Flight of Passage - are the back and leg restraints uncomfortable? (Super tight/restrictive)

oceanmarina

DIS Veteran
Hi all I have a friend who has space issues - I wouldn’t call her claustrophobic, but she definitely does not like being squished in tight spaces. She had heard there are leg and back restraints on FOP and was wondering how tight they are and if they are uncomfortable or super tight. She has a dd with “sensory issues” who is 9 and is interested in riding (sensory issues to the extent of not liking clothing too tight or in this case if the ride restraints are tight. I’ve never been on it so I couldn’t answer her question so I thought I would ask here. :o

Uncomfortable? Subjective, but I don't think so. You do get locked into place though, so if that sort of feeling is an issue, that might be a problem. I'm a husky dude so the restraints are tight for me, I'm not moving while locked into that thing at all.

No I don’t think so at all...it really only presses against your lower back. The top of your body is totally open and you’re not even close to the person next to you.
I don’t consider myself claustrophobic but I sometimes feel uncomfortable in certain rides - mission space I hate and wouldn’t go on again if you paid me. FOP is nothing like that.

You know how roller coaster have a lap bar that adjusts to different bodies...so you pull it down and then sometimes you get nervous and push it down further where it is a little too snug? So the FoP back piece is similar, it uses pneumatics to set in place behind you, then a ride attendant comes along and “pushes” it a bit further to make sure it is secure.

I don’t think it is uncomfortably tight until they push on you and sometimes that makes it noticeable. My advice is this: they tell you to sit all the way forward against the chest pad, but tell your friend to leave just a few inches space so that once the backpiece is in place there is some wiggle/breathing room. This worked well for me after my first ride where I thought it was too snug. Once the video starts, their mind will be distracted anyhow and not focus on the restraints.

**i am a petite person, so my experience might vary from someone of a different build

I don’t like restraints either but have to say I didn’t even notice them on this ride even though I could tell they were being put in place.

They aren’t tight, but the back restrait does push in and then back out a bit. I have back issues and it actually gave me a back kink that I felt for about 15 minutes after I got off the ride. They could probably voice their concerns and get off the ride before it begins if the constraints are too much. Once the ride started, I was busy with the scenery and not thinking about them.

I'm petite and I find it to be tight but not that uncomfortable. It reminds me of the restraint on stitch's great escape. I could see it feeling claustrophobic for some people. As pp said I also learned to not sit all the way forward so that it's not so tight but you're still held in place.

I do battle claustrophobia at times. The restraining system on this ride does not bother me at all.

Hi all I have a friend who has space issues - I wouldn’t call her claustrophobic, but she definitely does not like being squished in tight spaces. She had heard there are leg and back restraints on FOP and was wondering how tight they are and if they are uncomfortable or super tight. She has a dd with “sensory issues” who is 9 and is interested in riding (sensory issues to the extent of not liking clothing too tight or in this case if the ride restraints are tight. I’ve never been on it so I couldn’t answer her question so I thought I would ask here. :o
I have asthma and some sensory issue the back restrant is tighton me so I tend to sit up and not tough the front part of the restrant untill the back is up. I just leave an inch maybe but this is enough for me.

I don’t like restraints either but have to say I didn’t even notice them on this ride even though I could tell they were being put in place.

I agree with this. I was very hesitant to ride this due to the restraints and fear of motion sickness, but family talked me into it, and boy am I glad they did! Once this ride started I forgot about all my concerns and loved every minute of it - didn't even notice how I was being held in.

I'm not a huge fan of tight spaces and it doesn't bother me at all. It pushes against your back a bit, but your whole upper body is out. It is like you are riding a motorcycle. They are not uncomfortable or overly tight at all. I didn't feel like my legs were restrained-- just my back locked in. I would say it feels less restraining or tight than when you have a bar that comes over your head on a roller coaster. I agree with the PP that once the ride starts it is so amazing that you don't even think about the restraint. Now Mission Space-- I did not realize the tight space bothered me until the ride had an issue and we were inside the pod for 15 minutes without it working-- for a minute I thought I was going to start pounding on the door from them to let me out.:rolleyes1

I totally agree. At first it was surprising the way I was locked in but the ride is so awesome I forgot about the uncomfortableness.

I am a bit claustrophobic, and twice in the 12 times I’ve been on FoP the back and leg restraint system did not open as quickly for me as others on the ride. They were all leaving and I was stuck. It was just a few seconds, but I was approaching panic mode before the attendant arrived to disengage it.

I have sensory issues and can’t do close spaces....was scared to death to ride FOP. Especially after riding Mission Space, which I really felt like I was going to die on. My son talked me into riding FOP. So glad I did. It had an amazingly “open” feeling, much like Soarin, but the experience was much more beautiful. I seriously cried with happiness the entire ride...unlike the tears of fear frozen to the side of my face on Mission Space.

I have 2 teens (12 and 15) with sensory issues, one of whom is on the autism spectrum. I was worried about how they'd respond to the restraints after what I'd read here. It turned out to be a non-issue. Neither one had any issues. I also talked to all the kids about how a lot of what we'd feel/see was due to the visual experience; if anything was too intense they could try closing their eyes because the physical movements they'd be making were much smaller than what they'd be "tricked" into feeling.

My sister almost had a panic attack the first time she rode it. Her restraints were really tight - she didn’t know the trick of sitting back some so the back restraint doesn’t press you so tight.

Add to that the fact that the ride didn’t start for a few minutes, after we were restrained. The attendants were working with getting everyone’s restraints to fasten.

bottom line - everyone is different and handle things differently. The ride can cause sensory issues with some.

At first it seemed a bit snug to me - I have no claustrophobia issues but I thought it might be a bit uncomfortable while the ride was going on. Once it started, I didn't even realize that it was there anymore. The ride is so immersive, you are completely taken into it. There are so many scents, sounds, movement, things to look at it's almost a shock when it ends and you are suddenly brought back to the reality that you're on a bike-like apparatus instead of on a banshee. The feeling of the restraints becomes so much in the background. Having said that, be aware that there are scents and sounds as well as movement so that can cause issues with someone who has sensory issues especially if they're not prepared for it. Also be aware that it "breathes"; the middle portion of the bike that you're gripping with your legs moves in and out to give you the sense that you're on a living animal as you fly.

My wife and I both felt motion sickness after riding this but it was the most amazing ride ever. On my next trip I am
getting some scopolamine patches so I can do it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter