first time at poly

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
weve only been members since 2016 and this is the first time there our home resort--unless BCV opens for our dates would like to try there also

anyways could someone please fill me in on the room locations and how far things are--we stayed there just one night a few years ago before a cruise and got upgraded to the Hawaii building--loved that

so basically what Im asking is where are the DVC buildings any buildings that are particulary great or not so great--

thanks all cant wait

The Studios are in the following Longhouses:
Pago Pago
Moorea
Tokelau

There is a small parking lot in front of Pago Pago. Tokelau is the unlabeled building between Hawaii and Moorea in the resort map below:

b_1200_800_0_10_images_stories_poly_maps_Poly_Map_201511.png

The Map that Michael posted above is good. The 3 DVC Buildings are in the North East area of the property, Tokelau, which is next to the Secondary pool and the commons area, and is oriented north-south. Moorea to the east, right on the edge of the lake, and Pago Pago, the smallest DVC building, across from Moorea and slightly south. (We won't count the Bungalows, since they aren't REAL DVC buildings anyway. They are just Disney's scam to make extra money off the backs of the DVC Owners. I say they aren't real DVC because, frankly, very very very few people will ever spend their DVC Points to stay there. So, they really are just Disney rentals. And even then, they often sit empty.)

On the north side of Moorea is the Lake. All Lakeview rooms are there. To the south of Moorea is a commons that is formed by the triangle of Moorea, Pago Pago and Tokelau. Pago Pago has only Standard View studios, and they look out on the commons to the north, or a parking lot to the south. Both Pago Pago and Moorea are the closest to the Tickets and Transportation Center, and to the Magic Kingdom Ferry, and it is likely you will be walking there at least a few times (about a 6 minute walk from Moorea, PLUS security time). Anyway, if you plan to go that way often, you might choose Moorea or Pago Pago. If you have a Standard room in one of those two buildings, I would request Moorea, and ask for the Eastern end of the building if you go to the TTC a lot. Moorea also has the DVC Laundry rooms.

But my favorite building is Tokelau. It is all Standard View studios, and the ones on the east look out over the common area with Moorea and Pago Pago. The rooms on the west side look out to the secondary pool and the main commons area. I haven't found pool noise to be a problem there, and it also has decreased noise from the Ferry horn, at all hours of the day, which can be especially bad at Moorea and sometimes Pago Pago.

I would request a 3rd floor room if possible (higher floors have a bit better view, in my opinion, though ground floor rooms open right out onto the commons). I also like the north end, since it is closer to the lake, closer to Moorea for laundry, and it has a stairway on the north end with a large deck area attached, where a lot of people can go to see the fireworks at night, and be close enough to the beach to hear the music/show. You CANNOT really see the fireworks from your balcony at Tokelau or the Standard rooms at Moorea, and only very poorly from a few of the rooms in Pago Pago. That is why for fireworks viewing I recommend the Beach or the Deck on the north end of Tokelau. Perhaps you might also see the fireworks from the stairway on the west end of Moorea, but I don't know since I never tried it. Tokelau is also closest to the Great Ceremonial House (the main Building) and the general commons area and the food court in the bottom floor of the Main Ceremonial House. So, I think it has a more central location.

The Main Ceremonial House is also the place where you will catch the Resort Monorail. The Express Monorail does not stop there. Express Monorail circles counter-clockwise and only stops at Magic Kingdom and TTC. If you plan to take the monorail to Magic Kingdom or Epcot, the Resort Monorail runs clockwise around the lagoon, and it will also stop at Grand Floridian, then Magic Kingdom, then BLT/Contemporary and then the TTC. This whole trip takes about 25 minutes. Once you get to the TTC you can transfer to the Epcot monorail. Or, alternatively, you can just walk to the TTC and catch the Epcot monorail.

I don't like Captain Cooks, which is the counter service restaurant at Poly. I think it is possibly the worst counter service restaurant at any of the resorts. I just didn't think their food 'worked' very well. On the other hand, I love Kona Cafe, on the main floor of the Great Ceremonial House. For Breakfast or Lunch you can just show up and ask to go on their waiting list, and you will generally get seated pretty quickly. If you are sure you want Dinner there, then do try to get Reservations if possible, because they do get full, and sometimes have quite a wait. Ohana is the 'upscale' restaurant at Poly. It will almost always require a reservation for dinner. They specialize in serving different meats, mostly Asian/Pacific style flavors, on skewers, and they top it off with several Asian type side dishes. But, a great option is to order Room Service Delivery of Ohana for Two (I think you need to order it for AT LEAST two), direct to your room. I believe it costs about $50 a person, but if you order for two, they easily bring enough food to feed four people.

The Lava pool (main pool) at Poly is considered one of the better pools at the DVC Resorts. There is a little counter service area at the Lava Pool, and also sometimes open at the secondary pool, where you can get a sandwich or hamburger or snack.

Poly is also about a quarter mile walk, along the lakeshore, to Grand Floridian, and we sometimes go there for breakfast, since it is better than Captain Cooks, and Grand Floridian also has great atmosphere and some other excellent restaurants.

Last edited:

PVB is one of my home resorts. We’ve stayed there three times so far and always in Tokelau which is centrally located to everything. Third floor facing the quiet pool is a nice view, love seeing the glow of the tiki torches from our room.😌

I also have a first time trip to Poly coming up, so this has been very helpful. Could someone please tell me the best way to get to the Grand Floridian in an ECV? Is it faster to "scooter" on over via the pathway, or to take the monorail? Also, to get to the MK, are there certain buildings from which the ferryboat is faster, or the monorail? Thanks.

Location wise DVC Poly rooms are great.
It is a walk to the TTC - so if the resorts monorail line is packed leaving MK, take the express to TTC and walk it, its maybe a tad further than walking to the Poly Lobby.
In an ECV I would take the pathway to GF
I would walk it over the monorail, and an ECV is faster than walking.

The monorail is slow, you have to go thru security, sometimes the line is long.

I also have a first time trip to Poly coming up, so this has been very helpful. Could someone please tell me the best way to get to the Grand Floridian in an ECV? Is it faster to "scooter" on over via the pathway, or to take the monorail? Also, to get to the MK, are there certain buildings from which the ferryboat is faster, or the monorail? Thanks.

Path to Grand Floridian is along the lakeshore, just head west. It's about 1/4 mile to the start of GF and maybe 1/3 mile or 1/2 mile to the other side. Main quick service restaurant at GF is on the other side of Grand Floridian (other side of lobby) and you can enter it from either the lobby or directly from outside. But GF has many better restaurants than that.

All of the DVC buildings have the elevators in the center of the building. The elevators are VERY tiny. Literally is room to fit in an ECV, plus about 1 inch. There are usually two elevators near each other. One faces the main lobby/entrance of the DVC building and one is around the corner a few feet down the hall. I think they are both about the same size, if I remember. Technique to enter the Elevator on a scooter, from some of the members of our party, was to start towards the right side of the elevator opening, go straight in about 3/4 of the way, then crank it to the left so the front wheel ends up in the back corner.

I don't know if you want the 3rd floor or not. It is popular. Plenty of people use ECVs, and you see them on every floor, but if you aren't confident in your skills in a tight space (in the elevator) then you might want to request a ground floor room.

thanks for the map--however I cant seem to see where the Tokelau building is--a PP wrote a great directions post about the 3 buildings making a triangle

keeping that in mind is Tokelau the long building with no signs on it but this building does form a triangle with Moorea and Pango Pango

thanks again--I like the idea of being centrally located

Yes. The unmarked building is Tokelau. It is oriented pretty much straight north-south. If it was an arrow it would be pointing at the plaza just in front of Space Mountain (across the Lagoon in Magic Kingdom)

Someone else mentioned requesting a higher floor. There is no right or wrong answer here, it depends on the person. We had a ground floor Tokelau room and would 100% request it again. We loved being able to open our door and walk out onto the grass. Our daughter played out there and it really made the room feel bigger.

I have a couple of questions..... One are there soap dispenser in the showers? Also can you get mousekeeping if you pay for it? Can you get new towels everyday? This is our first time staying with our dvc

Path to Grand Floridian is along the lakeshore, just head west. It's about 1/4 mile to the start of GF and maybe 1/3 mile or 1/2 mile to the other side. Main quick service restaurant at GF is on the other side of Grand Floridian (other side of lobby) and you can enter it from either the lobby or directly from outside. But GF has many better restaurants than that.

All of the DVC buildings have the elevators in the center of the building. The elevators are VERY tiny. Literally is room to fit in an ECV, plus about 1 inch. There are usually two elevators near each other. One faces the main lobby/entrance of the DVC building and one is around the corner a few feet down the hall. I think they are both about the same size, if I remember. Technique to enter the Elevator on a scooter, from some of the members of our party, was to start towards the right side of the elevator opening, go straight in about 3/4 of the way, then crank it to the left so the front wheel ends up in the back corner.

I don't know if you want the 3rd floor or not. It is popular. Plenty of people use ECVs, and you see them on every floor, but if you aren't confident in your skills in a tight space (in the elevator) then you might want to request a ground floor room.
This is not true for Pago Pago. There is only one elevator and it is by the entrance furthest the GCH, not centrally located in the longhouse like Tokelau and Moorea. I was recently in room 2113 and it was at the complete opposite end of the hallway. I actually walked my suitcase up the staircase rather than walking down to the elevator and back to my room. I did eventually venture off to see how the elevator was in the event my mom who uses an ECV stayed there and it looked like it would be very difficult for her to navigate. I would definitely request a ground floor room for her!

I have a couple of questions..... One are there soap dispenser in the showers? Also can you get mousekeeping if you pay for it? Can you get new towels everyday? This is our first time staying with our dvc
Trash is taken out daily. A full clean with towel/linen replacement is done on day 4. You can purchase daily cleanings or just an extra towel pack at the front desk.
I have heard that an envelope in the room with a token of appreciation might also get you additional cleanings / towels. Not sure if that is indeed the case and YMMV

Trash is taken out daily. A full clean with towel/linen replacement is done on day 4. You can purchase daily cleanings or just an extra towel pack at the front desk.
I have heard that an envelope in the room with a token of appreciation might also get you additional cleanings / towels. Not sure if that is indeed the case and YMMV
You do not get a full cleaning on Day 4, unless you are staying more than a week.
Denise

We stayed in moorea this December in a standard studio third floor and liked it. The overall theming made the room feel dark to me but we loved the extra bathroom set up and the pull down bed for our toddler.

We didn’t hear any boat horns from our room. We also loved capt cooks and had luck with same day ADRs at Kona for dinner. Enjoy!

The best room will depend on your needs. We had a ground floor room at Pago Pago and it was awesome. It’s the shortest walk to the ttc, a short walk to the laundry room, and right near the grill. It’s great if you have a stroller.

We use out points on lake view. We are usually in Moorea, and the fireworks are amazing from the room, I cannot recommend that enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter