Flight ID for children

Mark Thornhill

Earning My Ears
Is a birth certificate required for an 8 year old to fly to Hawaii? We have his Social Security card but can’t find his birth certificate, leaving in 4 days on American Airlines! Stressing out to say the least. Help!

Is a birth certificate required for an 8 year old to fly to Hawaii? We have his Social Security card but can’t find his birth certificate, leaving in 4 days on American Airlines! Stressing out to say the least. Help!
No different id requirements flying to Hawaii than anywhere else in the US. Kids don’t need IDs as long as they are with an adult. Unless things have changed post COVID, which I may not be aware of.

No different id requirements flying to Hawaii than anywhere else in the US. Kids don’t need IDs as long as they are with an adult. Unless things have changed post COVID, which I may not be aware of.

I hope you’re right, covid has me second guessing everything! 8-)

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification#:~:text=TSA does not require children,requirements for travelers under 18.

The TSA id requirements.

Children
TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling within the United States. Contact the airline for questions regarding specific ID requirements for travelers under 18.

As an adult you also don't necessarily need an ID to fly, though it definitely makes the process much easier.

Forgot Your ID?
In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You will be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

Last edited:

We just flew to Hawaii on American Airlines on Saturday. My son is 8 years old and no one asked to see his ID.

Children do not need any ID when flying within the Country. Leave you SS cards and birth certificates at home. We have been flying with our kids since they were 1 & 2 and are now 19 & 20. Not once have we been asked for any ID for them. When they turn 18, they need ID.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter