First things first for first timers in MK?

Smile4Me

DIS Veteran
My husband and I are planning a trip end of Nov/beg. of Dec with my SIL and niece, who will be 7 at the time of the trip. I grew up going to Disney with family, my husband and SIL went once when they were little. But since we met my husband and I have been back many times. It is really like a first trip all over again for my SIL and definitely will be a first trip for our niece.

On our arrival day (most likely a red eye), we we will get to the MK probably around 3 or a bit later. We are hoping to have ears before - so we'll be ready to experience all the magic once we get there. But what do we do first?! Do we do characters or a ride? Which land? I was thinking getting our picture in front of the castle and then hitting Fantastyland. But what ride?!

I am so excited to share this with them!

Your call! Our first trip as a family started with a ride on the Jungle Cruise - for no particular reason!

However, I didn't truly fall in love with WDW until we rode Splash Mountain.

Entering MK that late in the afternoon precludes seeing the Welcome Show, which I recommend to all first timers. My usual strategy is to enter and head left, moving clockwise around the park, though heading straight through to Fantasyland isn't a bad idea either. Peter Pan would be the most classic thing there, but have a Fastpass planned for it as lines will be long at that time of day.

DD heads us right to the carousel and Small World. Small World seems to be the epitome of WDW to us.

I agree with either the clockwise or counterclockwise plan. Hit each section then move on...

Hopefully you'll have fastpasses. I think a good way to kick things off for a first timer would be a FP+ on Splash. As you all know, the ride delivers action, excitement, adventure and tons of that classic Disney theming that we all love so much. I think that is a great way to get spirits high and set the tone

I think it really depends what is happening when you walk in. If the fantasy parade is happening, find a nice spot and enjoy that first :) if there is something in the hub at the castle going on, there is your first.

I personally pick what direction to head next by who is around me. If you people watch, you'll see people are generally following the way their grew up for what direction to go. If it's a heavy international crowd and they are taught stay left, drive left, they are heading to adventureland first and tomorrowland will be less crowded. If it's a stay right crowd, tommorrowland is where everyone will be headed. You can also tell what direction people are going to peel off based on what side of main street they are walking down (unless they are store hopping then you need to listen to what language they are speaking to tell).

EDITED TO ADD: Read up about the stitch ride before you bring your niece to that, it's not great and can be scary. that can really change the willingness of a child to try any ride after doing that as their first look at disney attractions.

Our first trip my son wanted to do Dumbo first. We were there for rope drop. Turns out, we were passing the teacups and white rabbit and tweedle dee/tweedle dum were there. So we stopped for a pic and TD/TD took my son on a ride on the teacups. Totally spontaneous and so much fun! He didn't even know who they were but they had such fun interaction with him.

So I say just see what your SIL and niece are drawn to.

DD heads us right to the carousel and Small World. Small World seems to be the epitome of WDW to us.

I agree with either the clockwise or counterclockwise plan. Hit each section then move on...

Small World is definitely going to be one of the first. The song came on while we were listening to some park music with my niece and she started singing right along proclaiming "I just love this song!" I thought my husband was going to die laughing! We are so excited to experience the park through her eyes!

Thank you all for such great thoughts! It is just getting me so excited thinking about it!

We will definitely be coming back to MK a couple times including a full day to catch the rope drop show and both parades. My niece thinks that having a parade every day is a pretty special thing! I'm not sure what she is going to do when she gets to see at least two there!
Splash is also a great recommendation- it is me and my husband's favorite, which will also be great to share with them!

What about first night restaurants? We do plan on eating at the Castle, but on one of our return days as we are afraid we might be too tired to fully enjoy the magic that first day in case we can't get a nap in before heading to the parks. Right now my SIL wants to go to Garden Grill later in the trip too to see Farmer Mickey...so we arent' real keen to do both GG and Chef Mickey's in the same trip. What else would be a good first night meal? We have hoppers. Ohanas?

I don't think I would plan an ADR for that first night. There's just too many variables...delayed flights and tiredness being the two most likely to happen. Take a look at the Counter/Quick Service places in MK and plan from there. Casey's Corner could be fun. Pinnochio Village Haus overlooks Small World is another fun option.

What does your SIL remember most from her Disneyland days? Perhaps there is something in those memories that would make a good "first" ride.

We're hoping to bring a pair of first time adults with us on our next trip, too, one of whom grew up hearing us rave about Disney as kids. Everyone has their opinion on what to first since we'll hopefully land mid-day. Monorail through the Contemporary, a classic like Haunted Mansion, wing it.... I finally asked my friend and he said he didn't care what we did so long as he gets to meet Mickey on the first day. So, on my plans, we'll meet Mickey first thing. Check with your SIL and niece to see what they are most excited about, plan one for the first thing and spread the rest out over the other days (like eating at the Small World windows in Pinocchio's) so there's always something magical planned.

As for dinner, I agree with sharonabe. DSis and I once had our early morning flight delayed so long (tech troubles) we didn't check in until midnight! Cosmic Rays is our go-to because of all the options and topping bar - plus easy access to either the front or back of the castle for Wishes.

Our first time with a child, we arrived at the MK around 1:30 and headed for Peter Pan. I would not advise that. The line was about 90 minutes and the queue wasn't as nice as it today.

Figure out your priorities. If you want to do the Mine Train, try to book a FP for that. If you cannot get one try it very late in the evening right before close. The wait for PP is long for most of the evening so consider that for a FP if that is a priority. (Anna and Elsa won't be a problem at the MK then.) We had good luck last summer with getting additional FPs at the MK with so many attractions and many of those would be considered headliners.

The lines for many of the kids' rides shorten around eight or so.

One thing I always suggest is to look at the wait times in the week or two before your visit. It gives you an idea of the ebb and flow of the crowds

I don't think I would plan an ADR for that first night. There's just too many variables...delayed flights and tiredness being the two most likely to happen. Take a look at the Counter/Quick Service places in MK and plan from there. Casey's Corner could be fun. Pinnochio Village Haus overlooks Small World is another fun option.

What does your SIL remember most from her Disneyland days? Perhaps there is something in those memories that would make a good "first" ride.
She remembers a little. Mainly meeting Mickey and Minnie and seeing the castle and a show called Mickey's Birthday! She also had Minnie ears and wants to make sure her daughter gets those before we even get there, so we don't accidently forget! Plus then we'll be ready for action once we get there!!

I don't think I would plan an ADR for that first night. There's just too many variables...delayed flights and tiredness being the two most likely to happen.

This is great advice!

But, if you book 3 FP and have the attitude of "as long as we get these 3 rides in before dinner, we've had a good day" and don't try to fit in 10 things that afternoon before dinner, I think you'll be ok.

On our last trip we did an arrival night ADR.

We landed around 12:30pm (not a red eye, a 9am flight from NY, so we weren't super exhausted), and got to MK around 3pm. We hit 5 rides (3 FP rides and 2 additional FP selections), then left around 6pm, took the monorail to Grand Floridian and had dinner at 1900 Park Fare.

It was fun to be on the monorail (very "Disney") and see Cinderella. Plus the stepmother and sisters were hilarious and the food was pretty darn good for a buffet. The real beauty - we got out of the hustle and bustle of the park, decompressed a bit in the amazing GF lobby, THEN took an Uber back to our resort! That was HEAVEN not having to deal with crowds/busses when we were tired and ready for bed! :)

Our first time with a child, we arrived at the MK around 1:30 and headed for Peter Pan. I would not advise that. The line was about 90 minutes and the queue wasn't as nice as it today.

Figure out your priorities. If you want to do the Mine Train, try to book a FP for that. If you cannot get one try it very late in the evening right before close. The wait for PP is long for most of the evening so consider that for a FP if that is a priority. (Anna and Elsa won't be a problem at the MK then.) We had good luck last summer with getting additional FPs at the MK with so many attractions and many of those would be considered headliners.

The lines for many of the kids' rides shorten around eight or so.

One thing I always suggest is to look at the wait times in the week or two before your visit. It gives you an idea of the ebb and flow of the crowds

Good advice about checking wait times a week or two before we go! I definitely think we are going to FP Mine Train and Splash Mountain that first day. Will have to check with my Sister in Law if she wants to FP Mickey or another ride. I am guessing Mickey though! That might be our first stop actually, then work our way back to the Castle and into Fantasyland.. :) Thanks for all the great advice and tips!!

To me, the rides not to miss on a first visit to MK are Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, It's a Small World. I'd also do a dinner at the Crystal Palace so your niece can experience characters. Honestly, everything in MK is SO much fun!!! You'll have a great time no matter what you do. Definitely get fast passes. And don't forget the Main St. Electrical Parade! I love this and it's another great way to see lots of characters.

It all depends out how much of a hurry you are in, as a kid growing up we would always rush to space mountain first, but growing up I've learned to appreciate main street more, my advice is if you have the time to reall take it all in walking down main street, enjoy the sights and sounds, theyre is always something to do on main street. Now if your talking ride strategy, get fastpass for peter pans flight, 7 dwarfs, and space mountain if you really want to go on it because those are always at least 40 minute waits but are usually 60 minutes. Splash and Big thunder fluctuate in wait times and if u can catch big thunder after breaking down, which it does often you can usually walk right on.

I vote for it's a small world or Peter Pan first (and second) (or if you want to go really classic Disney: Enchanted Tikki Room :duck:)
Then some dinner and walking around maybe a character...
Then watch MSEP/Wishes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter