first WDW vacation - HELLLPPPP!!!!

momo4

Earning My Ears
Please Help!! I am travelling to Orlando for 7 days July 14. My husband and 4 kids (ages 13,12,19 -girls and 5 - boy). We will be meeting several family members there. We are staying off site (although I wish I would have read this board prior - it appears we're missing out) We are renting a condo. Anyway, I am completely overwhelmed at everything. Can anyone help me with an agenda? What are the best ways to save money? What other advice do you have? Tell me where to start, I am spinning my wheels and wasting LOTS of time!!! Thank you!!:confused:

You might want to get a copy of Birnbaum's book on WDW. I usually buy copies for friends who have never been. It will give you an idea of what you would like to see and do. Whatever you decide, try not to do it commando-style. You probably won't be able to see and do everything you want but that just gives you an excuse to go back.

Good luck and most of all, have fun!

Cyn

If you are staying in a condo, I'm guessing you'll have a kitchen. I'd do some meals in, and make sure I had lots of snacks and water bottles to take to the parks. That will save you a chunk there!

Calm down...you are already ahead of 90% of the people who will also be there because you found the DIS and will learn quite a bit before you go.

For the size of your group, you might have done the right thing by renting the condo....you can always check out www.mousesavers.com and see what kind of deals you can find...if you find better than you've already got, it's probably not too late to switch. Mousesavers has tons of money saving tips, as well as here on the DIS.

As far as and agenda/itinerary goes, my best advice is to purchase a good guide book and figure out your "must do/sees" and plan around those...everything else will be icing on the cake.

Also, going with a big group also posses some issues such as some what to do this, some what to do that. Try to have a meeting before you go or talk over the phone....be willing to split up. Send a couple grown ups with the little ones and do the things they'd like and send a couple grown ups with the older ones to do what they like...then meet up later for a meal or whatever. The main thing is to be willing to go off in your own directions.

Arrive at the parks at least 1/2 hour before opening...you can get alot done before the crowds arrive. If you're not staying too far from the parks, you can take a break at your condo during the hottest/crowdedest time of the afternoon...swim/nap, then come back around 3 or 4 o'clock. If you're too far away to do that, you can take the monorail to one of the resorts, have lunch and chill out a bit before you hit it again.

Take the clues from the kids, if they get hot/tired leave the park and regroup...if you make it back, you make it back...if not, at least you're still enjoying yourselves and you're not experiencing "park meltdown".

You've still got some time....everything will be fine. Don't be shy about asking questions....we all like to help.

Have fun!

Thank you all so much for responding. I was so frustrated at the time I posted, I just logged off afterwards not wanting to think anymore. I have a book I got at Half Price books when I went looking for the Birnbaum's book. (I had heard of it) Since it was recommended by Katie Couric, I bought it when I couldn't find Birnbaum's (I"M such a sucker for gimmicks!) Anyway, it's by Kim Wright Kelly and it's called Walt Disney World with Kids. It suggested not spending any one day in one park - too much walking, too much watching, etc. if you stay in one place. Do you agree? If so, how do you recommend we "park hop". I guess that's what I mean about planning an agenda. I don't know how to dol that efficiently without having ever been there. I also don't know what to see first and how.

Any help would be appreciated. I looked at my thread and realized I listed one of my daughters as 19. She's not! She is 10. Not that helps me any more with a plan. Also, I checked with our condominium and in order to get out it would probably be a stiff penalty. I really wish we could take advantage of all the benefits of staying on sight- especially early entrance days. Again, thank you. I feel as if I may make some progress with your help.

Oh, where do you think the best place to purchase tickets is? Disney store? official ticket center? Also, do you recommend a character breakfast, or is it just a waste? Thank you again!!! comic sans

I have a tip for you. Since you're staying offsite, like i did last time, you won't really be able to go back to your hotel for an afternoon break. So, i suggest you do what i did last trip. Plan one big ( preferably buffet) meal in each park. Make sure the restaurant is air coditioned. You will feel really refreshed after a long time in a nice air conditioned buffet or a regular restaurant. You can see what restaurants are where and mnus on wdwig.com.

ps- I suggest Crystal Palace in MK.:p

...Walt Disney World with Kids. It suggested not spending any one day in one park - too much walking, too much watching, etc. if you stay in one place. Do you agree?

Pretty much. We like to start our first three days with Disney Studios or Animal Kingdom in the mornings, and end those days with Epcot (open later, great fireworks and after Magic Kingdom, the younger one may want to return to MK when spending a lot of time at Epcot). On our 4th day, we go to Magic Kingdom and if the noise level and sun are getting to me in the heat of the afternoon, we switch to any of the other parks with a promise to return to MK the following morning.

If you are all enjoying the park that you've chosen for the morning, just stay - be flexible. :)

Even when we stay offsite, we do usually enjoy an afternoon rest or swim, if the parks are open until at least 8PM. If we run all day for a couple of days, we plan at least one day of rest mid-week (sleep in, late character breakfast at a Disney resort, swim all afternoon or visit a water park, early bedtime).

The afternoon rest breaks do provide an easy time to transition from one park to another though. So remember that whatever time you would have spent in park-hopping can be deducted from the time you spend returning to your condo to rest.

When park-hopping, just drive from one park's parking lot to the other - leave your day's parking pass in the car, since it's good at any Disney parking lot all day long. You only pay once per day.

BTW, with a 5 year old, do take him to see Muppet 3D at Disney Studios BEFORE you visit Honey, I Shrunk...3D at Epcot. Muppet is more benign. When my 5yo twin DSs saw Honey first (and found it scary), later they didn't want to wear the 3D glasses at Muppet. :(

If your 5yo is adventurous and tall enough, he will be able to enjoy almost everything his older sisters can enjoy. Ours did! Exceptions may include:
MK - Alien Encounter and perhaps Splash
DS - Rock N Roller and perhaps Tower of Terror

And don't let the preteens and young teen convince you that they are too old or too cool for attractions like Little Mermaid, Muppets 3D, Country Bear Jamboree or Dinosaur. The special effects and fun presentations can easily make some "less cool" attractions into fast favorites, even for adults.

I also don't know what to see first and how.

When you look at the park maps (are they in that guidebook?), note which attractions offer FastPass in each park. This tells you immediately which are the most popular attractions. Head straight for these early in the mornings and do them first (no FastPass if standby wait time is under 25 minutes or use FastPass if it's over 30 minutes).

Along the way, you'll see that there are other attractions that you will want to return to later, when time allows or when you're waiting for a FastPass window. Choosing a list of a half dozen must-sees (as a family) ahead of time will help you a great deal. Make use of each park's chalk board near the center front of the park, that offers the current wait times for each main attraction, to judge where to go next if you are stumped.

We like to start out with these attractions:
AK - always Kilimanjaro Safari, then Dinosaur or Kali River
MK - once, start with Dumbo and Fantasyland and once, start with Splash/Big Thunder, then Space
DS - Rock N Roller and Tower of Terror
Epcot - always Test Track, as the FastPass fills up early in the day

Bring a change of underwear/shorts/socks for everyone and leave them in the car. It's hot in July but they'll get soaked if you all want and somehow those items don't dry out easily, can cause blisters or chafing.

Also, I checked with our condominium and in order to get out it would probably be a stiff penalty. I really wish we could take advantage of all the benefits of staying on sight- especially early entrance days.

There have been no regular Early Entry days (only isolated, high attendance exceptions) since late 2001. So don't feel you are missing anything with that. MK is still reportedly crowded on Saturdays so try to avoid it then, except to see the evening light parade and fireworks (park hop - it's worth it!).

Note where we've stayed on our Disney trips (in my sig - plenty of both - onsite & offsite). You will have a lovely first visit to Disney! I personally think that you are likely to spend much more time at the parks on a first visit than a repeat visitor would. So it's wise to stay wherever you can afford and not overpay for a Disney resort (in most cases) on a first time visit. JMHO. You will also enjoy and appreciate the added space and quiet of a condo, especially when you want your youngest to rest.

The kitchen will enable you to provide easy, filling, favorite breakfasts inexpensively to start your days. If you take a midday break, you may even find that you can just have an early snacky lunch at the parks, from the carts or quick counter service, then an early kid-friendly (microwavable or pasta) supper in the condo with dessert at the parks later too. This can save a lot over a week! Make use of your freezer by freezing juiceboxes and 3/4-filled water bottles each night - top them off with water before taking them to the parks in the mornings.

where do you think the best place to purchase tickets is?

If you are using the AAA discount, buy them ahead of time at the AAA travel center near you. If you will use the Disney Card, buy them through there or at any Disney counter (like the one in Downtown Disney - no parking fee).

do you recommend a character breakfast, or is it just a waste?

On a first visit, it's a great ice-breaker. It can also take up a LOT of valuable ride-time when lines are usually shortest (meal times), if you do one when in the parks. We liked the character breakfasts at Wilderness Lodge, Grand Floridian and the Poly - fun to see these resorts too. And the dinners at Grand Floridian and the Contemp were great buffets. One of these would be great on the evening you arrive in Orlando, if you don't plan to visit the theme parks that day. We've enjoyed an early dinner buffet with the characters (before 6PM), then took monorail rides to Epcot. By the time we got back to our resort, it was after 9PM and everyone was happily excited to start our vacation at WDW! Enjoy! :)

If your book has touring plans, you might consider using them. We were there last April and used the touring plans in The Passporter (see www.passporter.com).

Actually, the first day we were there we didn't use the touring plan from the book, we just played it by ear. There were six adults, me and my DH, my mom and dad and two brothers, all adults. By the end of the first day my DH and I agreed that we needed a plan for the rest of our week. We felt that we did less walking and got to do everything we wanted to do at least once each day. It really helped us feel that we got the most out of our visit.

The only other piece of advise I can give is to make sure and stop occassionally just to take in your surroundings. WDW is beautifully themed and maintained. Since there is no way you can see it all in one visit, it would be a shame to miss out on the smaller details.

Hope you have a great trip!:cool:

Try doing a character breakfast on a day when you're NOT visiting the parks. Usually the day you arrive is a great day. If you're flying you probably won't arrive until half the park day is gone anyway. It's probably too late for Hoop De Doo, but try another venue. There is a BBQ buffet at Ft Wilderness, you could do that and then go to the free Disney Movie showing there, or a hay ride after that. I had 4 -18 year olds there last Nov. and they did it and loved it! Might be kinda hot in the middle of July, so be sure to bring the mister fans with you, it cut down on some possible complaining!
On our first trip to WDW, my wonderful, and beautiful (words we must ALWAYS use when addressing her!) Auntie Joanne made sure that we saw all the parades and and most of the shows while we were at the parks. They are wonderful and should not be missed. Many times the shows will offer you some air conditioning relaxation, which will be greatly appreciated on a hot day. You can get a schedule of these events at guest relations when you enter the park or go to the www.disneyworld.com site. They will lead you to a calendar with the times of the parades, big shows and fireworks for the days you are going. This is very helpful because you can plan ahead of time for these events. Note that only the BIG (Fantasmic etc.) shows for each park will be listed, additional smaller shows, like Little Mermaid at MGM, will be listed on the park map that you get when you get there. Be sure to see Fantasmic at MGM. You will be in awe! ANd your kids will LOVE IT!
If you have an off day and are going through disney withdrawl, go to downtown disney and let the kids look around. There's a great lego store and more great disney shopping there. Mcdonald's for lunch and more looking! You're 5 yr.old has to see the things outside the lego store- too cute!!! Everyone else will be in awe too. Never knew you could do so much with lego's!!!!!!!!! Great photo-op!
You will have a wonderful time. The best part will be to watch you kids enjoy themselves. Don't worry about doing everything. You won't be able to! Just keep thinking in the back of your head that what you miss now will be what you hit on your next trip- and believe me, there will be another trip, and another, and another.....
One last thing. Why not involve your kids and husband in the planning. Have each one of the older ones read about a specific park and have a family night to discuss what can be done in that park. If you do one park a week, that'll get you right up to when you're gonna be leaving. If that sounds like too much of a hassle, you do it, but still have the family night and you describe the rides- let each of them choose a ride that they really must go on! They have so much fun planning part of this trip. Want more ideas- there are plenty here! Just keep asking questions! GOOD LUCK!
Oh- one more idea. When we took our 3 kids, the BEST thing we did was to buy each one a fanny pack. Inside they kept their own money, that they could buy anything they wanted with, as long as they had the money. We paid for big meals, but snacks etc. came out of their money. It was amazing how well it worked, they all bought souveniers, snacks and still came home with money to spare!

If you're planning all seven days at WDW and there is any chance you might return within the time frame of a year, you might want to consider buying annual passes. I understand the break evenpoint is eight days admissions. Also, those come with some perks (discounts) though I'm not exactly sure what.

As the others noted, a one day park adventure in that heat is too much. If you're not too far from the parks, you might want to go back to the condo for either an afternoon nap/swim. The parks will remain open later during the summer.

Consider meal sharing. Many of the restaurants serve portions way too large for an adult and you might share with one of the children. That won't work at a buffett of course.

There are grocers nearby; someone recently posted directions to a new Publix. Much more reasonable than Goodings (at the Crossroads). There is a Dis outlet nearby for souvenirs.

There were several presentations at each park. The one don't miss is Lion King at the Animal Kingdom. Check the performance times because once they let out, the crowd swarms unto the attractions, the nearby restrooms and eateries. Plan activities around those exit times. And as the others said, use the Fast Pass. Get it early after figuring out which rides you absolutley don't want to miss.

AGENDA and BEST INFO SOURCES
Although I like the Birnbaum guide and am going to buy it, I also use the Unofficial Guide which offers info not found in Birmbaum. Birnbaum is very sweet and loaded with Disney trivia. It's the pep-talk and the Unofficial Guide is the reality check. They take a scientific approach observing and timing attraction lines plus include various touring plans that do work. I'm planning my 8th trip and find these to be the absolute best resources along with www.wdwig.com.

CONDO and FOOD
An offsite condo is great for your group! I've stayed onsite and with 3 kids 10, 8, and 4 we prefer offsite in a condo to give us more breathing room. We stock the frig with frozen pizza, quick sandwich fixins, milk, juice, and ice cream. We eat breakfast before we hit the parks. Since you'll be there while park hours are long you'll have no problem heading back for a mid-day break. Personal space and sanity are more important to us than a Disney themed hotel, and since resort guests no longer get early entrance one of the best perks is gone.

GET THE ORLANDO MAGIC CARD - it's free and available from the tourist board - do a search on google for it. It has tons of dining and attraction discounts.

SAVING $$ ON FOOD IN THE PARKS - Much can be said about this, but we arm the kids with water bottles (use powdered drink mixes like Gatorade) and fanny packs with snacks. This way we don't get complaints about being hungry or thirsty while in line. The Unofficial Guide has great tips on this topic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter