First time going to Disney as adult! Where to stay?

xamdrob

Earning My Ears
Me,wife, and soon to be 5 year old boy...Looking from sept to Dec.

Looking into renting from davids vacation rentals..according to his cost calculator I can get into a few of the resorts standard/value rooms for under $1500 for the 6 days I plan on staying ..my question is which one is best one?
I have looked into animal kingdom,old key west,board walk/beach villas ,Sarasota springs..again according to his cost calculator I can get into most of them beside the really expensive ones...

My main concern is transportation time to parks and ease of use..

Food will play into it as well because I think I will forgo a dining plan..except for going to maybe one or two sit down dinners..

I'm sure any of the resorts will have ample stuff for my son to do when we not in parks so that's not a huge concern but I need to take that into consideration.

Thanks to all that takes their time to read/reply to my post.

It's important to understand that DVC can be booked 11 months in advance by those owners who own at different resorts, and that late September-December is DVC "high season." The first two weeks are the busiest DVC season of the year. Some of the rooms you will have looked at points for -- Boardwalk Standard Studio, Beach Club Studios, Animal Kingdom Value Studios -- are already gone for all dates from late September to early December, or so many of them as to make no difference to you because you won't be able to book more than 2 days or so in one in any given week.

Given that you're starting now, the resorts you are most likely to be able to book as a DVC rental:
  • Animal Kingdom Villas - Standard or Savannah view
  • Bay Lake Tower - Lake View
  • Villas at Wilderness Lodge (but not early December, probably)
  • Old Key West
  • Saratoga Springs
The cost calculator is not a promise of availability, and I believe it even says that.

If you're really interested in DVC, I recommend settling your dates, researching the finality of a DVC rental, and finding out what your options even are for your dates.

Of the ones you list, my preference would be BCV or BWV. I've stayed at both and tend to stay in the EP area whenever we go now. You can walk from both resorts to EP and walk or take the boat to DHS. The Boardwalk is a lot of fun in the evening and both (IMHO anyway, some will disagree about BWV!), have great pools!

Of the ones _auroraborealis_ lists, I would consider BLT, VWL and AKV. BLT will give you the closest proximity to MK. MK is just a boat ride away from MK and the theming is really lovely. I love AKV, but it is quite remote from every park except AK. It is a lovely resort, though!

I love AKV, but it is quite remote from every park except AK.

This is really a myth. It's mostly "remote" from MK. By bus to Epcot and HS, it is slightly faster than bus from VWL, BLT or Poly to HS, or the monorail from BLT/Poly to Epcot. The buses from the Epcot resorts aren't necessarily great for MK, either. WL often shares a bus for Epcot, DHS and AK.

There are transportation trade-offs at any of the resorts.

Welcome to the Dis, xamdrob!

In order of our preference:

I would first check out the possibility of BLT or VWL with a 5 year old. It is great to be in the MK area with little ones.

If they aren't available, AKL is awesome! (albeit a little farther from the MK than most - but only by about 5 minutes, so no biggie) The theme of the resort is spectacular and the animals are fun to watch. Dining is great there as well.

The Epcot resorts are really nice (BWV and BCV), but the fall is food and wine time so that, combined with the facts that it is busy season and mostly past the 11 month window, means you are pretty unlikely to score a week stay at either of those. It is still worth checking just in case, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

OKW is a good bet and has some nice large villas.

Like AuroraBorealis said, check out the limitations/differences of DVC rentals vs regular bookings through Disney and then look into what is available for your dates.

Good luck!

You'll really be fine anywhere... enjoy! We own DVC at AKL, BLT, and SS and have stayed at BCV and OKW. All have advantages and disadvantages. I think there are two factors in deciding:
1. what do you want to do during your down/resort time?
2. is park convenience important to you?

Here are my thoughts:
-AKL- Pros: amazing experience, our favorite. Where else can you see African animals outside of your window? Great on-site kids' activities. Cons: takes a bit longer to some parks, except AK, but who cares?!
-BCV- Pros: location, location, location. You can walk to Epcot! Great pool! Cons: not many.
-Saratoga Springs: Pros: Walking to Disney Springs. Cons: Transportation can take awhile.
-OKW: Pros: Most spacious villas on property and Olivia's Cafe is a hidden gem table service restaurant. Take a boat to Disney Springs. Cons: buses can take a while.

Thanks for the replies ..I'm going to see what I can get..maybe have to book for a different time if none are available when I wanted to go , but that's ok as my schedule is flexible as to when the trip can be taken ..I'm just trying to go at a time when the parks won't be so crowded..

Thanks again

We have this same question when we go, too, and often do split stays. We love being on the monorail, and enjoy the bustle of BLT/CR. We love BC, with SAB and the closeness to Epcot & HS. But our favorite, and one we cannot imagine a WDW trip without, is AKJ. Truly unique! Amazing food options, great pools, and a vacation feel like no other. If you do AK, I would strongly suggest Jambo for the better food options and great activities. Every time we go we say we would be happy here without setting foot in a park. It's perfect to recharge and relax, which imo is key to a fantastic WDW vacation.

Unfortunately it's getting harder and harder to find a time when it is not crowded! Early Sept right after school opens is probably a good time , but it can still be pretty hot at that time. We've been late Sept early Oct and the parks were not bad at all. It starts to get crowded when Food and Wine starts and all the Halloween parties start. Good luck with your planning!

It starts to get crowded when Food and Wine starts

Yes, and F&W starts August 31st this year. Still, other than Epcot September is a less crowded time but still Central FL summer HOT!

I'll cast a vote for BLT, because you can walk to MK, and you have monorail access to Epcot. I agree that any of the deluxe resorts are top notch. :earsboy:

With a 5 year old I would look at BLT. You can walk to MK and take a monorail to Epcot.

Biggest bang for the buck would be a Standard Room at BWV. You can walk or boat to EPCOT or Hollywood Studios.

I would chose an October date. Weather is excellent in October.

For a first-timer, I say try to stay at Magic Kingdom area resort. Bay Lake Tower would probably be the easiest to get, and you can walk to the Magic Kingdom. It really doesn't get much better than that.

I've just completed my first venture into renting DVC points today! I went through a private owner instead of a broker, and couldn't be more pleased. We have three nights in a standard-view studio at the Grand Floridian on December 17-20. I was told it would be tough to get, but I found a fantastic owner and she worked her magic!

Where there's a will, there's a way!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter