First timer and a ride wimp - what can I realistically ride at Universal?

oceanmarina

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Heading down to Univeral in a few weeks for our first stay, really excited! :charac4: Doing 4 nights at Universal & 3 at Disney. Our first trip since covid in summer of 2019.

Here's the thing, I'm a ride wimp. I'm worried that I won't be able to ride much over at Universal.

Here's what I can tolerate at Disney (the most intense rides I can do):

Soarin' - my favorite ride
Slinky Dog Dash at Hollywood Studios - although I hang on for dear life

I had trouble tolerating:

I HATED Test Track (way too fast for me)
7 Dwarfs Mine Train - too much for me, also I found it to be a very rough ride (Some people argue that Slinky is more intense than 7DMT, maybe I just dislike that coaster.)

I'm not a big coaster person - Everest would probably give me a coronary. Not joking. I haven't yet worked my way up to Big Thunder. Twilight Zone Tower of Terror was a hard no for me, too much. (I did not ride it).

For the most part I'm ok with spinning, I can do the Teacups ride (and my kids always spin it like crazy!)

Any suggestions for rides would be appreciated!

Thanks for any feedback or advice, Marina :cutie:

There are plenty of slow rides and simulators. Don't worry there is always something for everybody. My mom wont ride anything faster than the peoplemover lol. I personally hate the simulators, they make me sick because of the big screens that give me headaches, but my family really enjoy those. Harry potter and the forbidden journey is kind of Soarin, the cart moves along a rail and back and forth a lot more, I really enjoy it tho. E.T. is like Peter Pan at Disney, you sit on a bike and flight over the city, I love that ride

Simulators - My favorite: Harry potter forbidden journey
The one from Jimmy Fallon
Minions
Transformers
Fast n furious
The Simpsons
King kong

Dark rides - My favorite: ET
Men in black
Spider man

There is also the Howarts Express that conects both parks. But you can only ride it if you get a park-to-park ticket

For sure skip:
Rip Ride Rocket
Velocicoaster
Hulk
Dr Doom's Fearfall (drop tower)

Most likely skip:
Jurassic Park River Adventure
Dudley Doright flume

Consider Hagrids, especially if you're a Harry Potter fan, but really even if you aren't. No major drops, lots of speed, animatronics & neat elements along the way.

Nothing else should be a problem.

Universals problem is more with motion sickness than down right fear on 80% of the rides.

*Stay away from the big 3 Coasters -of course
then:
*Dr Dooms Fall
*Hagrids Motorbike (if you don’t like Test Tracks speed, you will not like it)
*The Mummy

Gringotts, if you can handle BTMR you can “handle” Gringotts. It starts out with a short fall. But it is in the dark for the coaster/fast parts. If you wanted to challenge yourself this would be the ride to do that on. Ride in the front. All coasters are more scary in the back.

An honorable mention for scary is Dudley Do Rite Falls. It is a water flume ride (I know being a water ride can make a difference) but it is fast and does have several falls.

If you can ride Splash Mountain you can handle Jurassic Park. Again just ride in the front.

That is all I can think of as far as scary. Again Universal is the motion sickness capital of the world (for me) not really tons of scary large coasters.

Do at least try the Hippogriff kiddie coaster in Harry Potter. It is fast but very quick, like Barnstormer in Magic Kingdom. It really is worth challenging yourself….. if you do fine on it, then consider Gringotts. If you really don’t like the Hippogriff then don’t attempt Gringotts.

Last edited:
We are ride wimps don’t go on roller coasters or anything with a drop but are big fans of the motion simulator rides at Disney. We spent 2 nights at Universal before Disney in November and absolutely loved it. Prior to the trip we got the prescription motion sickness patches you put behind the ear and leave on for 3 days as we heard some of them are more intense at Universal than the ones at Disney and we did not know if we would have an issue which might be a good idea for you so you can enjoy and not worry. In case you need it Minions has non moving seats. In addition to rides we saw the animal actors, horror makeup, and Bourne shows plus the afternoon parade and the cinematic one at night. Not sure if they do this now but they also had projections on Hogwarts. We only had a day and a half so did not get to do everything we wanted but had an amazing time. We liked how we did not have to do much planning. We stayed at Portofino so had the express pass and could just go with the flow. We did not make any dining reservations ate mostly at CS but did one TS dinner at Finnegan’s.

I'm a ride wimp too. I do not do roller coasters at all. I can do a majority of the rides. I can only do Forbidden Journey so many times before I get sick. There are lots of nice calm rides like ET and most of the rides in Suess Landings. Shockingly I liked Hagrids.

I would check out Videos on youtube so that You won't be surprised.

Last edited:

Overall I'd say you have lots of options. Obviously the big three coasters of Hulk, Rip Ride Rockit, and Velocicoaster would be no go's for you as they are all large and intense. Mummy is a smaller scale indoor coaster but it is launched with some quick transitions and while it's a very different ride, based on your thoughts for Test Track it probably wouldn't be good either.

Hagrid's would be a grey area. It is a coaster that goes up to 50 (Test Track goes to 65 so it is slower than it), but it stay low to the ground for the most part so there are no big drops and it is a very smooth ride. If you can handle Slink Dog Dash you should be fine on this.

If you like Splash Mount, Dudley Do Rights is pretty much the same. Jurassic Park River adventure is mostly a slow moving boat ride with one big drop at the end, so if you can handle just the one quick drop then it should be fine.

Outside of this it is mostly simulators and dark rides. Gringotts has coaster like elements but it is really more of a dark ride. Mostly just two small coaster sections at the beginning and end (only real drop on it is about 30 feet so fairly short and top speed is only 25 mph). Forbidden Journey is a more intense dark ride that moves you around a lot to the extent that it has coaster like restraints but it is still a dark ride so if its speed and drops that keep you from coasters you will be fine on it as it is still a slow moving dark ride.

Can you do Splash Mountain? Dudley Do-Rights is a little more extreme but broadly similar to the big drop.

Can you do Star Tours? If so Spider-Man and Transformers should be fine.

Forbiddon Journey depends on your motion sickness level too.

There are quite a few things you can do, if you set your mind to doing them.

What I'd say is to start small. Start with something like E.T, then pat yourself on the back for each new thing you try. Mentally: If I could do THAT, then I can try the next thing.

Keep in mind, each ride is only a few minutes long. You might not love each one, but it is only a few minutes long.

Another option is to re-ride the attractions you enjoy. Like for MIB go again to raise your score.

In my opinion, Slinky is more intense than 7DMT. The reason you may have found 7D more intense is that the front of a coaster is almost always tamer than the back seats, unless the ride goes backwards or something unusual like that. You can usually request to sit in the front seat. (Or near the front, if that is easier.) Most enthusiasts prefer the more intense rear.

If you dislike 7D, then Hagrid's is probably a bit much for your first day. On the other hand, ride fear is often mind over matter. One calming trick is to count in your head, especially during the intense parts. If you know the 'intense' part is only 4 seconds long, then you have control. Often fear is about lack of control. So the trick is often to find a way to gain control.

So like on Test Track, you probably were okay on most of the ride, just not the last part. So one way to gain control is to focus on the parts you like, and keep mentally minimizing the small part you don't like. The 'fast' part is just a short part of the ride.

The more times you conquer any ride, the less you will fear it. So if you find a ride you can 'tolerate,' consider re-riding it - perhaps even right away. the idea is to de-sensitize yourself over time.

I think it also REALLY helps to be well hydrated. not quite full, but not empty stomach either. If ever ride intensity/spinning starts to get to you, sometimes a little sugar helps. Gummy bears are great for this. (though maybe not while ON a ride.)

Also at Universal, consider the non-rides. I highly suggest getting one of the interactive wands after seeing the little wand show. Well worth the $, especially if you will be returning to US. Universal also has some neat gift shops. There is one.. I always forget exact location, but it is near the Horror make-up show, and sells props. Fun place to look.

Another option is to convince yourself to walk through just the queue of every attraction. You can then request the chicken exit. The more times you conquer a ride queue, the more comfortable you'll be with that space, and in many cases you still get to see some really neat stuff. I highly encourage you to do this for the new Velocicoaster. Exit when you get to the lockers. But DO see the animatronic dino in the queue. Hulk and Dudley queue are not exciting, but Velocicoaster is fun to see.

For Minions, you can request stationary seating. If you mention it right away (to front staff member), you will likely be directed to side entrance, which has a MUCH shorter wait. For Jimmy Fallon, closing your eyes solves much of the motion. Again though, the preshow is worth your time. It is almost the highlight of the show.

You can likely handle Spiderman. It is a really neat ride. You'll also like the Hogwart's Express- in both directions.

Smaller Hippogriff and Woody Woodpecker coaster are almost IDENITCAL to Goofy's Barnstormer. They are both small and very short rides. Hippogriff is slightly more intense, but the scenery is SO cool! And very much a kiddie coaster. Tamer than 7D/Slinky.

In my opinion forbidden Journey is a bit intense if you have motion sickness. There's one part where your cart really tips. It is mostly slow moving though, and much of the motion is via screens, so you might tolerate it. DO see the queue though, as that is really a highlight of the attraction.

Oh, at Universal, if you don't want to ride, many rides have a waiting room at the top of the queue by the ride. That is how they do child swap. It is different from WDW. While you are not riding, you can at least sit in AC room. It also might make it easier for your family to ride without you + have a very easy way to meet up after they ride. (I think they will let you use the room without a toddler companion.) On a few rides, like Hulk, you can maybe help family avoid the lockers by holding their stuff. You can go on the nearby teacups (called Storm Force Accelatron) while they ride Hulk.

Last edited:
Can you do Splash Mountain? Dudley Do-Rights is a little more extreme but broadly similar to the big drop.

Can you do Star Tours? If so Spider-Man and Transformers should be fine.

Forbiddon Journey depends on your motion sickness level too.

Hi, no Splash Mountain is a no go for me, way too much of a drop.

The biggest drop I did was Frozen Ever After in Epcot (which I got a little nervous on during the drop). I am hoping to do Kali Rapids this trip (although i'm not sure how much more intense that drop is compared to Frozen Ever After).

There are quite a few things you can do, if you set your mind to doing them.

What I'd say is to start small. Start with something like E.T, then pat yourself on the back for each new thing you try. Mentally: If I could do THAT, then I can try the next thing.

Keep in mind, each ride is only a few minutes long. You might not love each one, but it is only a few minutes long.

Another option is to re-ride the attractions you enjoy. Like for MIB go again to raise your score.

In my opinion, Slinky is more intense than 7DMT. The reason you may have found 7D more intense is that the front of a coaster is almost always tamer than the back seats, unless the ride goes backwards or something unusual like that. You can usually request to sit in the front seat. (Or near the front, if that is easier.) Most enthusiasts prefer the more intense rear.

If you dislike 7D, then Hagrid's is probably a bit much for your first day. On the other hand, ride fear is often mind over matter. One calming trick is to count in your head, especially during the intense parts. If you know the 'intense' part is only 4 seconds long, then you have control. Often fear is about lack of control. So the trick is often to find a way to gain control.

So like on Test Track, you probably were okay on most of the ride, just not the last part. So one way to gain control is to focus on the parts you like, and keep mentally minimizing the small part you don't like. The 'fast' part is just a short part of the ride.

The more times you conquer any ride, the less you will fear it. So if you find a ride you can 'tolerate,' consider re-riding it - perhaps even right away. the idea is to de-sensitize yourself over time.

I think it also REALLY helps to be well hydrated. not quite full, but not empty stomach either. If ever ride intensity/spinning starts to get to you, sometimes a little sugar helps. Gummy bears are great for this. (though maybe not while ON a ride.)

Also at Universal, consider the non-rides. I highly suggest getting one of the interactive wands after seeing the little wand show. Well worth the $, especially if you will be returning to US. Universal also has some neat gift shops. There is one.. I always forget exact location, but it is near the Horror make-up show, and sells props. Fun place to look.

Another option is to convince yourself to walk through just the queue of every attraction. You can then request the chicken exit. The more times you conquer a ride queue, the more comfortable you'll be with that space, and in many cases you still get to see some really neat stuff. I highly encourage you to do this for the new Velocicoaster. Exit when you get to the lockers. But DO see the animatronic dino in the queue. Hulk and Dudley queue are not exciting, but Velocicoaster is fun to see.

For Minions, you can request stationary seating. If you mention it right away (to front staff member), you will likely be directed to side entrance, which has a MUCH shorter wait. For Jimmy Fallon, closing your eyes solves much of the motion. Again though, the preshow is worth your time. It is almost the highlight of the show.

You can likely handle Spiderman. It is a really neat ride. You'll also like the Hogwart's Express- in both directions.

Smaller Hippogriff and Woody Woodpecker coaster are almost IDENITCAL to Goofy's Barnstormer. They are both small and very short rides. Hippogriff is slightly more intense, but the scenery is SO cool! And very much a kiddie coaster. Tamer than 7D/Slinky.

In my opinion forbidden Journey is a bit intense if you have motion sickness. There's one part where your cart really tips. It is mostly slow moving though, and much of the motion is via screens, so you might tolerate it. DO see the queue though, as that is really a highlight of the attraction.

Oh, at Universal, if you don't want to ride, many rides have a waiting room at the top of the queue by the ride. That is how they do child swap. It is different from WDW. While you are not riding, you can at least sit in AC room. It also might make it easier for your family to ride without you + have a very easy way to meet up after they ride. (I think they will let you use the room without a toddler companion.) On a few rides, like Hulk, you can maybe help family avoid the lockers by holding their stuff. You can go on the nearby teacups (called Storm Force Accelatron) while they ride Hulk.

Thanks so much for the good advice, I really appreciate it, I am putting Spiderman on my list! The child swap sounds great, and yes I am going to be the one holding everything!

Hi, no Splash Mountain is a no go for me, way too much of a drop.

The biggest drop I did was Frozen Ever After in Epcot (which I got a little nervous on during the drop). I am hoping to do Kali Rapids this trip (although i'm not sure how much more intense that drop is compared to Frozen Ever After).

Thanks so much for the good advice, I really appreciate it, I am putting Spiderman on my list! The child swap sounds great, and yes I am going to be the one holding everything!
Kali drop is nothing. While I can't speak for you personally, most people are so focused on getting wet/not getting wet when riding, that they are not paying much attention to anything else.

For Splash...it will soon be gone. Might be worth doing it once. The big drop looks bad, but it is only about 4 seconds of the ride. While you are dropping think - 1Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3Mississippi, 4Mississippi, and you're done. It also helps to SCREAM! The way the ride is set up, it also looks worse than it is.

There are also some small drops inside, but I think only 1 of them is roughly the same size as FEA. (Someone might correct me on technical aspect of that.)

Spiderman is just...it is a few years old now, but the effects are SO neat. It is worth challenging yourself. If any of the screen scenes start to bother you, just close your eyes for a second. Also, try to sit towards the middle of the car. By that I mean which ever row you are assigned, try to be the person in the middle of your row.

Universal has some super rides, and a few that are not that great. The HP areas are super. Spiderman is super. IMO, the bigger Simpson's ride is not that great. Twirl and Hurl is fun, and the area is otherwise fun. The food court though gets bad reviews, and looks terrible, IMO. Except it DOES have a cool mural of all the Simpson's characters. The Taco truck is okay. The nearby crepes kiosk is great though! (past Central Park) The Harry Potter food options are mostly great, except I think Butterbeer is WAY too sweet. The HP ice cream and candy shops are very fun.

So if you're going to try and push your limits, then choose one of the worthy rides.

One last thing, Mummy probably won't be your thing, but it is actually a fairly tame coaster. The worst part is the hard stops. The headrest is HARD, and if you aren't careful you can hit your head on them. It isn't a traditional plain coaster though. It has one fast launch, but the speedy parts are two fairly short bursts. The special effects though are exceptional. If you like Haunted Mansion, Mummy has a bit of the same vibe. The ride also has some funny parts, like the original movie. The queue also has some entertainment value. If you ever work your tolerance up to liking 7DMT, Mummy isn't too far off. It is more intense than Slinky.

I am slightly surprised though you like Slinky, but have not tried Big Thunder.

You might find it helpful to look at a website called the roller coaster database. It lists very factual information about every coaster everywhere. So top hill lift, top speed, ride elements, ride length, etc.

Definitely try gringotts! I am a mess on slinky,
7D, the mountains, etc and I like gringotts. It’s one drop at the beginning that’s really not bad and it’s a fun ride. I am going on Sept and psyching myself up to try Hagrids- I’m scared! King Kong is fun and not scary. Forbidden Journey made me really queasy. ET will always be my favorite lol.

Kali drop is nothing. While I can't speak for you personally, most people are so focused on getting wet/not getting wet when riding, that they are not paying much attention to anything else.

For Splash...it will soon be gone. Might be worth doing it once. The big drop looks bad, but it is only about 4 seconds of the ride. While you are dropping think - 1Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3Mississippi, 4Mississippi, and you're done. It also helps to SCREAM! The way the ride is set up, it also looks worse than it is.

There are also some small drops inside, but I think only 1 of them is roughly the same size as FEA. (Someone might correct me on technical aspect of that.)

Spiderman is just...it is a few years old now, but the effects are SO neat. It is worth challenging yourself. If any of the screen scenes start to bother you, just close your eyes for a second. Also, try to sit towards the middle of the car. By that I mean which ever row you are assigned, try to be the person in the middle of your row.

Universal has some super rides, and a few that are not that great. The HP areas are super. Spiderman is super. IMO, the bigger Simpson's ride is not that great. Twirl and Hurl is fun, and the area is otherwise fun. The food court though gets bad reviews, and looks terrible, IMO. Except it DOES have a cool mural of all the Simpson's characters. The Taco truck is okay. The nearby crepes kiosk is great though! (past Central Park) The Harry Potter food options are mostly great, except I think Butterbeer is WAY too sweet. The HP ice cream and candy shops are very fun.

So if you're going to try and push your limits, then choose one of the worthy rides.

One last thing, Mummy probably won't be your thing, but it is actually a fairly tame coaster. The worst part is the hard stops. The headrest is HARD, and if you aren't careful you can hit your head on them. It isn't a traditional plain coaster though. It has one fast launch, but the speedy parts are two fairly short bursts. The special effects though are exceptional. If you like Haunted Mansion, Mummy has a bit of the same vibe. The ride also has some funny parts, like the original movie. The queue also has some entertainment value. If you ever work your tolerance up to liking 7DMT, Mummy isn't too far off. It is more intense than Slinky.

I am slightly surprised though you like Slinky, but have not tried Big Thunder.

You might find it helpful to look at a website called the roller coaster database. It lists very factual information about every coaster everywhere. So top hill lift, top speed, ride elements, ride length, etc.

Thanks! Slinky I have my eyes closed for half of it and I hold on for dear life! :o I though Big Thunder was more intense than Slinky?
Definitely try gringotts! I am a mess on slinky,
7D, the mountains, etc and I like gringotts. It’s one drop at the beginning that’s really not bad and it’s a fun ride. I am going on Sept and psyching myself up to try Hagrids- I’m scared! King Kong is fun and not scary. Forbidden Journey made me really queasy. ET will always be my favorite lol.

Thanks for the feedback! Yep ET is on my list. I only wish JAWS was still there, I would have done that for sure - especially since Shark week is such a big thing! I will put Kong on my list as well. Good luck with Hagrids, you will do great! Keep us posted!

I really appreciate all the great advice; :lovestruc I feel a lot less intimidated and feel that there will be enough that I can do within my wimpy comfort level. I will do some live posts with pictures in the park when we get there next Friday.

Sky High Trolley - make sure to do both sides
ET
CAT In the Hat
Hogwarts train both directions
Twirl a hurl
Poisedens fury
Men In black
Animal show
Horror makeup show
Bourne show
Kong
Jimmy Fallon
Popeyes if you want to get soaked
Minions

I’d try spiderman. It is soooo good and if you don’t enjoy it then you know.

What I mention above are tame or shows. I also do gringotts and forbidden journey but those sound like they may be more than you want.

I also love people watching while my son and husband do the coasters.

Another tame ride is Fast & Furious, it's basically the US equivalent of Kong. Similar tram style ride vehicle, no drops, just screen stuff on either side. Pretty lame story, it's totally a one and done for most people. Nice queue for sports car fans.

There are plenty of slow rides and simulators. Don't worry there is always something for everybody. My mom wont ride anything faster than the peoplemover lol. I personally hate the simulators, they make me sick because of the big screens that give me headaches, but my family really enjoy those. Harry potter and the forbidden journey is kind of Soarin, the cart moves along a rail and back and forth a lot more, I really enjoy it tho. E.T. is like Peter Pan at Disney, you sit on a bike and flight over the city, I love that ride

Simulators - My favorite: Harry potter forbidden journey
The one from Jimmy Fallon
Minions
Transformers
Fast n furious
The Simpsons
King kong

Dark rides - My favorite: ET
Men in black
Spider man

There is also the Howarts Express that conects both parks. But you can only ride it if you get a park-to-park ticket

Oh boy, I have to really disagree with Forbidden Journey! I rode it once and did not like the quick turning, dipping, and leaning back. I thought we were going to turn over backwards and it terrified me. The constant jerking to screens made me nauseous. I would definitely Not call it an easy ride, and I am not a ride wimp at all.
The Gringotts ride, however, is fantastic and I have no problem on it.
I just wouldn't give the OP the impression that FJ is not a jerky, scary ride, IMO, and many others opinions. I can do any ride at Universal except FJ and coasters ( don't like coasters)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter