First Time at Fort Wilderness and First Time in an RV...Help!

mjaclyn

Currently in Wonderland
Hello Campers! My family and I have decided to try a stay at Fort Wilderness sometime in August for a couple of nights. My husband grew up camping on the West Coast but I have never been camping at all. My kids LOVE the idea of staying in an RV so I've been looking at some of the rental companies that deliver to WDW.

Has anyone used an outside company to rent an RV and which would you recommend for a first time camper?

I'm also very confused about Fort Wilderness Loops and campsites in general. What is the difference between a Full Hook-Up, Preferred and Premium campsite? Is it just how large it is?

I'd also love any suggestions on which loop to choose. We will be bringing our two small dogs, so we do need a pet loop but other than that I have no idea what to request. I think since this is our first time camping (at least for my kids and I), I'd love to be somewhat close to Pioneer Hall or another dining area.

Thanks in advance for your help!! We are SO excited to try this out. I've always read such great things about Fort Wilderness and I know this will be an experience we will never forget!

To start with here is a decent primer on the classes of loops.

In general Premium loops are in the most premium locations closer to the marina or the pools, the premium sites are wider and longer and the RV pad is all concrete. The preferred sites are not as close to everything, but still close to most things. The sites are are not as wide, and range in length. 75% of the RV pad is concrete but the remaining is crushed shell/sand like. The full hookups are in my view exactly the same as the preferred sites, but they require a decent walk, bike ride, golf cart to get around.

You will want to request a pet loop, and each class of site has designated pet loops.

I think in your case you might enjoy a prefferred site if you don't want to go all out with a premium site.

I cannot comment on personal experience for RV rentals, but Greenberg has been discussed here a lot and if you read one of the trip reports another is using a different company, but have not found a website to link for you.

My husband grew up camping on the West Coast . . .
. . . that could be a good thing or a not-so-good thing

My kids LOVE the idea of staying in an RV
. . . some children are wise beyond their years

so I've been looking at some of the rental companies that deliver to WDW.
. . . smart choice

Has anyone used an outside company to rent an RV and which would you recommend for a first time camper?
. . . there are several in the area
. . . just do a Google for Fort Wilderness Rentals
. . . the rentals include put-up and tear-down
. . . all come with basic items like bedding and utensils
. . . basically, pay the rent and move on in

What is the difference between a Full Hook-Up, Preferred and Premium campsite? Is it just how large it is?
. . . the sizes do vary A LITTLE
. . . however, the amenities are quite different
. . . check the link http://allears.net/acc/faq_fw.htm

I'd also love any suggestions on which loop to choose. We will be bringing our two small dogs, so we do need a pet loop but other than that I have no idea what to request.
. . . ask for a "pet loop" and it will be assigned to you

I think since this is our first time camping (at least for my kids and I), I'd love to be somewhat close to Pioneer Hall or another dining area.
. . . simply ask to be as close to The Settlement as possible

We are SO excited to try this out. I've always read such great things about Fort Wilderness and I know this will be an experience we will never forget!
. . . there are two things that I found live up to expectations and do not disappoint
. . . The Grand Canyon
. . . The Fort

We rented a RV from Greenburg last year, check out their web site at
greenbergrvflorida.com. Matt the owner was great to work with and we had a wonderful week. They rent many different size trailers, bikes, and have a few golf carts. The trailer we had was brand new, they don't keep them very long so they always have newer trailers, some rental companies had 10 year old trailers that wasn't for us. This is the only way we will do Disney in the future.

test:
http://www.greenbergrvflorida.com/

Jaclyn, this is my second time at the fort but first time in an RV. We stayed in the cabins 11 years ago. This time we are renting from myrvhoteldotcom. Not sure if I am allowed to post it so that should get you there. We had no problems. Patrick had the rv set and going when we got there. Our week rental also included a golf cart. I think the rv is just like the video. I will say it is a little older but has been maintained and is clean. For us this was the rv I wanted because I don't need or want a bunk house. We took our dog Mallory who is an 80 pound German Shepard mix. She is handicapped so I needed a place for her bed. Th elite rv at myrvhoteldotcom was perfect. During the day she could stay in the living room and at bed there was enough space to put her bed in the bedroom.

I have really loved the fort and camping. I love having Mallory with me, especially since she needs me.

test: http://www.myrvhotel.com/

Thanks everybody!! I really appreciate all the advice I can get! Camping has always looked like so much fun, but if you're like me and have never done it, it's hard to know where to start! I guess it might be a little bit like a first timer coming to Walt Disney World and trying to plan a trip! Lol

Jaclyn, this is my second time at the fort but first time in an RV. We stayed in the cabins 11 years ago. This time we are renting from myrvhoteldotcom. Not sure if I am allowed to post it so that should get you there.

test: http://www.myrvhotel.com/

Please note that you must always use the url address for sites, and by not doing so, you are circumventing this site's filter, which is not allowed.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm

We are doing this also coming to the fort on July 13th this will be the first time we will be renting an rv . We are using Florida camper rental. So excited we rented rv that sleeps 10. We have 2adults and 5 little ones. The kids are excited to camp!

We've been to the Fort twice now and hardly feel like experts, but since getting our motorhome 4 years ago, we've been quite a few places and so I do have some thoughts.

First, there are many experts in this forum and I take advantage of their advice frequently. Second, you will be surprised at how much you'll love the Fort. Prepare to get addicted to it. As for other bits of advice, we stayed in the 300 loop our first trip which I believe is still pet-friendly. That location was great for us and close to Pioneer Hall. (Just try to get a site on the outer part of the loop rather than the inner part. Some of the inner ones seem pretty narrow.) That being said, provided you have a golf-cart, the entire Fort is quickly accessible and I wouldn't hesitate to stay in any loop provided it has the amenities/hookups we need. We used Kenny (Tee Time) for our golf cart. He was cheaper and there was no issue with getting and returning the golf cart.

Also, you may want to consider renting an RV in your home state and driving. We drive from NJ in our motorhome and although it's a long trip, we find that travelling in the RV is part of the fun. That also allows us to bring anything we want with us and not worry about baggage fees, etc.

Enjoy!

We rented a unit last February for my in-laws to use. They camped in the site next to us.

We used Moore Camper Rentals: http://www.mcrfl.com/

We were extremely happy with the unit they provided and the extremely prompt response when we needed a bit of help.

I highly recommend them! We've reserved a rental from Moores again for February next year!

Read more about our experience here: http://land.allears.net/blogs/guestblog/2014/03/no_rv_no_problem_fort_wilderne.html

And here: http://www.carol-anne.ca/2014 February Trip Report.htm

Happy Camping!

We rented from Greenberg RV in April and they were fantastic. This is our 3rd time renting a trailer at the fort since 2009 - all from different places. This experience was by far the best! We will rent from them next trip too.
Have fun!

Did you have a review from your stay? I'm in the same boat as you and I'm excited to hear your experience.

Are you wanting a review of Fort Wilderness or regarding her RV stay?

If you are wanting to know more about FW the best thing to do is use that search bar above or just scroll down the Camping at Disney Forum. You can't go wrong at FW, I think it is impossible. Now there are many ways to go wrong while at Disney but not at FW.

And on that note, I think I need to change my screen name to FW and not Disney! haha

Seriously, find the picture a day thread and just go through it :0)

Or if you have specific questions about FW, just ask!

Did you have a review from your stay? I'm in the same boat as you and I'm excited to hear your experience.

We are newbies too, going in July. My kids are equally excited! I booked with Greenberg. After shopping around and adding up all the little cost it seemed best for us. Good luck! I've never camped either (if you can call an RV camping! LOL)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter