mobile even now at 8 months old I can't imagine keeping him still for a 2 hour flight. So I am thinking we will bring the car seat and buy a seat for him. But, how would we arrange it ? I know he will need to be by the window right?

Thanks!!!

Yes he would need to be in a window seat. Also not in an emergency evacuation row. And if I remember correctly, not in a row directly in front of or behind an emergency row. (not sure about that last part)

We will be flying to DW next week. It will be myself, DW, DD8 and DS2. We plan to sit 2 and 2.

Meaning:
DD8window/Myself middle
-in front of-
DS2window/DW middle

We flew with DD in a car seat when she was about 3 years old and she was constantly kicking the gentlemen's seat in front of her. We were embarrassed and felt terrible about it. We offered to buy he and his wife drinks on the flight but they declined and were actually really nice about the situation.

Yes he would need to be in a window seat. Also not in an emergency evacuation row. And if I remember correctly, not in a row directly in front of or behind an emergency row. (not sure about that last part)

We will be flying to DW next week. It will be myself, DW, DD8 and DS2. We plan to sit 2 and 2.

Meaning:
DD8window/Myself middle
-in front of-
DS2window/DW middle

We flew with DD in a car seat when she was about 3 years old and she was constantly kicking the gentlemen's seat in front of her. We were embarrassed and felt terrible about it. We offered to buy he and his wife drinks on the flight but they declined and were actually really nice about the situation.

Yes!! Totally agree. Sit in front of the "kicker" and you'll only be kicking your own family members. That's what we did too! Happy Travels! :-)

With regards to which row....
  • I can't afford to set in the front business class section, so I used to like mid-plane for quick exit
  • today.... I like the nose bleed section in the back. It's cheaper. My carry-on's make it on the plane. Mid-plane are usually the last to board and most likely asked to have their carry-on's sent to the belly.

When we were a family of 4 we sat 2 and 2 and I put my younger kid in the car seat behind as well just in case of kicking...luckily the most they kicked was what anyone would do..you know getting out of the seat and you bump it.

Bathrooms weren't an issue as one was in a diaper and the other didn't have to go. Now we are 5 so we fly 3 and 2 and no one kicks.

With regards to which row....
  • I can't afford to set in the front business class section, so I used to like mid-plane for quick exit
  • today.... I like the nose bleed section in the back. It's cheaper. My carry-on's make it on the plane. Mid-plane are usually the last to board and most likely asked to have their carry-on's sent to the belly.

Keep in mind all airlines don't board in the same way. Some board window-middle-aisle, some board rear to front, some board randomly, etc.

Hi all!
We are headed to Disney in May and it will be myself, DH, my son who will be 3 and my youngest son will be 14 months. We are flying and my question is what would be the best seating arrangement? We originally were going have my youngest be a lap infant but he is far too mobile even now at 8 months old I can't imagine keeping him still for a 2 hour flight. So I am thinking we will bring the car seat and buy a seat for him. But, how would we arrange it ? I know he will need to be by the window right?

Thanks!!!

Whenever we've flown, I always do a row to ourselves and then a single or double right in front of us. While, it would have been nice to only be in charge of 1 kid, at the end of the day, flying with kids under 3 specifically is just not fun, and I prefer to keep the crazy to ourselves, as opposed to trying to keep them from interfering with a stranger etc. I also always try to put someone in our party directly in front of the most difficult flyer...most likely the 14 month old, so if/when they do hit/kick the seat in front, it's just one of us, so again much less stressful then if it were a stranger.

We normally do 3 across plus one on the opposite aisle. The whole row is great if the kids want to play on the floor.

Any car seated seat will need to be in the window seat.

Your youngest should be in a rear facing car seat in the plane.

Your 3 year old could be in a Cares harness and you can gate check his car seat and he can sit next to you (allowing 3across).

You may want to try to book the bulkhead row if possible as this has more leg room but no bag storage room.

We've done two and two with window and middle. It worked fine for us and the kids (18 months and just 5 the last time we flew) sometimes even played a bit together. I personally like the back of the plane just fine since the noise helps drown us out.

I also personally use the seatback compartment and stock them full before takeoff so I don't need to grab anything.

Also makes it easy for the adults to switch if necessary. We fly southwest though with the kids so we had a plan for each of the possible scenarios in case seats like we wanted weren't available. I will admit I didn't want either of us to be stuck with all the kid work. Mine have a way of acting like they're going to play so much iPad and then on the plane they steal my phone.

Which airline are you flying? If southwest it is unlikely you will be able to pick seats much. Personally, I would take the baby as a lap child. It will be relatively easy to keep a child entertained for 2 hours in a plane. Plan 20 minutes for take-off and landing each, and then 20 minutes for snacks, a baby app in your phone and some water pen coloring and you are set. I just did a 48 hours door to door trip with my extremely mobile 14 month old as a lap child and my 5 year old in a seat. The flights were 2, 6 and 9 hours. The 2 hour flight was piece of cake. You can buy a harness to attach your kid to your lap belt so you can have your hands free while he colors and make sure he is also safe for turbulence. Taking the car seat with you to the gate and into the plane is a PITA so I will avoid it unless you need it. I did it once when DS was small and all he wanted to do was be out of the seat and into my lap looking around at all the exiting stuff. You will also have to think if you will use the car seat after the plane and how much stuff you will bring to the gate. I am assuming you will also be bringing a stroller to the gate right? You will have to carry both through security. Are you renting a car and needing the car seat afterwards or taking the magical express?

We flew when our #3 was 4 months old and last January when #4 was 7 months old. We just held them, so I have no idea about the requirements about where the car seat should be but I do want to say that we always picked our seats closest to the bathrooms. A lot of the time it was way in the back but it was worth it with how often my kids claimed they needed to pee, lol. @@

I'm not sure if you could book it this way with an infant, but I know a lot of people who travel with young children like to book window-aisle-window-aisle for their families, leaving the middle empty.
If seats are left on the plane, they are most likely to be the middle; and almost anyone will trade a middle for either a window or an aisle if it turns out you need to; whereas almost no one will trade into a middle seat (which I have done before, but man it sucks)

A lot is going to depend on the configuration of the plane that you are on from smallest to largest you have
1 aisle 2 ( I would sit 2 and 2 with a kid at the window and adult on the aisle in rows right in front of each other)
2 aisle 2 ( you could do the same or sit with adults across the aisle from each other)
2 aisle 3 ( either sit on the 2 side in 2 rows in front of the other or sit 3 in one row and the 2nd adult either across the aisle or in front or behind. Not if both kids are in carseats no one even the parent can sit between them or at the window)
3 aisle 3 ( one row and either across the aisle or one behind or in front)
2 aisle 4 or 5 aisle 2 (either 2 and 2 in front of each other or sit 4 in a row in the center section-since there is an aisle on both sides it does not matter if there is a carseat in the middle though I don't think you can sit aisle, adult, carseat, adult, carseat either aisle or another person because the adult between the carseats could be trapped between them, but you can sit adult car seat car seat adult.

As far as where it depends on the type of plane for the CRJ series I find it easiest to be in rows 3-5 or just behind the wing. Row 1 you have no under seat storage and row 10 on back ( if it has 18 they are a long plane on these) tend to be a lot more rough if there is turbulance so avoid there plus with kids you can't be in the emergency exit ( window style) or the row in front or back with usually at row 7-9 depending on the total number of rows in the plane.
737, 747, or 757 series as long as your not more than half way between the wing and the back of the plane your good, since these tend to have the level between economy and first class there is few if any rows in front of the wing for economy, usually there is an emergency exit (typically a door) over the wing). The problem is visibility for seeing anything other than the wing and some clouds is limited at best though since you kids are so young it might not matter as much to you. Mine at 9 and almost 12 it can be a problem especially for the younger one)
Airbus typically the same but since these usually have 2 aisle I would consider the middle section with an aisle on either side.

Sitting more than half way between the wing and the back can mean that you will feel turbulance more as well as the engines under you which are not conducive to sleeping for some people if it is a long flight especially if it is early in the morning or late at night.

I have found www.seatguru.com to be fairly accurate to give me a general idea on seats though the ones with comments be sure and read ( obviously if your under 5'5" and someone over 6' says there is no leg room on a seat it's not going to matter as much to you).

Since SW does not service my area ( not driving 10 plus hours each way depending on which airport I would use that does) I don't know much about them but I do understand that your boarding group depends on when you check in online and that families who do not get in group A are boarded between groups A and B.

Most airlines will allow you to have one adult board when your group or section is called to set up a carseat with the other adult bringing the kids at a later time so that they are not standing in the aisle waiting for the seat to be installed or trying to fight it.

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com/
This article has lots of tips on anything you could ever imagine and then some on flying with children. The author is a former flight attendant and has also traveled extensively including to many different countries with her own children both as the solo parent traveling and as a family so things are from both the perspective of a travel professional and a parent ( there is a great section on diaper changes on a plane if necessary that does not involve lugging a huge diaper bag to that tiny lavoratory)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter