Flag Retreat Ceremony

dprincessmom

dprincessmom
We are making what will likely be my parent's last trip to WDW in September and I was wondering if anyone had any experience/insight into how to get my father selected for this event? Appreciate any info you may have TIA

We are making what will likely be my parent's last trip to WDW in September and I was wondering if anyone had any experience/insight into how to get my father selected for this event? Appreciate any info you may have TIA

The military participant is chosen that day, completely at random, by anonymous CMs who mingle with MK guests arriving in the morning.

If the day you are at MK is available (some local VA groups preknow or when someone reaches out for a reunion event etc) make sure your dad is wearing something that shows his service. Be it a hat from his original base or whatever. Also when you arrive talking with every CM you come in contact with about how much the ceremony means and how it is most likely your dads last trip and he's never gotten to do it won't hurt. You never know which CM is the picker.

The veteran is "normally" chosen in the Town Sq. area in the morning by a CM associated with Guest Relations.

I'm not sure if they still allow this, but when we went in 2011, my mom took my dad's draft papers with her and showed them to a CM at Guest Services as soon as the park opened. They hadn't selected anyone for that day yet, so my dad was the lucky vet they chose. We kept it a secret until we were supposed to meet the CMs at the flagpole, and the look of surprise and appreciation on his face made it that much more special.

Quite honestly, if your father's service needs to be noticed to him, just do it yourself and not include him in the ceremony. I love the ceremony but your father might be more appreciative of it if he wasn't a part of the whole thing. Get there about about a half hour before it starts, sit on the benches facing the railroad station and when the participants come out, acknowledge them and then (this is important), turn around. You can then clearly see their walk to the flagpole and all that and then the walk back. If that doesn't stir something in all of you, I don't know what will.

After the ceremony, have someone from your group see if they can find a member of the group and then ask that person to speak to your father. I think that will mean more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter