Flight arriving late - 1 night offsite hotel?

Csychta

Earning My Ears
We plan to go to Disney for 4 days, but our inbound flight does not arrive into Orlando until 10 pm

Instead of checking right to the Disney resort hotel on the first night, I was thinking of trying to save some money money by staying at a cheaper hotel (near the airport?) and then the next morning heading into the Disney park.

Any recommendations on hotels? (E.g. With shuttle to/from airport and/or to/from Disney?)
Thoughts for/against?

Thanks in advance!

We've stayed at the hotels just north of the airport off Semoran Blvd. We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites earlier this year and had no complaints. We had a rental so can't help on the shuttle, but as close as it is I'd guess there was one.

The response is different depending on whether you will have a car. If you have a car, then there is no real issue. Just pack up and head to the park the next morning bright and early. If you are depending on DME and you want to be at rope drop, then staying at a Disney resort is very important. To go from MCO hotel to MCO then DME to resort then resort to park, you would not make rope drop.

We have done it both ways in the past before we drove down. We got a hotel right by MCO for $50 for the night...very nice hotel. We walked to Hooters for drinks and dinner. The next morning, we were off to MCO at 6AM to get DME. Since we were the only ones on the hotel bus, the driver said he would drop us right off at DME. I run in with our luggage outside, check-in, bus driver loads the DME bus, and off we go. We were the only ones on the DME bus. Dropped off at Pop Century at about 7AM, luggage checked at PC, and off to EMH and make it there before rope drop. Now, this was done in the most perfect of timing. 30 minutes later the DME bus is more full, hitting rush hour traffic, more stops, and an additional 45 minutes of time added.

So, if rope drop is critical, just find a flight arriving very early in the morning, list that as your DME flight in, and get to MCO early.

If you are not planning on renting a car, DME from the airport is a great perk, and it is nice to be at a resort and ready to go for your first day. I think the cost and time saved with those are worth the cost of the extra nt. You will be ready in the morning to walk to your bus stop and be at a park, jump starting your vacation!

Back in my DVC days we'd fly in late and get a room near MCO on Hotwire. But there was no DME in those days so we rented a car. In the a.m. we'd just drive to whatever park and leave our luggage in the trunk of the rental. Then check into our resort in the afternoon.

Last time I had a late flight I stayed at one of the All Stars that first night. Then next day checked into the WL. I did have a rental that time too. But it was nice not having to travel so far in the morning. I think if I were in your situation I'd still go for the All Stars that first night. It might be a few dollars more than what you might pay near the airport, but next morning you're already at WDW.

Assuming you fit in 1 room, I don't find a huge cost difference between a disney value and off site hotel after you add in the other fees that the hotel charges you. I would probably aim for all stars to get the hour from airport out of the way that night. You might be stuck to disney pizza delivery as your only food option though (or a local dominos, not much is opened late near property). If you can still use DME that late (I forget when it's too late to use it), I would take it but I would get my own bags and bring them to dme with me to ensure I have them right away.

just remember the service fees and what it's going to cost in both time and money to get to property the next morning and you might find it's just not worth saving a couple dollars near the airport.

Personally, I much prefer to get to my resort as soon as I arrive. I have always found that it was worth the money to arrive and get settled ASAP. My vacation time is very valuable to me and if I had to save a few dollars I would find it elsewhere.

Hyatt right in airport is super convenient. They take discounts ( aaa) and u can look around for other discounts. Worth the relaxation to start fresh n new and off on DME whenever You want!
We ve done this a few times. Worked great!!
Enjoy!

We arrived very late at MCo for our trip last year, and as we had come from the UK via Washington DC we had literally been up for 26 hours. There was no way I could have driven anywhere. We were booked into the Hyatt MCO and it was a godsend to be able to just get off the plane and straight into bed. In the event it would have been a nightmare if we hadn't = AA lost one of our bags in the airport and it didn't turn up til the next morning. If we'd been staying anywhere else I would have had to make another trip back to MCO to pick it up. Instead baggage claim just called the hotel once they'd found it. We are doing the same again this year!

I'd either stay at the MCO airport or just book a value. They'll transfer all you luggage to your hotel for you when you have a split stay within Disney. Or for the convenience factor you could just check in late to your hotel and then be fresh and ready to go the next morning. That would be my personal choice, on vacation my time is worth a lot.

It looks like you are coming to do a Disney only vacation, so I would book a value resort for the night. I would call Disney to see when is the last pickup for DME. If you are arriving after the last pickup then I would still book a room at a value and find a way to get there. Like most others have said, it would be worth a few extra dollars just to already be on property the first thing in the morning. Let Disney do all the moving of your luggage from one room to the next. They don't mind at all !!

Surely a personal decision. I join the camp of, get to the Disney property then you're done. On a Disney vacation time is money and saving a few bucks to hurry and travel to the parks in the AM wouldn't be worth it to me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter