First time flying to Disney question

MouseMum

Disney Daydreamer
Living north of the GTA (1 1/2 north of Pearson) and just assumed flying from there was my best bet. Now not so sure. After round one of flight research, it seems it MAY be cheaper to fly from Buffalo. But is it? And if so, is it worth the inconvenience I would likely "endure" considering the extra driving, unfamiliar surroundings (never been to Buffalo) and would likely need to drive to Buffalo myself, and flying with two first-time flyers (teens, one of whom is a little scared to fly). I haven't flown in many years myself so I would probably be as nervous as a first timer. What would you suggest as my better bet? If I'm saving a heap, I'll take my chances and go to Buffalo (I'll do anything once!), or do I play it safe, pay the bigger bucks and fly from Toronto? TIA!

We will be 90 min from Pearson this Fall and will look at Pearson but one can definitely save flying a US border airport. Buffalo is really easy to get to from the Fort Erie crossing, Rochester possible, Flint, or Detroit as well options. Next week we fly from Cleveland ($78 round trip USD direct flight) so definite savings can be found if watching and jumping when a lower fare found.

I would recommend, particularly for first time and near first time fliers that you find yourselves a direct flight (Air Canada or West Jet, or WJ out of Hamilton). That will be the easiest for you. Most people who do Buffalo go the day before and stay in a hotel for an earlier flight out. It's supposed to be easy, but don't forget to account for the dollar if you're price comparing.

I would think the 'easiest' would be to take West Jet out of Hamilton, as it's a small airport. They have Tues and Sat direct flights. You might pay more, but you'll have piece of mind. You can be frugal on your next flight.

You're looking at an extra 2 hour drive, but it's straightforward and the Buffalo airport is small and easy to maneuver. Factor in the U.S. exchange rate and consider any baggage/seat selection fees to see what your real savings will be. I just end up spending more with the money I save so I never really end up saving a penny! :rolleyes:

I have flown out of Buffalo for years now and I really do prefer it to Pearson for many reasons but with the dollar being what it is and the time it will take you to get there plus a possible hotel stay I understand why you are questioning doing the Buffalo thing.

-If you are 1 1/2 hours north of Pearson then I assume it will take a total of approx 3 to 4 hours to get to the Buffalo airport, depending on time of day and traffic (it can get really snarled up in Burlington on the QEW). The time difference is at least double but you are commuting either way.
-As Cottager above said, the Buffalo airport is small and friendly, sooo easy to navigate with lots of reasonable parking and many hotels that are right across the street so you can walk over if you wanted to. We had one situation a few years back where the Monday morning business commuters were clogging security so they whisked us through to the front so we wouldnt miss our flight. Pearson on the other hand is huge with long walkways from where the planes land to where you come out and many many people. The parking is very expensive, you really need to use options like park n fly or other parking services and that can add to the cost.
-One thing I LOVE about using the Buffalo airport is you DRIVE across the border before and after your flight so you dont have the stress of customs (and the line up) just before you board the plane. I am not a smuggler or doing anything illegal but I always get a tingle of apprehension as I cross the border and prefer to not have to stress about it before I fly.

I am not sure when you are planning to go but for comparison purposes, I quickly checked pricing in August from both airports for 1 week departing August 24th, both flights have connections and leave at similar times, I use the ITA Matrix
The pricing from Buffalo for 3 seats on United is 657 USD or $848 Canadian round trip all taxes for all three passengers total.
The pricing from Toronto for 3 seats on American is $1,129.28 Canadian round trip all taxes for all three passengers total.

So you will save approx 280 to fly from Buffalo if you were to go on these days.

You may find you need a hotel in Buffalo if you book a super early departing flight or a late arrival flight but I honestly find the price of a Buffalo hotel is not much more than the parking at Pearson, you just have to work to find a decent price. There are many hotels that do park and fly specials.

I think the question becomes - is it worth saving about 200 bucks to drive for the extra time?

Again, I really like flying out of Buffalo but I live much closer, it is about the same distance between the two airport for me so there is no question for me.

I live 20 minutes from Pearson and 1.5 hours from Buffalo Airport. Depending on how early you book your flight out of Buffalo, you can get some pretty cheap fares. We booked on Southwest the morning seats were released and it cost approx $1200CAD to fly direct to Orlando. The same price for WestJet at the time was $1500+ for really early morning flights or later evening flights. The afternoon flights cost a little more.

There are pros for flying out Buffalo especially if you are staying at a Disney resort. This includes Resort Airline Check-In (if you are staying on site and your resort offers it). We did that for the first time last year and it was amazing because they take your luggage (you don't worry about it until you arrive at your destination)! The year before, we flew with WestJet and had to carry our luggage with us through MCO at 5am with two young kids for our return flight. It was not fun. Also, if you are using DME, then they pick you up 4 hours prior to your return flight departure versus 3 hours for domestic flights. If you fly with Southwest, you get two free bags EACH. This could also add to the cost savings.

With Pearson, you go through customs and security before heading to your gate. This can add an hour or so to your arrival time to the airport.

The drive to Buffalo might not be too bad (4ish hours). But are you really going to want to do that drive when you go home?

You should weigh the pros and cons to what's more of a priority for you. Is it more of a priority to save money or is it more of a priority for convenience (of location)?

We are going to Disneyland in October, and just booked the other day, it would have cost us almost $2000 more to fly from Vancouver to Anaheim than it is to fly from Seattle to Anaheim! Darn taxes and fees! There are 6 of us (my parents, DH, 2 DD's and myself) going, so even though we will have to rent a van and drive to Seattle and stay in a hotel the night before, we are still saving money!

Thanks you for your responses! We've decided that the minimal $$ we'll save by flying out of Buffalo mid-August is not worth the inconvenience. I went through every scenario and my best rate at Pearson was $1378, while Buffalo was $1093 (both CAD). Factoring in the Buffalo baggage savings, the parking charge, extra gas and accommodations we'd need the night before a 6 am departure, the difference to flying out of Pearson would be less than $100.

Oh well, I tried.

Thanks you for your responses! We've decided that the minimal $$ we'll save by flying out of Buffalo mid-August is not worth the inconvenience. I went through every scenario and my best rate at Pearson was $1378, while Buffalo was $1093 (both CAD). Factoring in the Buffalo baggage savings, the parking charge, extra gas and accommodations we'd need the night before a 6 am departure, the difference to flying out of Pearson would be less than $100.

Oh well, I tried.

Good for you for looking into it. I think the distance for me would be the biggest factor. We flew from Detroit for the first time last Dec and while it was pleasantly surprising how easy it was the 3 hour drive from our house was just too far for the kids (who are older teens) and that kind of took the fun out of it.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I have been flying from BUF for over 10 years and have always had fares that were approx. 40% less than flying from YYZ on average. Sometimes a little less than 40% and sometimes much more than 40%. Example, the last two years for March Break I paid less than $300/person CAD for tickets out of BUF(non stop/RT) going to MCO. From YYZ would have been $650/person CAD.

We did a few practice runs before we booked flights out of Buffalo. Stayed over night near the airport and did some shopping. Buffalo airport is very easy to navigate. The biggest plus is clearing US customs at the Bridge. That being said we still fly out of Pearson about half the time. I have a WJ MasterCard that I earn WJ dollars with. Have a great trip!

Maybe I'm just lucky but I have been flying from BUF for over 10 years and have always had fares that were approx. 40% less than flying from YYZ on average. Sometimes a little less than 40% and sometimes much more than 40%. Example, the last two years for March Break I paid less than $300/person CAD for tickets out of BUF(non stop/RT) going to MCO. From YYZ would have been $650/person CAD.

Perhaps the time of the year makes a difference. What may be high season for us (spring break), may not be in Buffalo, or wherever the airline's head office is.

Good for you for looking into it. I think the distance for me would be the biggest factor. We flew from Detroit for the first time last Dec and while it was pleasantly surprising how easy it was the 3 hour drive from our house was just too far for the kids (who are older teens) and that kind of took the fun out of it.

I think the extra driving is the biggest thing for me too. Who wants to drive all that way when hubby can just drop us off on his way to work.

Living north of the GTA (1 1/2 north of Pearson) and just assumed flying from there was my best bet. Now not so sure. After round one of flight research, it seems it MAY be cheaper to fly from Buffalo. But is it? And if so, is it worth the inconvenience I would likely "endure" considering the extra driving, unfamiliar surroundings (never been to Buffalo) and would likely need to drive to Buffalo myself, and flying with two first-time flyers (teens, one of whom is a little scared to fly). I haven't flown in many years myself so I would probably be as nervous as a first timer. What would you suggest as my better bet? If I'm saving a heap, I'll take my chances and go to Buffalo (I'll do anything once!), or do I play it safe, pay the bigger bucks and fly from Toronto? TIA!
I've done both Pearson and Buffalo. When we added everything up due to the Canadian dollar this year it was actually cheaper to fly out of Canada. If you do end up flying out of Buffalo consider the Sleep Inn and Suites on Holtz Dr. for your park and fly. Clean hotel and price was reasonable. They also have a free shuttle to the airport and free breakfast. Way better than some of the other fleabags we have stayed at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter