First time to Universal - How much time do we need?

mrsincredible3

Mouseketeer
Hi,
First time posting on the Universal thread....we are finally heading to the dark side! I am having a hard time determining how much time we need to allocate for universal and islands of adventure. We will spend part of the week here and part of the week at the beach. We will be traveling over spring break, I anticipate it being quite busy. We are staying on property and will have the Express pass for all of our days, and will get park-to-park tickets. Party of four with two boys ages 10 and 5, we are interested in seeing everything! Definitely need some time for all of the Harry Potter stuff, will see lots of shows, will ride everything we can. Not planning to do the waterpark, don't do much late night, like to get to the parks early and leave around dinner time, or take a break to swim in the afternoon and then return for a bit in the evening, but we don't stay till park closing typically. We may utilize parent swap at rides ds5 can't do (ds10 should be tall enough to ride everything), or we may just split up and take turns riding with ds10. I'm sure the kids will want to swim in the hotel pool while we are there.

Knowing we are on property, have Park to park tickets and express pass, aren't huge shoppers but would like to explore the Potter areas, how many days would be a good amount to see everything without feeling too rushed? We are fairly efficient Park tourers . We are used to having a very detailed itinerary for Disney world and feel like I won't need to do much planning for universal. Is three full days enough to see everything? Can we do it in 2.5? Do we need 5? I figure we will ride everything at least once and see a number of shows since it is our first time. I want our pace to be somewhat relaxed, but I don't want to book for four days if we can see it all in two since we have the express pass. Any thoughts and advice are appreciated, thanks.

Spring break is a crowded time at the parks

Read some of this years trip report forum to see different ways others accomplished everything in the parks

3 would probably be good. Do take advantage of early hours to really enjoy HP stuff without mobs. Head back to it in the evening too- basically skip it midday when it's extra crowded. :)

Our first onsite trip to Universal was similar to what you are doing. We had three days at the beach. There is only so much pure Florida sun and sand we can take. Then we did four days onsite. With the EP's, the family got to see everything with a much reduced pace (compared to WDW).

Having four days, the kids got to ride their favorites multiple times. We had plenty of time to explore and pool hop the resorts (lots of midday breaks). Turned out that the kids liked these days better than the beach. Our next trip was for 7 days onsite. Then 10 days...

Hi I personally like 4 days to take my time and go re do stuff that we like. I agree three would work.

3-4 days for sure. Especially if you plan to do Volcano Bay.
Personally I could spend a whole day in the Potter areas, and there are a ton of other awesome rides and things to do there so it's good to take your time and spread it out over a few days. We also stay at RPR & we're obsessed with the resort and pool so we spend our whole first day there then the other two at the parks

3-4 days for sure. Especially if you plan to do Volcano Bay.
Personally I could spend a whole day in the Potter areas, and there are a ton of other awesome rides and things to do there so it's good to take your time and spread it out over a few days. We also stay at RPR & we're obsessed with the resort and pool so we spend our whole first day there then the other two at the parks

Right now I have three full days planned plus arrival day afternoon and departure day morning. Is this good?

I would say you can get it done in 3 days, but 4 days if you want it to be relaxed.
We went for the first time last year, during a slow period, had EP and spent 4 days in the park and saw almost everything (don't love thrill rides) and repeat our favs.

Right now I have three full days planned plus arrival day afternoon and departure day morning. Is this good?
I think that should be good. Are you planning tickets for all 5 days?

We did 3 days and 1 day at Volcano Bay. 1 days we ONLY did Harry Potter stuff - that took us until like 3p and then we took a break for the rest of the day. We then devoted one day each to IoA and US. Each day, we were done before dinner, having ridden everything we wanted and many things multiple times (and honestly, we could have left both of those days around 3p as well, but I made us stay longer b/c I felt like we'd spent all this $$ on tickets!) When we talked about it afterward, we decided we really only needed 1 or 2 days at Universal next time we go (with a park-to-park pass), and maybe 1 day at Volcano Bay depending on if they've worked out the kinks.

I would say you can get it done in 3 days, but 4 days if you want it to be relaxed.
We went for the first time last year, during a slow period, had EP and spent 4 days in the park and saw almost everything (don't love thrill rides) and repeat our favs.

I think that should be good. Are you planning tickets for all 5 days?
Yes, we will use tickets all five days, it seems very inexpensive to add on days four and five. We like to get there as early as we can and ride until mid afternoon, have a swim and a sit down dinner somewhere.

We did 3 days and 1 day at Volcano Bay. 1 days we ONLY did Harry Potter stuff - that took us until like 3p and then we took a break for the rest of the day. We then devoted one day each to IoA and US. Each day, we were done before dinner, having ridden everything we wanted and many things multiple times (and honestly, we could have left both of those days around 3p as well, but I made us stay longer b/c I felt like we'd spent all this $$ on tickets!) When we talked about it afterward, we decided we really only needed 1 or 2 days at Universal next time we go (with a park-to-park pass), and maybe 1 day at Volcano Bay depending on if they've worked out the kinks.

Sounds like we will have plenty of time then to ride everything multiple times and relax a bit. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter