Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

Yeah, "data" is probably the wrong term as I know Disney won't release anything official. I think it is good that is appears to be less of an issue than during the previews - which I also take to mean that preview time was valuable to do these adjustments and something to keep in mind for when other lands are opening in the future and have their previews

I do still think they should look at an alternative for those still impacted (and still wish the river ride didn't require transfer, but that is for another thread)
Please remember that during previews there wasn't a test seat. Now there is a test seat so the number of people that would have gotten all the way to the ride and then found out they don't fit is nearly eliminated. The CMs probably have gotten better at helping people too but even what we see with our own eyes in the theaters is not an accurate representation of who can and can not fit.

Please remember that during previews there wasn't a test seat. Now there is a test seat so the number of people that would have gotten all the way to the ride and then found out they don't fit is nearly eliminated. The CMs probably have gotten better at helping people too but even what we see with our own eyes in the theaters is not an accurate representation of who can and can not fit.
true fact

So now I'm super worried. I'm heavy and my H is tall and lean. We're taking our 5 (will be 6) year old daughter and now I'm terrified people will be making fun of me and she'll hear it. This seriously happens at Disney world?? I'm not going to try the test seats, I'm researching rides ahead of time and will just skip what's not fat friendly. But after reading this thread I'm having visions of people in MK just loudly making fat comments at me. Eff. It's making me want to push it back several months or cancel but I have my heart set on taking dd while she's young enough to love princesses and believe in magic. :(

Where ever you go in the world unfortunately people have the potential to be *pratts*, but I would try not to worry about it.

Honestly if you just focused on your family and daughter's wonderment you are going to have a fab time.

Don't let them ruin your fun time :goodvibes and I'm sure even if a *Total Spanner* does say something, if you're more focused on the fun and enjoying your fab trip then those will be the things your Daughter remembers.

*used some mainly UK terms for Idiots, as I wanted to use stronger language but I don't want to fall foul of the board rules. although anyone who would go on holiday and start commenting on total stranger appearance in my opinion is a total *Bell-End*

Last edited:
So now I'm super worried. I'm heavy and my H is tall and lean. We're taking our 5 (will be 6) year old daughter and now I'm terrified people will be making fun of me and she'll hear it. This seriously happens at Disney world?? I'm not going to try the test seats, I'm researching rides ahead of time and will just skip what's not fat friendly. But after reading this thread I'm having visions of people in MK just loudly making fat comments at me. Eff. It's making me want to push it back several months or cancel but I have my heart set on taking dd while she's young enough to love princesses and believe in magic. :(
I agree with everyone else and hope that you don't postpone your trip due to others. My BFF was concerned about her size and not fitting on the ride after reading some things online but she fit fine and refused to try the test seat. Don't let anyone else rob you of your special trip while your princess is still young!

I get it. I was in those shoes at one time in the not so distant past. I understood that there would always be a possibility that I would be restricted from riding something based on my size and enjoyed the things I could do instead. My husband is deathly afraid of heights, but there is no place for him to view the film as a non-flyer.

Thanks for projecting that I should feel this way or that I am miserable in my body, sorry but I do not.

Thanks for projecting that I should feel this way or that I am miserable in my body, sorry but I do not.

Not projecting at all so please do not put words in my mouth. That's your own interpretation of what I said.

Huh? I didn't get that from the post at all. This person was simply indicating how they feel.

Thank you for understanding.

One thing I forgot to mention was that when I talked to one of the CMs they said they were keeping track of the people that could not ride due to size/shape restrictions. I know this has been discussed on the official Pandora thread but I wanted to add a little food for thought to that whole idea.

With the line for this ride being anywhere from 2 to 4 hours long, I would imagine that most people who might be concerned about fitting in a new ride would seek out a test seat (because people of size usually have this in the back of their mind at some point). This will virtually eliminate the number of people that would not fit from going on the ride at all and therefore eliminate them from being included in this "data collection".

I in no way want to inhibit or endanger another rider's experience but I think it's important that if you try out the test seat and find that you don't fit and can't ride, that you call customer service or email them (WDW.guest.communications@disneyworld.com) because maybe they can add one or two seats that could accommodate people of size or people with larger calves.
I think that's a great point to make and one that needs to be pointed out.

Has anyone seen any updates on specifics of who might have trouble riding? My boyfriend's family is excited to ride, but they're sturdily built folks (as am I, to a lesser extent). Their calves especially are fairly impressive, so I'm worried I should break it to them now that they shouldn't get their hopes up...

Has anyone seen any updates on specifics of who might have trouble riding? My boyfriend's family is excited to ride, but they're sturdily built folks (as am I, to a lesser extent). Their calves especially are fairly impressive, so I'm worried I should break it to them now that they shouldn't get their hopes up...

At this point, it seems to be a bit up in the air. Some are reporting that many people not overweight have been turned away due to more muscular calves not necessarily just big calves. It seems multiple body types have to do some kind of maneuvering to fit. Some people found sitting straight up and not leaning forward made it work for them, someone else reported on here that someone else in their party had to lean back a bit and fit fine. Some have said they had to lift their heels at first til the restraints went in then put their heels down and it worked. So it's all sizes, it seems. It's a bit of a mystery.

The overall consensus seems to be to try the test seat out front but to also keep in mind that the test seat has a smoother surface that allows you to slide up closer to the front of the seat easier but the actual ride is more "rubberized", I guess would be a decent term, and doesn't allow that freedom. It's also speculated that CMs have been given a bit more training to try more options to help accommodate people better. If anything, I'd say try the test seat out front and maybe ask the CM in the room for any advice on how to sit. These are the people who see hundreds of people ride this thing each day and might be able to give some personal input.

Something about this post makes me think of Gaston! I love it! :D

It's happened to me and to loved ones, but I will say that in 38 visits, it's only happened a handful of times. Yes, those times are memorable and horrible, but there's no point in letting them win and ruin your enjoyment.

Remember that we don't owe anyone anything - not their idea of beauty, not their idea of fitness, not their idea of anything. However much space you take up in the world and however much space I take up in the world is okay. WDW is for everyone.

At this point, it seems to be a bit up in the air. Some are reporting that many people not overweight have been turned away due to more muscular calves not necessarily just big calves. It seems multiple body types have to do some kind of maneuvering to fit. Some people found sitting straight up and not leaning forward made it work for them, someone else reported on here that someone else in their party had to lean back a bit and fit fine. Some have said they had to lift their heels at first til the restraints went in then put their heels down and it worked. So it's all sizes, it seems. It's a bit of a mystery.

The overall consensus seems to be to try the test seat out front but to also keep in mind that the test seat has a smoother surface that allows you to slide up closer to the front of the seat easier but the actual ride is more "rubberized", I guess would be a decent term, and doesn't allow that freedom. It's also speculated that CMs have been given a bit more training to try more options to help accommodate people better. If anything, I'd say try the test seat out front and maybe ask the CM in the room for any advice on how to sit. These are the people who see hundreds of people ride this thing each day and might be able to give some personal input.

This makes me feel better for sure :) Thanks!

This is a great video showing some tips and she is a plus size gal and it made me more comfortable that I would fit too.

And thank you!!! This is awesome!

I'm 41 and still believe in Disney magic, so don't you worry about rushing either. You go when you're feeling great about it! Hopefully that's sooner than later!

Have people made fun of you in front of your daughter before? Has your daughter ever heard something you did not wish her to hear? Does she go to school?

If you've said yes to any of the above, then just use your parenting skills and discuss it with her. If you haven't had to talk to her about any kind of issue before, start thinking about what you want to say to her now. You are going to have to have these kinds of conversations with her at some point, aren't you? It's part of being exposed to the world, the good and the bad and the ugly. It's up to you to show your daughter how to respond to all three of these situations. How you do it is up to you.

I don't think it's any more likely to happen than it does in the "real world." I've been to Disney World when I was very heavy, and I didn't hear any remarks. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but it's nowhere near certain to happen.

If your daughter overhears something like that, you can say, "Those people don't know me at all. They only know what they see on the outside, and that is not the important part of a person. They are being mean and rude, but let's not worry about it and have fun." And, yes, I am very sensitive, so I know that is not easy. If you can't do it without being too emotional (and that would be me in many cases), your husband can speak up to your daughter using similar words. And then do your best to believe those words (because they are true), and go have fun!

Just a friendly reminder that this thread has stayed open to discuss FoP vehicle restraint and report back when one fits or doesn't.
Discussions on how people should feel, or what they should say to others or how to educate their children should remain out of this thread.
This is a sensitive subject and the more we veer away from the prime objective the harder it will be to get back on track

This is a great video showing some tips and she is a plus size gal and it made me more comfortable that I would fit too.

Thank you for posting the video! I hope this helps people. I noticed though, that at 1 minute 10 seconds you can see that even with her tips on how to fit, the arrow is still in the red zone. I'm sure the cast member wasn't pushing but even for her she was very close to not fitting.

Hell with other people and their thoughts. Go, be with your daughter, and enjoy that. Nobody is going to make comments at you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter