First Timer - How Much Time for MK?

JSS001

Earning My Ears
We are making our first trek to WDW in Jan 2017, and need some help sketching out days. We'll have a total of 5.5 days to spend (including afternoon of arrival). We were thinking of one day each for AK and DHS. Should we allot 2 days, or 2.5 days for MK? It will be me, husband, and a 5yo, and I definitely expect that we will need some hotel downtime/pool time for chunks of each day. We also won't be able to keep going until late every night (good thing we're going in Jan when some things happen earlier!). We just weren't sure whether to take the extra half day for MK, or to split Epcot and do that the arrival afternoon and then another morning. Thanks for your help!

Having been to Disney many times with kids and without MK is worth at least 2.5 days. AK is only a 1/2 day park for us and with all of the closures so is DHS. Looks like you don't have park hoppers but if you decide that you want them they can always be added when you are there at the ticket booths.

I'll say devote 2.5 days to MK for the following reasons

- MK, especially for first timers that want to do as much as possible, is at least a 2 day park

- MK is probably the park that will be most appealing to your 5 year-old.

- You are going in winter and the park closes earlier. Your 2.5 days will equate to the same amount of park time as only 2 days when the park is open later.

- You've stated that you will likely be looking for some downtime at the resort. Doing the half day at MK will help you get 2 full days in.

While it depends on what you like to do, Epcot will probably be a 1/2 day park at best as well. My first trip after decades away was w/ 5yr old, and we felt rushed with only 2 days in MK.

Also, my biggest part of advice for you is check the map during fast pass selection. All I knew was the big "mountain" rides and put them all back to back. We wasted hours waking back and forth across the park.

First, I'd suggest trying not to do chunks of each day at the hotel. I'm not saying you need to run non-stop from 8am to 11pm, but if this is your first visit and you only have 5 days, there is no way you'll see it all even if you did go 12 hours a day. If you take large chunks to hang at the hotel, you're going to miss SO much Buy an umbrella stroller for your 5 year old to help take the stress off him/her. Do what you can. As for the parks, AK, Epcot and HS are still full day parks, or at least 6+ hours each. I'd do one day in each of them and the other 2.5 in Magic Kingdom.

I agree with Klayfish. I would never suggest that any park is a half day park for a first timer without a long, thorough discussion about their interests and a joint look through the maps/attractions list. "Half-day" parks are often considered that because the guest has been there before and doesn't want to repeat some of it, but of course if it's a first-timer, it's all new to you! It certainly is possible that not all parks are for all visitors, but unless you take a look through the attractions, rides and shows and really think some things are of no interest, then I'd devote at least 2 days to MK and 1 each to all 3 other parks.

That remaining half day I'm torn about. Some web sites recommend that you start young ones at any park OTHER than MK just because at the beginning of the trip they'll love anything, whereas once they've seen MK, everything else may pale in comparison. Others really love to start every trip with MK and have probably been talking to their kids about "going to the castle", so you may well need to go there first or face your kid demanding "where's the castle?!" :tilt:

I personally would add it for Epcot. You'll get a taste for it. If you can do it after your travel day, you can either stroll around some of World SHowcase (maybe FP Frozen Ever After or meet the princesses if your daughter is a fan!) enjoy Illuminations. After you've done that half day and one of your MK days, you can decide which park you'll be wanting to spend more time in and adjust accordingly.

I have done MK in one day, but that was solo and I had been to MK at least 15 times before. You and your DH maybe able to power your way around MK, but your 5yo will dictate how much you can do and why try to press too much into one day. Enjoy another ride around the park on the train rather than trying to run to another long wait line. Right now DHS probably takes the least amount of time due to all of the construction and it's just not a large park(acre wise) to begin with. AK has fewer rides to schedule out but it's a huge park(acre wise) and just takes a long time to maneuver around to everything.

I would do 2.5 days. One day can be for rides, one day can be for character meets/parades/shows and your half day can be spent doing the evening stuff like the electrical parade which is a MUST SEE. They won't have the electrical parade every night in January so make sure you set aside your half day for the day that MK will have the parade. Last January when we went it was surprisingly crowded and we didn't get to ride any rides except those we had signed up for FP+. But that's mostly because we had a 3 year old and weren't willing to wait in a line longer than 15 minutes. Your kiddo will probably be a lot better at waiting in line than ours was :)

And maybe it's just me but I much prefer Epcot over Hollywood Studios. In fact, for the past 4 visits we've never bothered with Hollywood Studios because it's mostly shows and our daughter just can't sit still for that. Epcot has live performances at various countries so you can stop and watch or just keep walking, it's up to you. And the Mexican boat ride at Epcot is a classic that we love going on, plus all the delicious food! And the Biergarten is a lovely place to eat and listen to German music. If it were me I'd pick Epcot over HS.

I'd say 2.5 for MK. We were there in June with our 4 and 7 year olds and spent 3 days in MK. We could have easily spent another day there! AK was a 1/2 day (at most!) park for us.

We didn't do DHS (not Star Wars fans and there just wasn't enough for our kids) but my girls LOVED Epcot and asked we add on a second day there next time.

We just came back and celebrated my daughter's 6th birthday. We spent 3 days at MK and 1 day at Epcot, and still didn't do everything in MK that we wanted. It was perfect though! :)

I suggest you spend your arrival 1/2 day at MK. You'll be able to enjoy being there without the rush of "rope drop" and trying to find your way to things before lines build. Take your time gawking at the castle, wandering down main street, taking pictures, and just doing whatever looks like fun. You'll have your 3 FP+ attractions to enjoy, and I'd make them for classic rides like Peter Pan, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Jungle Cruise. You'll also learn the lay of the "lands" and will have a much easier time getting around on rope-drop mornings.

After that, I'd plan 1 day in each park, and keep your last day open. This will give you some juggling room in your schedule in case of rain, tiredness, illness, or such. If no issues, you'll know for sure which park you want more time in. Sure you might have to scramble for FP for that last day, but the scheduling flexibility is worth it in my opinion.

I think AK should definetly deserve a day and not just a half. The reason is the shows there are excellent. Nemo and Lion King are not to be missed. Of course you'll want to do the safari, kali river is loved by all, and there's a whole kid type section of dinoland. Bugs life, the trails with animals and the ride to the affection section, this all takes time, with shows running at certain times. Factor in lunch, and yes maybe it's an earlier day in that you may spend your night at the pool, but no way would I consider it a half day, unless you really have no interest in really seeing what the park has to offer.

For most 5 years old, the Magic Kingdom IS Disney World. So I would go with at least 2.5 days there.

To be honest, in your shoes, I would probably skip DHS. Sure, there's some stuff there you would absolutely enjoy. But if you're not doing parkhoppers, I'm not sure there's enough there to replace all you could be doing in the MK.

In your shoes, I would do arrival day at the MK
A day at Epcot
A day at the MK
A day at AK
A day at the MK
And then probably another day at MK.

Know that pool time can be iffy in January-- everyone I know who has gone over the winter has said that the temperatures vary widely, from almost cold enough for snow to warm enough to swim. And the park hours over the winter are much shorter than the ones we'll be seeing NEXT WEEK :D:P:cool1::cool1:. But know that those breaks will still be important-- 5.5 days is a LOT of walking and a LOT of stimulation, especially for a 5 year old.

Enjoy your planning!

Went with my 5 1/2 yo and 2 1/2 yo 3 years ago. Going back with 8 1/2 and 5 1/2 this fall.

We did arrival afternoon/evening at MK.
Morning/Afternoon AK night at EP
Morning at MK night at EP
Morning/Afternoon HS night at EP
Full day at MK including party at night

This time we're doing a full day at EP, and doing MK party the night we go to AK. HS definitely has a lot of stuff for that age group, Beauty and the Beast show, Little Mermaid Show, now they have Frozen show, and Disney Jr. if yours is still watching that. Toy Story ride is not to be missed.

Shows at AK are also outstanding for that age group. Nemo, Lion King, that one with the birds.

EP doesn't have some of the princess out at night, so that's a downside we're going to fix this time with a full day there.

I'm a big believer in visiting MK first, so I'd do your arrival 1/2 day there. I'd hit the high spots: see Castle, meet Mickey, ride a couple of attractions that the little one will love, and maybe have dinner in the park (Crystal Palace?) and watch Main St. Electrical Parade, Celebrate the Magic, and Wishes.

I suggest you spend your arrival 1/2 day at MK. You'll be able to enjoy being there without the rush of "rope drop" and trying to find your way to things before lines build. Take your time gawking at the castle, wandering down main street, taking pictures, and just doing whatever looks like fun. You'll have your 3 FP+ attractions to enjoy, and I'd make them for classic rides like Peter Pan, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Jungle Cruise. You'll also learn the lay of the "lands" and will have a much easier time getting around on rope-drop mornings.

After that, I'd plan 1 day in each park, and keep your last day open. This will give you some juggling room in your schedule in case of rain, tiredness, illness, or such. If no issues, you'll know for sure which park you want more time in. Sure you might have to scramble for FP for that last day, but the scheduling flexibility is worth it in my opinion.
I think this sounds like a perfect plan for first timers!

I would allocate 2.5 days to MK and 1 day at each of the other parks. When my son was 5, we never did opening to close at the parks. We would have a nice breakfast somewhere (usually a character meal) then hit a park and go until we were tired. Sometimes that was after lunch, sometimes after dinner. Whatever time was left in that day, we would spend at the resort. We only planned one late evening activity the entire trip when he was 4 and then again 5 and the rest of the nights he was in bed pretty much the same time he would be at home. We saw tons on those trips, but were also very well rested which made it enjoyable.

OP I think your plan is perfect, 2.5 days at MK on a 5 day trip is great. Personally I'd do Epcot arrival day because I've found Epcot to be quite underwhelming when you have little ones. You probably might see all you need in half day. Then spend another half day in MK or HS. Despite what people say about HS it's fantastic for the little ones. We ran out of time there on our first trip because everyone said it was a half day park but there was soooo much to do for the small ones. It's now a 1.5-2 day park for us.

Thanks everyone for all of your input! HS is actually a must-do for us, given all the Star Wars stuff. For example, we'll make that one an early arrival day in order to do JTA. Based on a lot of the input, I think our plan will be to go ahead and hit MK on arrival day, to start familiarizing ourselves and make use of another set of FP+ there. We'll then have another 2 days at MK over the trip, and one day each for Epcot, AK, and DHS. If only Disney would release the fireworks and parade schedules 6 months out, so that we could factor all those in to our ADR plans!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter