Fishing,accelerating modifying and MEP

We have rider switch in conjunction with MEPs often and haven’t run into this issue that I’ve noticed. We are going again soon so I’ll try to pay extra attention to see how things get used. We always scan using our MB+ rather than using our phones.

Hi, I was wondering how rider switch + MEPs turned out on your last trip? I'm going in a couple months with a friend and my 2 year old, so we will definitely need to do rider switch for any of the "big" rides the adults want to do. I just learned about this fishing and accelerating thing and am really hoping I can leverage it to make our park days go smoother.

Hi, I was wondering how rider switch + MEPs turned out on your last trip? I'm going in a couple months with a friend and my 2 year old, so we will definitely need to do rider switch for any of the "big" rides the adults want to do. I just learned about this fishing and accelerating thing and am really hoping I can leverage it to make our park days go smoother.
We haven’t had issues, but I do think you need to watch the time windows. For example, if your LL time is passed when you enter and you have a qualifying MEP, it’ll take the MEP. If you have a rider switch set up where it is valid after a certain time, if you enter before that time for a qualifying ride, I think that’s when it might take the MEP instead of the rider switch. Also, sometimes we would get an MEP that was only valid for the ride that went down (happened with Pirates). So definitely check what rides the MEP you get is valid for before trying to accelerate with it.

We haven’t had issues, but I do think you need to watch the time windows. For example, if your LL time is passed when you enter and you have a qualifying MEP, it’ll take the MEP. If you have a rider switch set up where it is valid after a certain time, if you enter before that time for a qualifying ride, I think that’s when it might take the MEP instead of the rider switch. Also, sometimes we would get an MEP that was only valid for the ride that went down (happened with Pirates). So definitely check what rides the MEP you get is valid for before trying to accelerate with it.
I see… so let me explain a hypothetical situation to see if I’m understanding the “accelerating+rider switch” strategy correctly:

Let’s say the 2 adults in my party book a LL for MMRR for 8-9 am, which immediately breaks down and gives us each a “gold” MEP. Once we have an MEP I can then book us 2 LLs for, say, Smuggler’s Run at 12-1 pm. Even though it’s only 9 am, we could walk over to Smuggler’s Run LL, scan our ticket barcodes, and also ask for a rider switch pass. Adult 1 would go through the LL while Adult 2 stays with the toddler. After Adult 1 is done riding, Adult 2 should *immediately*proceed to the LL entrance and scan her ticket barcode to ride.

However, if either 1) we let our original 12-1 pm LL window pass for Smuggler’s Run without tapping in, OR 2) Adult 2 doesn’t tap in to Smuggler’s Run within the rider switch window (which is an hour? Two hours?), then the system will take the MEP rather than the LL or the rider switch pass for Adult 2 - because the LL and rider switch pass have expired and aren’t valid passes anymore.

* Edited to add - and the value of adding rider switch to all this, even though you still have to spend the time to go through the LL twice, is that Adult 2 can still go through the LL after their return window closes. eg If we arrive at Smuggler’s Run at 12:45 and Adult 1 doesn’t get back til 1:15, then Adult 2 would be SOL without a rider switch pass, even if they had a LL.

Did I get that right? 😅

Last edited:
I see… so let me explain a hypothetical situation to see if I’m understanding the “accelerating+rider switch” strategy correctly:

Let’s say the 2 adults in my party book a LL for MMRR for 8-9 am, which immediately breaks down and gives us each a “gold” MEP. Once we have an MEP I can then book us 2 LLs for, say, Smuggler’s Run at 12-1 pm. Even though it’s only 9 am, we could walk over to Smuggler’s Run LL, scan our ticket barcodes, and also ask for a rider switch pass. Adult 1 would go through the LL while Adult 2 stays with the toddler. After Adult 1 is done riding, Adult 2 should *immediately*proceed to the LL entrance and scan her ticket barcode to ride.

However, if either 1) we let our original 12-1 pm LL window pass for Smuggler’s Run without tapping in, OR 2) Adult 2 doesn’t tap in to Smuggler’s Run within the rider switch window (which is an hour? Two hours?), then the system will take the MEP rather than the LL or the rider switch pass for Adult 2 - because the LL and rider switch pass have expired and aren’t valid passes anymore.

Did I get that right? 😅
Kind of… if you let your LL window pass, then it would take the MEP when you tap in. For the other part, rider switch generally doesn’t have an end time, it’s more that it’ll say it’s valid after a certain time. Usually it’s not an issue, but say the first group finishes really quickly and the rider switch start time hasn’t come up yet, if you tap before that time then it would take your MEP.

In this situation though, where it’s 2 adults and a toddler and you’re accelerating a much later LL and have no risk of missing your window, I don’t know if you really need to set up rider switch. It would just enable you to book your next LL sooner since you could book it right after you set up the rider switch, rather than after the second person taps into the ride. We usually use rider switch if our older kids want to ride more than once.

Kind of… if you let your LL window pass, then it would take the MEP when you tap in. For the other part, rider switch generally doesn’t have an end time, it’s more that it’ll say it’s valid after a certain time. Usually it’s not an issue, but say the first group finishes really quickly and the rider switch start time hasn’t come up yet, if you tap before that time then it would take your MEP.

In this situation though, where it’s 2 adults and a toddler and you’re accelerating a much later LL and have no risk of missing your window, I don’t know if you really need to set up rider switch. It would just enable you to book your next LL sooner since you could book it right after you set up the rider switch, rather than after the second person taps into the ride. We usually use rider switch if our older kids want to ride more than once.
Got it! That kind of takes the pressure off. Thanks for explaining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter