First Time Disney Cruiser -Internet Service

hayesdvc

DIS Veteran
Wife and I are on the Wish in May for our first Disney cruise. We are staying in a Stateroom if that matters.

What internet service should I purchase for a four day cruise? Does it work on Castaway Cay? I have Verizon as a carrier. Should I use this instead?

TIA

Just to help you - everyone stays in a stateroom. It’s the type - inside, ocean view, verandah that differentiates the type of stateroom you are in. Unless it’s concierge it won’t matter in terms of internet.

I will ask why you need internet for 4 days? Business or work that can’t wait you may need a better package. Just to stay in touch with home you may not need one at all.

As of right now iMessage and WhatsApp seem to work in the ship using Dcl free WiFi without buying a package.

Knowing the reason for internet will guide you to your package or to no package at all.

We cruise so we can disconnect from the world and we have yet to ever buy an internet package after 11 sailings including some longer than a week.

We cruise so we can disconnect from the world and we have yet to ever buy an internet package after 11 sailings including some longer than a week.

My husband is in sales and is very much looking forward to nothing working next year. The kids will be with us, so there's no real reason to have ship to shore communication.

My husband is in sales and is very much looking forward to nothing working next year. The kids will be with us, so there's no real reason to have ship to shore communication.
Yeah, my mom was a frequent cruiser and her standing order was "don't bother me when I am on a cruise, there is nothing that can't wait until I get home"

Wife and I are on the Wish in May for our first Disney cruise. We are staying in a Stateroom if that matters.

What internet service should I purchase for a four day cruise? Does it work on Castaway Cay? I have Verizon as a carrier. Should I use this instead?

TIA
Turn off data and roaming. I woke up the first morning after forgetting to turn mine off (because I was still answering emails until we were setting sail) to “your international data charges have exceed $400”. No warning before that.

Buy the Wi-Fi package if you need it. Apparently there’s a limited amount of free wifi if you can snag it on embarkation day, and I thought I had connected to it…apparently I didn’t. And maritime data is $$$$

As others have said, text still works on cellular. I had no issues texting almost anywhere except evenings way out to se and on the adult beach on castaway.

As others said, you should try and stay off data if you can. I’m a workaholic, but I have to admit - it was super nice not to have access to email for a couple of days! And that’s what had stopped me cruising before. But boy was it refreshing

Buy the Wi-Fi package if you need it.

But if you're needing it because work is requiring you to work on your vacation (and by "vacation" I mean you put in for vacation days...not you're going to try and keep working remotely without letting your company know so you don't have to spend vacation days) they should reimburse you for the internet package. And understand that even when you're paying for it, shippernet is hit or miss and definitely slower than on land. (Something to keep in mind if you're in the second scenario I named - the "I'll just work remotely without telling them I'm not where they think I am" one. )

I'll be on the WISH in October for my first Disney Cruise! From what I understand we need to use the DCL app for our navigator. Is there free internet for that?
Thank you for your question @MissPrice yes the WiFi is free for Disney cruise line navigator app only just make sure to download it the before you arrive at the port. The latest version to download it is android version or EMUI version 8 and up for it to be compatible with your device.
The WiFi is extra charge and it's available at connect at sea desk if you want it for Facebook, Google and Youtube. Some people need the to buy a Internet package for works. Every cruise line company charge to use the Internet and to use data and roaming it's best to turn off data and roaming too.

Kind regards
Kevin

I’ve read so many threads like this, and I’m still confused! It’s been a few years since we’ve cruised and never on Disney.

What plan do I need (both from Verizon and from Disney) if I want to receive calls and texts and app notifications? I want this both on ship and in port. Specifically, we want to get:
> alerts if our house alarm goes off,
> alerts from our bank about suspicious spending,
> family calls and texts in case of emergency.

We also want to be able to call each other on the ship, not just message through the app.

We will likely purchase the premium WiFi package but do we also need a Verizon plan? And do we still turn off cellular data and roaming if we get a Verizon plan? Do we turn it back on while in port??

TIA!

I’ve read so many threads like this, and I’m still confused! It’s been a few years since we’ve cruised and never on Disney.

What plan do I need (both from Verizon and from Disney) if I want to receive calls and texts and app notifications? I want this both on ship and in port. Specifically, we want to get:
> alerts if our house alarm goes off,
> alerts from our bank about suspicious spending,
> family calls and texts in case of emergency.

We also want to be able to call each other on the ship, not just message through the app.

We will likely purchase the premium WiFi package but do we also need a Verizon plan? And do we still turn off cellular data and roaming if we get a Verizon plan? Do we turn it back on while in port??

TIA!

Alerts will still go through in airplane mode with wi-fi turned on.
You'd have to look at the actual Disney wi-fi plans to see what might work for your needs, I think the basic surf will work for audio calling. For service in port and off the ship you'd probably need an international plan if you were planning on using your phone as a phone at all.

If you need one of you to be available in case of emergency then just get WiFi for one of you. My husband got WiFi for his phone but I wanted to check out on vacation so I just used the free app to message him and get messages from the kids club.

For service in port and off the ship you'd probably need an international plan if you were planning on using your phone as a phone at all.
Depends on the provider. I think they said Verizon? Don't they have international 'passes' that you activate on the day you want to use it? For T-Mobile, my phone just works because of my plan, no special international add-ons.

Depends on the provider. I think they said Verizon? Don't they have international 'passes' that you activate on the day you want to use it? For T-Mobile, my phone just works because of my plan, no special international add-ons.

I honestly don't know, the last time I cruised I just kept my phone in airplane mode and when I went into Canada it was in the way back when....when texts were capped at x number per billing cycle and your minutes were metered during the day (but nights and weekends, talk all you want)

Yep, the OP stated they have Verizon which offers (along with at&t) an international travel plan that costs $10 per 24 hours. These plans don't work while the ship is at sea.

https://www.verizon.com/plans/international/international-travel/travel-pass/

I honestly don't know, the last time I cruised I just kept my phone in airplane mode and when I went into Canada it was in the way back when....when texts were capped at x number per billing cycle and your minutes were metered during the day (but nights and weekends, talk all you want)
Yes, it is way better than it used to be (again depending on the provider). For Alaska (i.e., Canada) and the Caribbean I had/have unlimited data/text. The only that is metered is calling.

My in-laws have Verizon, and I know last summer, Verizon would text them and say "do you want to use an international day pass?" while we were on the Fantasy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter