• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flight/Baggage/Food ??

melnbil

DIS Veteran
The next time we go to Disney, we are "planning" on flying. I know about shipping stuff ahead of time, or garden grocer orders. Is there a Wal-Mart close enough to do a quick run to get toiletries, snacks, etc. GG prices are ridiculous (sp). What else would you suggest? If you carry toiletries for 3 people for 14 days you will have over the 50lb weight limit for the plane.

We always go to the Walmart at 3250 Vineland Road, Kissimmee, FL 34746. It's about 10 minutes or so from Pop. We get breakfast items and bottled water for our stay. The guys usually get the rental car and groceries while the girls ride ME.

We aren't doing rental, so it would be a cab ride for us. Does anyone know if they would wait for us, or would we have to do two separate rides?

We aren't doing rental, so it would be a cab ride for us. Does anyone know if they would wait for us, or would we have to do two separate rides?

The money you would spend for the cab would probably offset any savings you could have.

pack small toiletries.... that cuts weight.... You can also pack some items in a checked bag to eat, and if you eat things like cereal,granola bars,etc it can be great.....

it all depends on how heavy you pack, and what airline also. SOme airlines let you check 2 bags pp- Which is why I am bringing a 2nd bag down just for my food. 50 pounds is quite a lot, I can't imagine needing that much hair gel for 14 days....:rotfl2:

The cost to rent a car or take cab to get to a store would probably be offset by the increased prices at garden grocer so it might be a wash. You could also hire a car service to get from the airport to the resort, if I recall correctly, many will allow for a 30 minute grocery store stop. We took one once where the driver even had a map of the store so we could get an idea of where everything would be. ha!

If you prefer to just bring everything with you, it would depend on the airline and how many bags you are going to check. Southwest allows 2 checked bags and (for now) Jet Blue allows one...that's a lot of weight you can bring with you and should be no problem bringing what you need for two weeks. If you want to limit the number of bags you check due to baggage fees, you could pack bulky/heavier items in your carry-on bag to free up the weight of your suitcase.

Thanks guys. It would be Delta. So 1 carry on and one personal item. Baggage is 50 lbs and $25 one bag $35 for second.
I could limit the toiletries, I am just creaking out a little since I usually drive. :-) My husband and son refuse to drive again. So I am outvoted.

The next time we go to Disney, we are "planning" on flying. I know about shipping stuff ahead of time, or garden grocer orders. Is there a Wal-Mart close enough to do a quick run to get toiletries, snacks, etc. GG prices are ridiculous (sp). What else would you suggest? If you carry toiletries for 3 people for 14 days you will have over the 50lb weight limit for the plane.

are you only taking 1 bag? 3 people 3 bags. If southwest 6 bags

I am just creaking out a little since I usually drive. :-) My husband and son refuse to drive again. So I am outvoted.

You usually drive to Disney? Or AT Disney? If you usually rent a car in orlando and the guys are balking, hey, let them take DME and you rent a car for a day or two to get your necessities. :)

I know after yesterday's flight with DH and DS I could've used a break lol. Alas we are at Universal so no DME option! Couldn't leave them behind at the car rental place. :)

You usually drive to Disney? Or AT Disney? If you usually rent a car in orlando and the guys are balking, hey, let them take DME and you rent a car for a day or two to get your necessities. :)

I know after yesterday's flight with DH and DS I could've used a break lol. Alas we are at Universal so no DME option! Couldn't leave them behind at the car rental place. :)

I think she means they usually drive TO Disney and that flying into Orlando and not having a car available is new to them.

I am sorry. Yeah we usually drive to Orlando. I know it will all work out in the end. I am just an over planner, so I tend to overthink things.

The amount you spend on a cab will off set any savings you have shopping at a Wal-Mart or such. I would do one of several things...
1. Use DME to your resort and preorder groceries from Garden Grocer or WeGoShop.
2. Use a car service from MCO to your resort....some will allow a grocery stop with a one way trip.
3. Pack a second checked bag with food/toiletries and just pay the $25.
4. Take a cab, from your resort to a store, and then back again.

If it were me? #1. My time is valuable. I don't want to spend it in a grocery store. I have had very good experiences with Garden Grocer. Yes, they're a bit more expensive, and there is a delivery charge, but.....once you pay for a cab, spend the time in a strange store, and make the ride back and forth, paying for GG seems like a good deal the groceries are waiting for you when you check in at your resort.

No way would we use a delivery service... Overpriced and minimum order is far more than what we require...and taking an hour out of a weeks vacation is nothing... How mush time do you need... I rather pick and chose my own items...

When we use Amtrak, we always use a car service allowing the 30 minute stop...Publix is our store... we like Boars Head deli products and always have picnic sandwiches at the pool every day, along with all sorts of beverages...

If push came to shove, I'd rent a car for one day from the Swan and Dolphin , hit the stores and return it ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter