Fishing,accelerating modifying and MEP

I'm sorry to hear about this rider switch issue, but appreciate you sharing. I have never used rider switch in the Genie+ era, but will be doing so this summer.

If we do have an MEP and a LL for a ride, and plan to use rider switch for our son to ride twice (once with each parent), I'm assuming our son will scan his MagicBand the first time for the LL and the second time for the rider switch pass. Will this essentially work like accelerating a LL when you have an MEP? Meaning, if our son has a rider switch pass plus an MEP, it should pull the rider switch and not the MEP?

This is what we call user error. What happened after you scanned twice?
Yes obviously. I only posted as a warning. I needed to control which users were scanned so did from phone, but unbeknownst to me my 8 yo also scanned with her magic band at the same time. All in all wasn’t too bad and I didn’t try to get it back. This was a silver and we rope dropped two gold rides in the first 30 minutes. Had this not happened we would have left the park one hour earlier but kids still got to ride incredicoaster 3 times via LL.

I'm sorry to hear about this rider switch issue, but appreciate you sharing. I have never used rider switch in the Genie+ era, but will be doing so this summer.

If we do have an MEP and a LL for a ride, and plan to use rider switch for our son to ride twice (once with each parent), I'm assuming our son will scan his MagicBand the first time for the LL and the second time for the rider switch pass. Will this essentially work like accelerating a LL when you have an MEP? Meaning, if our son has a rider switch pass plus an MEP, it should pull the rider switch and not the MEP?

Here’s what happened to us. Child A had MEP and LL. Scanned and LL used with MEP intact so acceleration worked. Then had rider switch credit added. Second time around scanned but this time MEP was used and rider switch credit remained. Later I didn’t see an option to show barcode for rider switch. Probably could have asked to have this reversed.

This was an effort to allow 2 children to reride and it should have worked. With 2 adults and 3 children rider switch is great and should allow the older 2 to ride twice if you have LL for all 5. However it seems that using rider switch while trying to preserve MEPs may complicate things. Just posting my experience.

Yes obviously. I only posted as a warning. I needed to control which users were scanned so did from phone, but unbeknownst to me my 8 yo also scanned with her magic band at the same time. All in all wasn’t too bad and I didn’t try to get it back. This was a silver and we rope dropped two gold rides in the first 30 minutes. Had this not happened we would have left the park one hour earlier but kids still got to ride incredicoaster 3 times via LL.
Ah gotcha, so the MEP was used instead of the Ride Switch. I hadn't understood that part from your post.

Any recommendations on ways to avoid MEP being used instead of rider switch?
I've never used rider switch with Genie+. In your case it seems like only scanning with your phone and not having MB+ that could accidentally get scanned would be the solution.

From what I understand the system gives a "credit" that gets used up after scanning (LL, rider switch, MEP, DAS all seem to function the same) but the thing is, as far as I know you only have 1 bar code for all of these credits. Using up a LL credit seems to have priority over MEP in the system which is why accelerating works. But I do not know where rider switch would be on the "use" order if that makes sense. From this thread it seems like MEP has priority over rider switch.

If I was super worried about loosing the MEP and had the option then I would simply avoid using rider switch tbh.

We have rider switch in conjunction with MEPs often and haven’t run into this issue that I’ve noticed. We are going again soon so I’ll try to pay extra attention to see how things get used. We always scan using our MB+ rather than using our phones.

So yesterday we had a genie for pirates that went down. I think I was fishing but when I got my pass, it was only good for pirates. Which was fine, but I was surprised. I think it was the same for hyperspace mt. But then Monsters gave me the traditional MEP (twice!). Which then made me doubt that maybe Space had been traditional and I read it wrong. I used it for space so it was fine. I accelerated Space from 12:30 to a 10:05 at 9:50 so that was great!

My wife and I were able to fish and accelerate nicely in March. We’ll be going again in May, but with a larger party of seven. It’s easy to swap LL reservations with two people. But with seven people, I can’t help but wonder…

Does anyone know if the ride reservation system in the app counts my group as one unit, or as seven units? If I am trying to swap my LL reservation for a different ride for my entire party and I keep refreshing the ride list, is the system looking for one opening for my one group? Or is it looking for seven openings for my seven individuals?

My wife and I were able to fish and accelerate nicely in March. We’ll be going again in May, but with a larger party of seven. It’s easy to swap LL reservations with two people. But with seven people, I can’t help but wonder…

Does anyone know if the ride reservation system in the app counts my group as one unit, or as seven units? If I am trying to swap my LL reservation for a different ride for my entire party and I keep refreshing the ride list, is the system looking for one opening for my one group? Or is it looking for seven openings for my seven individuals?
I'm curious about this, too. Back in the FP + days changing your group size when looking for a return time was a huge part of the strategy.
I believe that when searching for a LL, the app doesn't ask you for your party until after it tells you what time is available. That makes me think that either it's searching for some default number of spots (what you used last time, maybe?) or that it is as you said searching for one "unit".
I'd love to know if anyone knows for sure.

I have rarely had problems with G+ and FP with a group of six. I can almost always refresh my way to an earlier time within 10 minutes of work. My hunch has always been that there is some “slop” when it comes to the number of LL reservations are available and it isn’t some hard limit.

At Disneyland I helped a group of 8 and 7 and had no problem fishing for earlier LLs.
At WDW with the same size group I need to separate.

My assumption is that at Disneyland more guests are inclined to modify and cancel LLs.
At WDW they mostly modify and rarely cancel.

Accelerating LLs using Gold Tier MEPs is just incredible. So fun and easy. It's the best way to do Disneyland.
Can you please explain What Accelerating is in the simplest terms possible. i've read most of this thread and still can't wrap my brain around it. I've NEVER been to Disneyland (Disneyworld 8 times) and I have never heard of this. Please help... thank you.

Can you please explain What Accelerating is in the simplest terms possible. i've read most of this thread and still can't wrap my brain around it. I've NEVER been to Disneyland (Disneyworld 8 times) and I have never heard of this. Please help... thank you.
Same, I read this whole thread and can't get my WDW mind around it.

Same, I read this whole thread and can't get my WDW mind around it.
The MEP acceleration feature works like this. If you have an MEP that you can use for a certain ride and also have a LL for that ride, tapping into the ride will use up the LL, not the MEP, even if the LL was for a later time of day. This has been described as accelerating the return time for the LL. It also means that you still have your MEP after riding and can do the same thing for another ride, and then another ride, etc. You're still limited to one LL per Genie+ attraction per day, and the MEP has to allow you to ride that ride (so no silver MEPs for gold rides), but you don't have to wait for LL return times as long as you have both the MEP and a LL for that ride. There are occasional reports of it not working for certain rides, but it works most of the time for most Genie+ rides.

Quote Reply
Report Edit

As I understand it, accelerating is a glitch in the genie+ system. If you've booked a LL for a ride that is broken during the time you are scheduled to ride it, the app issues you a free pass (multi experience pass). However if you use the MEP for a ride that you have a later lightning lane for, the app will use the LL instead, keeping the MEP.

Example:
7:30 am - Scan in and fish for MEP by booking a LL for Indiana Jones.
8:10 am - Indiana Jones is broken, app alerts. you that they've given you a MEP.
8:30 am - Rebook Indiana Jones LL but it's for 3 pm.
9 am - Scan in to Indiana Jones with your magic band (or MEP potentially?) but the app takes your 3 pm LL and you still have your MEP.

I have never tried this because I don't want to risk loosing my MEP. I also am not clear if it works using your phone and scanning the MEP bar code they give you, or if there's another bar code you are supposed to scan. Maybe just your ticket code?

I'm with you FlyGurl. Have used Modify a bunch but when I've been lucky enough to get a good MEP I've been hesitant to try accelerating and lose the MEP if I mess it up. :oops:

Last edited:
Glitch? Hack? You make it sound like we're cheating. I consider MEP acceleration to be a feature of the Genie+ system. It avoids problems for Disney. Just as Disney allows people to tap in to their Genie+ LLs shortly before and after their one-hour return windows to avoid complaints about clocks not being the same, they allow people who have both MEPs and LLs to tap in and use their less-valuable LLs rather than accidentally using their more-valuable MEPs. I remember back under the Fastpass+ system at WDW being with people who had MEPs and had fastpasses for Haunted Mansion. They tapped into the ride during the five-minute before grace period for fastpasses and had the system take their MEPs instead of the fastpasses. Back then, the system only took the fastpass instead of the MEP if you tapped in during your one-hour period. (We were definitely in the five-minute before period. Some of us had fastpasses for the same time as those with the MEPs, but since we didn't have MEPs it took our fastpasses.) That caused unhappy customers. By always taking the LL instead of the MEP, Disney is now avoiding that problem with the Genie+ system. The fact that those of us with knowledge of how it works can take advantage of it does not mean it is a glitch or a hack, no more than knowing that you can tap into a LL up to five minutes early is a glitch or hack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter