• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First WDW Visit for College Girl 22 with her friend and Parents

disadventurer

DIS Veteran
Please help....wrestling with decision. My DD21, friend age 22 (first timer to WDW) and us adults 57 & 60. Currently, have room booked at Old Key West, but it seems it will be a regular experience and not a fun time for a 22 year old first timer. Am I not seeing my kids get old and they will see this as childish? Having gone since 1971 (as a child) I have seen Disney progress and am always excited to go to Disney. What do you think, please? Thanks in advance for all honest opinions!:worship::worship::wizard::wizard:

I'm sorry, but are you asking if OKW seems childish or if the trip to WDW is childish?

What do you mean by a regular experience?

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you are asking here?? What is the decision that you are wrestling with?

Sorry for the confusion. We currently have a room booked at OKW. Was thinking about the Lion King Suites at Art of Animation instead. My bad.
Thanks in advance.:goodvibes:goodvibes

OKW is a dvc resort - so it is no childish.

do you have a 2-bedroom, 1-bedroom, or studio?

a studio has 2 queen beds plus a kitchenette - which should appeal to 22 years old

1-bedroom has master with king bed, in the living room is a queen sleeper sofa and chair bed (not sure it twin or double). It has a completely kitchen, really nice balcony with table and chairs, laundry room, whirlpool tub and shower stall in the master bath, laundry room.

you can park you car a few feet from your villa.

now if you don't have a car - there are 5 bus stops in oKW - so you should be near one of them.

here a description and some pictures
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resorts/okw.htm

Thank you. Currently, I am booked in a studio for Spring Break first week in March. Balcony is a plus. Worried two girls in one queen, one bathroom. Would you say the resort is bigger than Coronado? Do the boats stop for DTD? How are the quiet pools? Are they deep? Do they have any services like lunch or pool bar at the quiet pools or just main pool? This resort seemed to strike me as grandparents with little ones personality and that's fine. Just not sure it's right for these girls...maybe too quiet. Great for us though!!!!:goodvibes:goodvibes

Thank you. Currently, I am booked in a studio for Spring Break first week in March. Balcony is a plus. Worried two girls in one queen, one bathroom. Would you say the resort is bigger than Coronado? Do the boats stop for DTD? How are the quiet pools? Are they deep? Do they have any services like lunch or pool bar at the quiet pools or just main pool? This resort seemed to strike me as grandparents with little ones personality and that's fine. Just not sure it's right for these girls...maybe too quiet. Great for us though!!!!:goodvibes:goodvibes

I haven't stayed at OKW but yes it is bigger then CSR, and yes they do have a boat to DTD.

OKW looks very nice. Check out pics & fact sheet on Allears.net. But, you & your husband may feel more comfortable having your own bedroom, I'd pic a 1 bdrm at OKW or the Lion King Suite at AoA.

We stayed at OKW a couple of years ago: my oldest daughters were seniors in High School, and they still say it's one of their favorite resorts. (they are actually going down with friends after this semester is over and staying at Coronado..we didn't have enough points to let them do OKW!)

The pool area is really nice: big, and deep enough to swim in even for adults. The only downside is the food. There is no real quick service restaurant here: there is basically a window with some picnic tables outside. You can take the food from the window to enjoy over by the pool, but the food isn't the greatest. One of the quiet pools has the Turtle Shack which is open seasonally, but I believe also has limited food offerings.

The rooms are very large, but I would personally go for the 1 bedroom if you can swing it.

We have a similar trip planned this spring. We have a studio booked at OKW (for the two of us on our DVC points) and I booked a value room (with the spring discount) for our son and his friend. They are 20 and 21 and have been there often. We'll touch base during the day and probably eat a few meals together. Then we head to the beach for a week in a two bedroom timeshare. I'm gonna bet they are going to enjoy the time without us while we are at WDW.

We stayed at AKL in one room with myself, DH, my ILs and my DS (under 3)

I am very close to my ILs, and it was fine, but it was a little harder for FIL and myself.

IMHO, I think a suite or just two rooms at a value would be preferable for the makeup of your party (or a 1 bedroom at OKW). A week of sharing a small room and a bathroom with someone else's parents might be too much for your DD's friend

We stayed at AKL in one room with myself, DH, my ILs and my DS (under 3)

I am very close to my ILs, and it was fine, but it was a little harder for FIL and myself.

IMHO, I think a suite or just two rooms at a value would be preferable for the makeup of your party (or a 1 bedroom at OKW). A week of sharing a small room and a bathroom with someone else's parents might be too much for your DD's friend

Can you even change at this point? March is busy Spring Break time.
OKW has the largest rooms on property for sure. That said, I would want 2 rooms if possible
Good Luck

Thanks for all your input and great ideas. We have decided on AOA and booked a lion king suite. The beds and bathroom situation won me over. Never stayed at OKW but someday I guess. Approximately $46 more with a passholder discount for animation, but the configuration and the no extra person charges were another consideration with staying at a deluxe level.

AM bathroom can be a tricky thing, and our area is separate from them, so they can stay up all night or come in later than us. Win-win! Try to get together for dinners at the very least.

Everyone have a great time on your vacation:wizard::wizard:

Would you say the resort is bigger than Coronado? Do the boats stop for DTD? How are the quiet pools? Are they deep? Do they have any services like lunch or pool bar at the quiet pools or just main pool?

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. You would be hard pressed to find any pool at WDW deeper than about 5 feet.
4. There is a snack bar at the Turtle Pond pool. It is not always open. No as to the other pools. The quick service area at the main pool is currently operating but is under renovation. It will be finished by the time you go.
5. If your young women enjoy beaches, pools and a convivial atmosphere, they will enjoy it. If they are looking for nightlife, not at the resort. DTD is not far away. The boat stops running at 11 but there will be buses until 2 AM or so. Not sure why you might consider AoA, which is themed far more with young children in mind, less "childish" than OKW. However, I think you might want the extra space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter