First Timers in the Fall - tips on getting deals/dining with little kids?

K8MAb

Earning My Ears
Hi,

My husband and I are planning to take our 2 girls (ages 6 & 2) to WDW for the first time (for all of us!) this November - either the week of the 12th or 28th.

We are looking at staying on site in a moderate resort - maybe the Port Orleans Riverside or Carribbean, for the week. We picked those because like the option of the spare fold down bed that might let the girls sleep better than sharing.

Right now there is the 25% off tickets deal, but with hotel and dining plan, the cost comes to $3170. We were wondering about the chances of getting more deals added on later? I.e. is it possible to add a hotel discount if that happens later, or if the free dining plan comes up? or switch resorts if deals become available? If anyone knows how this works it would be great. We are hoping that going in a bit of a slower time increase the chances that its a bit cheaper and of course less lines.

Also if anyone has traveled with younger kids, did you find the dining plan worthwhile? I can see it for snacks maybe but I can't really see my kids being into sitting down for a long meal every evening, but I have no idea what to expect with all the dining options out there.

Thanks!
K8

You can buy the tickets with the 25% off, and then potentially add a hotel discount if they come up, but free dining requires the purchase of a full price ticket and room.

Ok thanks - that makes sense. One more question - can you add the dining on later or do you need to book at the same time?

Thanks

Been there with kids that age. Free dinning is always an iffy thing to rely on. If it were me I would probably go with the 25% off tickets now and hope a room discount comes up. What I do not know is if you can exchange your tickets for full price ones if free dinning comes up. I have not run the numbers but the 25% off tickets plus a room discount might be of similar savings to free dinning. I have run the numbers a few times and unless we went to a lot of character meals and otherwise ate the highest priced items and the desserts it was not worth it. You can see the characters at the parks. Avoiding eating at table service every day and ordering groceries to the resort would save $. We bring in beverages and snacks to the parks and sometimes eat breakfast in the room. Others pack a lunch. There is a savings type forum for better ideas.

We have had the regular dining plan a few times (mainly during free dining). We found it to be a lot of food for our family. I ran the numbers and the dining plan saved us money because we ate at a lot of all-you care-to-eat and character meals. Now that the kids are getting bigger, we will not be going to as many of these type of restaurants and will not likely be getting the dining plan in the future.

I would lean more towards buying the tickets at 25% off and watching for a room discount. I am not convinced that the Dining Plan is the best option for everyone. I know some people swear by it, but I also think it really depends on how your family likes to eat and how much too. Last time we stayed on property my ds was in Grade 1 and I budgeted $100 per day for the 3 of us and we were well below most days and that was including plenty of food and some snacks and coffee's and we were still able to eat fairly healthy I think. We had a couple of days we decided on fancier sit down meals (buffet at BOMA, one other) and went a bit over budget, but I think we came out at about $85 to $90 per day average. My ds has always been a big eater too, and none of us felt deprived. I like the flexibility of being able to eat what I want and not be concerned about using dining plan credits.

Thanks everyone - I'm going to go ahead with the 25% off and hope for a hotel discount later. I have heard some horror stories about how expensive food is at disney, but my kids are generally happy with a banana and a yogurt cup so I can't see us needing a lot of high price food - maybe one or two fancy character meals would be enough for us.

I think you are doing the right thing. We have been on the dining plan for our last three trips, and it really is a lot of food. This time we have a great room discount, and have bought the Canadian discount tickets. We will still do a couple of Character meals and a couple of other Table service restaurants, but we now have more freedom (and don't need to have dessert every meal). We always order groceries for breakfast from Garden Grocer (bananas, yogurt, milk, water etc.), as well as bringing some food from home (cereal, granola bars etc.). Helps with cost, but also makes it easier and quicker to get out of the room in the morning and get to the parks.

If you intend to skip the dining plan, 1 adult entree + 2 kids combos should be more than enough food. Wife and I are pretty big eaters (although I'm currently trying to lose some weight) and that kept us fueled... at least until a mid-afternoon treat for her and the kids.

re: your dates....keep in mind the parks get VERY busy once US Thanksgiving rolls around. It's on Thursday, Nov 23 this year.

As for which discount is better - I would suggest booking now at a rate you are content with. You don't have to pay for packages until 30 days out and this will lock in your 25% ticket discount. If free dinign rolls out, crunch your numbers and compare. It requires you to pay full price for tickets and hotel so the numbers could go each way. With a 2 yr old, you are only paying for 3 of you so it is hard to say if the numbers work. I know when I have crunched the numbers for 4 people (particularly staying in a value), free dining has trumped every other discount by far.

I think you are doing the right thing. We have been on the dining plan for our last three trips, and it really is a lot of food. This time we have a great room discount, and have bought the Canadian discount tickets. We will still do a couple of Character meals and a couple of other Table service restaurants, but we now have more freedom (and don't need to have dessert every meal). We always order groceries for breakfast from Garden Grocer (bananas, yogurt, milk, water etc.), as well as bringing some food from home (cereal, granola bars etc.). Helps with cost, but also makes it easier and quicker to get out of the room in the morning and get to the parks.

Thanks! I love the idea of ordering some groceries, that will definitely help :)

re: your dates....keep in mind the parks get VERY busy once US Thanksgiving rolls around. It's on Thursday, Nov 23 this year.

Thanks - I was looking at a chart somewhere that showed the week of the 28th as less busy but hadn't thought of US Thanksgiving. We were hoping to see all the christmas-y stuff but definitely avoid the crowds.

If you intend to skip the dining plan, 1 adult entree + 2 kids combos should be more than enough food. Wife and I are pretty big eaters (although I'm currently trying to lose some weight) and that kept us fueled... at least until a mid-afternoon treat for her and the kids.

Thanks - I do keep hearing the portions are big so that will help us - and my kids would probably rather have more snacks than sitting down for a longer dinner.

We have taken our kids when they were 4 and 5. They are now 9 and 10. We have always gotten the dinning plan. It makes us take a break in the afternoon (I tend to keep everyone moving all day).It also made it easier for us not to worry about food. If I remember correctly you will not need to get the dining plan for your 2 year old. I think they charge you when kids are 3. Your little one will be able to eat off of your plate.

We have gone on Free dining a few times. If you get a discount on hotel and tickets it might be better to go that route. Free Dining you have to pay full price for hotel and tickets.

We love staying at POR, the resort is great and the food court saves us a ton of money!
A make-your-own pasta with a salad and garlic bread feeds the four of us. We'll get fruit/yogurt for the boys for dessert and they're happy.....occasionally a cupcake or 2 'accidentally' fall on to my tray too :confused3

We also save money by sharing a couple of QS meals for lunch. If anyone is still hungry after then we'all grab a fruit cup or something but it's very rare that we need to.

I order cereal, water and snacks (like granola bars, apples etc) from Garden Grocer - mainly because my boys are early risers so it means they can eat breakfast while DH and I shower etc in peace....starting my days at 05:30 while on vacation just isn't ok so I need to go slow!

We have never done the dining plan because I don't think it would be of good value for us. We have five kiddos, and never order a meal for each person-it is just too much food. We typically order and eat family style and share things. Plus, I find at least one meal a day the kids aren't very hungry and I would go crazy with the waste-my kids tend to snack more, meal less so it just doesn't fit our eating style well. Plus, if I get groceries I am better able to control some healthy foods here and there. I am all for treats on holidays, but dessert at each meal and the constant chicken nuggets/hot dogs my kids wind up with at counter service is too much. Groceries at least let's me add in some fruit and veggies here and there, and control costs.

So as you see you can get choice from both sides. We have done both and continue to do both. What you have right now is he luxury of deciding on meals a little later. Buy you tickets now. Free dining doesnt show up in Nov too often. I would book PO over CB all day. Stayed at both. CB is a huge resort and not a fan of their food court. Love PO either one River or French.
For the dining first see where you want to eat. If this is the first time and dont think you will be heading back soon. Load up on he buffetts and charchter dinning. Well Dining plan will pay for itself. Plus is you youngest 2 now or 2 when you go, as others have said. Free under 3. So factor that into cost including your tickets.
As said we have done both but we run numbers and when its close we always choose the plan even if its 50 bucks more. The convenice of it is worth it for us. Good luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter