First Stay at Windsor Hills through Vacation Central Fl--Never Again

BadgerGirl84

I used to have a tag...
SEE UPDATE IN NEW POST

We stayed at a 3 bed/3 bath townhome at Windsor Hills recently through Vacation Central Florida. Never again. We will be returning to Wyndham Bonnet Creek on any future stay where we need extra space for a group. There were some things I liked, but the cons outweighed the pros. Pros: -Loved the resort location--just off 192 and we were really close to a Super Target and a bunch of great restaurants. Our faves were Bonefish Grill and Chuys. We also took the Sherbeth Rd shortcut to the parks and it was so quick to get to all 4 parks with no traffic. -We liked that the community was gated and the staff at the gate was always friendly. -We liked having a small pool. Keyword: small. -We liked having 3 baths. -We liked parking right in front of our door instead of walking in from a big parking lot. Cons: -Nearly everything in the unit (furniture, kitchen ware, carpet, linens, towels) were old, beat up, and just in dire need of being replaced. I was counting on charging my iphone on the ipod stereos they advertised in the video of the unit--only one of them actually worked out of the 3. -Pots and pans were total junk. My sister has to cook all her own food and bring it in the parks due to a medical condition and we were fighting over the single frying pan each morning--and even that one was scratched up and was totally slanted when you put it on the burner. -Cleanliness--YUCK. I just had an icky feeling the whole time I was there, as it was not as clean as I keep my own home. Sure, the general stuff was done--carpets vacuumed, kitchen floor and counters cleaned, toilets cleaned, etc. But the "extra" stuff had not been done in what seemed like forever. There was crumbs and debris all along the edge of the carpets near the baseboard. There was a ton of dust behind things, on the tops of door frames and on the fans. There was tons of old lint on the floor by the washing machine. Random hairs in the bathroom. It was not how I would have my own home ever, let alone expecting guests. If I were in a hotel, I would have called the desk to have it cleaned or switch rooms. There were several burnt out bulbs and the master bath was clogged. I contacted the owner of the unit (who is the owner of Vacation Central Florida) and he fixed the bulbs and tub but the unit was never cleaned as requested. And in their videos they advertise a "cleanliness guarantee"--yeah right. -Townhomes are pretty far away from the main pool. We never made it over. We have a 13 month old and it seemed like a chore to either cart the stroller all the way over there or load her up in the car. Looked nice in photos though. So, the #1 reason I wouldn't go back is the cleanliness, followed by how outdated everything was. I'm sure other people have better luck with properties managed by different people. I picked Vacation Central Florida after reading good reviews here on the DIS--but I would never do business with them again and I think I would be leery of booking any rental homes again. Next time we need space for a group I will be returning back to Wyndham Bonnet Creek. We will deal with the parking and enjoy the clean room with nice fixtures.

Sorry you had a bad experience with Vacation Central Florida and WH. We have noticed that the units/furniture/fixtures for the Vacation Central Florida units are deteriorating as the years go by and don't seem to be getting replaced/repaired/refurbished. Our last trip we stayed at WBC and we really noticed the difference between the two. WBC was about $125 more for our week than WH, but we felt that it was worth the difference. We already have WBC booked for next Easter and are looking forward to it.

Ugh, that's not what I wanted to hear. :( We're looking at a trip for the end of May next year and I was debating between WH through Vacation Central Florida and WBC. Now that one of my friends is planning to join us we need 3 bedrooms and we could stay for an entire week in a 3 BR condo at WH for a lot less than 6 nights in a 2 BR condo at WBC. I was feeling really good about deciding on WH, until now. I don't even know how much a 3 BR at WBC would run for 6 nights, but I'm sure it's a lot. But I know my friend would NOT like to end up in a condo like the condition yours was in, I'd never hear the end of it. Is WBC a lot cleaner? Maybe she'd be willing to chip in a little more if it was really worth it. Cleanliness is a big deal.

We stayed at a 3 bed/3 bath townhome at Windsor Hills recently through Vacation Central Florida. Never again. We will be returning to Wyndham Bonnet Creek on any future stay where we need extra space for a group.

There were some things I liked, but the cons outweighed the pros.

Pros:
-Loved the resort location--just off 192 and we were really close to a Super Target and a bunch of great restaurants. Our faves were Bonefish Grill and Chuys. We also took the Sherbeth Rd shortcut to the parks and it was so quick to get to all 4 parks with no traffic.

-We liked that the community was gated and the staff at the gate was always friendly.

-We liked having a small pool. Keyword: small.

-We liked having 3 baths.

-We liked parking right in front of our door instead of walking in from a big parking lot.

Cons:
-Nearly everything in the unit (furniture, kitchen ware, carpet, linens, towels) were old, beat up, and just in dire need of being replaced. I was counting on charging my iphone on the ipod stereos they advertised in the video of the unit--only one of them actually worked out of the 3.

-Pots and pans were total junk. My sister has to cook all her own food and bring it in the parks due to a medical condition and we were fighting over the single frying pan each morning--and even that one was scratched up and was totally slanted when you put it on the burner.

-Cleanliness--YUCK. I just had an icky feeling the whole time I was there, as it was not as clean as I keep my own home. Sure, the general stuff was done--carpets vacuumed, kitchen floor and counters cleaned, toilets cleaned, etc. But the "extra" stuff had not been done in what seemed like forever. There was crumbs and debris all along the edge of the carpets near the baseboard. There was a ton of dust behind things, on the tops of door frames and on the fans. There was tons of old lint on the floor by the washing machine. Random hairs in the bathroom. It was not how I would have my own home ever, let alone expecting guests. If I were in a hotel, I would have called the desk to have it cleaned or switch rooms. There were several burnt out bulbs and the master bath was clogged. I contacted the owner of the unit (who is the owner of Vacation Central Florida) and he fixed the bulbs and tub but the unit was never cleaned as requested. And in their videos they advertise a "cleanliness guarantee"--yeah right.

-Townhomes are pretty far away from the main pool. We never made it over. We have a 13 month old and it seemed like a chore to either cart the stroller all the way over there or load her up in the car. Looked nice in photos though.

So, the #1 reason I wouldn't go back is the cleanliness, followed by how outdated everything was. I'm sure other people have better luck with properties managed by different people. I picked Vacation Central Florida after reading good reviews here on the DIS--but I would never do business with them again and I think I would be leery of booking any rental homes again.

Next time we need space for a group I will be returning back to Wyndham Bonnet Creek. We will deal with the parking and enjoy the clean room with nice fixtures.

Mind me asking what unit? Trying to figure out if we need to change our plans :-(

I'm very troubled by the fact that you asked that the unit be cleaned while you were there and it wasn't. Did you communicate with Dave directly about the cleaning or was it his property manager?

I remember a few years back there were a few posts complaining about the property manager and what a tool she was. The complaints actually brought about a change in the way the unit had to be left when the vacation was over. Previously, there was a memo from the property manager stating that all towels had to be washed and dried prior to leaving the unit and a few other things (maybe beds stripped?!?!), but they have since eliminated that requirement and removed the memo.

This is frustrating to hear. Are all of the Windsor Hills homes managed by this company. I've seen many homes on VRBO and wondered if they are managed by one group. The isea the home was cleaned is awful.

This is sad to hear. Not all of homes are not managed by the same company. There are numerous companies that do property management in Windsor Hills. It's just too bad that this experience ruined WH for you. There are some really beautiful, CLEAN, homes there. Hope your next stay near Disney World is more magical, as it should be!

We routinely stay at Windsor Hills in a privately owned pool home (not a townhouse) and have always had a great experience. Enough so that we continue to book with the same owner because we know what to expect and can count on the property to be maintained to a high standard. With that high standard comes a price. We also expect that the fee we pay is reflective of the quality of service we will receive.

I have seen a lot of postings on the boards about Vacation Central Florida and the "amazing" low price. It seems as if the owner's amazingly low price has caught up with him. It would seem difficult to maintain a high quality property while charging such a low price. I guess it comes down to getting what you pay for and if you're shopping by price maybe you shouldn't expect the very best in accommodations.

Hopefully this is an isolated incident and other won't be discouraged from staying in Windsor Hills. It really is a beautiful community that offers a lot for those who choose to stay off site.

There are many more owners / management companies at Windsor Hills that you can rent through. Each home is individually owned so furnishings/electronics/supplies vary. Some keep them up and others not so much.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. We have stayed at WH 4 times now and never had anything but minor problems such as light bulbs not working and these have all been resolved satisfactorily :)

As other have said the homes are individually owned although some may own a few on the community. The homes we have rented were managed by Oasis and Florida Sun Vacations although I didn't know this until we got there as I dealt directly with the owners. The owners you refer to purchased a TH that we have stayed in previously, but we haven't been back since they bought it as they didn't honour our booking.

We stayed at CSR and had to call housekeeping a few times with issues. As they weren't resolved we had to go to the front desk to get things sorted, so nowhere is perfect :sad1:

We have stayed at WH 8+ times. We have stayed in condos and Townhomes. We have stayed at places owned by 3 different owners. Only one was really not up to my standards. I considered it acceptable but definitely not as nice of a place as we would like. The places from the other two owners were top notch! Clean and updated!

To us, the pros on your list far outweigh the cons because the cons really relate to the particular unit you were in. I agree with the distance from the main pool. It really isn't that far but if you have a young one, it would be. I was surprised that once we moved to the townhomes from the condos that my kids wouldn't want to go over to the main pool. They didn't! They were perfectly happy in the small townhouse pool. I think they liked the fact that it was all ours.

If anyone would like the info for the two owners we have worked with that were wonderful, just PM me.

OP--I am sorry you had a bad experience. Ours was different...

We were there in June 2014 and we had a very good experience. We were in 7682. There were a few issues, but we just phoned the property manager, Donna, and she took care of it.

I don't have an i-anything, but DDiL does. She used 2 of the 4. We had to unplug the one in the Mickey room bc DS3 kept playing with it. We plugged back in when we left.

We also were given the owner's direct phone numbers. If there would have been the issues you had, I would have phoned them also. I hope you were able to receive some compensation for the problems.

One of the threads has my full report...:confused3

This is sad to hear. Not all of homes are not managed by the same company. There are numerous companies that do property management in Windsor Hills. It's just too bad that this experience ruined WH for you. There are some really beautiful, CLEAN, homes there. Hope your next stay near Disney World is more magical, as it should be!

YUP! We loved WH and our 6 bdrm house was super clean. We are doing our next vacation at WH Sept 2015 and picked a different house just because the kids wanted different themed rooms. I am hoping for the same experience. We didn't use that company...I can't even find it through a google search. Go to all stars vacation rental or windsor hills rent dot com.

ETA that in both cases I found the homes on those sites, but we booked directly through the owners not through the company. We find that works better in our experience and we rent homes when we vacation a lot.

Update: the owner sent me an email asking how our stay was. I summarized what I said here and said I would probably not stay again. He said my report is incredibly rare and he is inspecting the unit today himself to personally see what needs to be fixed. He also said he will be getting a new cleaning crew. On top of all that, he made me an extremely generous offer to "make things right" that was just to generous for us accept. So...I guess I would say our experience was a fluke and to get the owner of your unit on the phone ASAP if the room is not up to par.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I'm glad to hear that the owner was interested in making things right. We have an upcoming Thanksgiving stay booked at WH and will keep that in mind if the unit isn't up to par.

Really appreciate the reviews. We are thinking of staying at WH next summer. I'd love to have PMs with the names of good owners and ones to avoid. I'd send PMs, but I just joined and haven't made enough posts to send PMs yet :-)

Thanks!

We stayed at WH in 2012. It was our first off property stay and probably ruined us for staying on property. The cost was hands down the best investment we've ever made on a Disney trip. We used VRBO..search Disney Dreamin' Fitzclarence Street. Plenty big for our family of 4, plunge pool, so close to parks, parked 10 feet from the front door and it was an end unit....we never heard a peep from our one neighbor. This unit books up fast so make plans early.

We had a wonderful experience at Windsor Hills last year. The TV in the living room of our townhouse stopped working while we were there, which could have been a real bummer. But the owner was wonderfully responsive. Even though she lives in Texas, she had a local handyman who bought a new TV and delivered it the very next day. We came back from the parks and there was a brand new TV, all hooked up and ready to go. The place was very clean, and I liked that there were no specific cleaning requirements when we left. I'm glad we didn't have to do laundry before we left!

We went to WH for the 1st time this past July. We did not stay in Dave's units but I do get his emails & love the prices he offers. Never work for me since we aren't Sat-Sat vacationers.

For those worried:

We stayed through Story Time rentals, 3 bedroom condo. I actually really liked it! Our place was pretty clean. Nicely decorated. The Mickey bedroom was an added bonus for the kids! Super cute. Loved the location. The pool that came with our unit was small but it worked out for the kids to relax in while we made dinner etc. I have stayed at many timeshare places throughout the years; Vistana, Orange Lake, Westgate, Silver Lake etc. This place was comparable. I liked the extra room, washer & dryer is a huge pro for my family of 6!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter